#1 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

So I'm sitting here trying to figure out what parts I need to connect my 30' 1/2" HERMS coil to my HLT. I have 1/2" SS couplers welded into place, so should I be using a 1/2" CxM Copper union?

#2 SWAGMAN

SWAGMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWACK AKA KANSAS CITY KANSAS

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

A couple of pictures would help. But you can go many different ways, hard pipe to soft or start off with soft. Union's yes if you want to take it a part. Dominus VobiscumSwagman :lol:

#3 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19171 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

It kind of sounds to me we want to connect the coil to the HLT? Usually you just put the coil in the tank. Need more info.On mine, I run a 1/2 ID hose from my pump to the coil, the out the coil to the MLT. On the coil I sweated 1/2-inch female pipe fittings, and use Swag's tri-clovers.

#4 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

I don't have any pictures yet as the kegs are off getting the couplers welded in.I have 30' of 1/2" refriration tubing coiled in a circle. I need to figure out how to connect the ends of the coil to the keg. i was thinking something like this.Sorry for my crappy Paint skills.Posted Image

#5 SWAGMAN

SWAGMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWACK AKA KANSAS CITY KANSAS

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

[quote name='HarvInSTL' date='Mar 26 2009, 11:24 AM' post='498']I don't have any pictures yet as the kegs are off getting the couplers welded in.I have 30' of 1/2" refriration tubing coiled in a circle. I need to figure out how to connect the ends of the coil to the keg. i was thinking something like this.Sorry for my crappy Paint skills.Posted Image/quote]That will workCrappy heck you should see mine :lol: Dominus VobiscumSwagman :)PS Myself like to see Tri Clover's instead of quick connects but it will work for a while. :)

#6 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19171 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

Oh, I get it now. You already have the couplers installed? Otherwise, I'd suggest making it like an immersion chiller and just come up the top. $0.02.

#7 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2656 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hey Swagman -Are you still selling those tri-clovers? If so, you might want to post in the new classifieds. Someday, when I finally get around to building that dream system that we all have in the back of our heads, I'd like to go tri-clover thoughout.sorry for the hijack, too.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47781 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

Looks to me like that would work fine. You priced unions recently, though. *whew*

#9 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hey Swag...what's the part number for those McMaster QDs?

#10 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

Looks to me like that would work fine. You priced unions recently, though. *whew*

In 1/2" the CxM are $5.91. The CxC are $3.39. The CxF are $7.48.I'm going to use CxC w/ my bazooka T in my boil kettle and the CxM in the HLT for the HERMS coil.

#11 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

I like the idea of a union so that you can easily remove the coil. My HERMS coil uses compression fittings with o-rings instead of the brass compression ring. It makes it easy to remove to clean either the keg or the outside of the coil. Yes, I know that theoretically you should not need to remove it, but I seem to always find a way to make it necessary. Usually through some screw up on my part.

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

I was planning to just use 1/2" MPT to 1/2" compression fitting adapters.Although the idea of soldering a union on would probably make removal a bit easier.

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47781 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Hey Swag...what's the part number for those McMaster QDs?

Not Swag, but those look like "my" QD's which are called 'Brass Coolant Hose Couplings.' Male connectors (p/n 6739K59) and female hose connectors (p/n 6739K64).

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

I was planning to just use 1/2" MPT to 1/2" compression fitting adapters.Although the idea of soldering a union on would probably make removal a bit easier.

+1.If your coil is soft copper use a 1/2" MPT to 1/2" compression fitting. They're just as easy, if not easier to remove than unions. Probably more expensive, but the better solution IMO. I prefer Swagelok (or the McMaster version 'Yor-Lok'). Looks like it's $8.26 for brass (5272K199) and $17.49 for stainless (5182K135). Either one will work with the copper tubing.

#15 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12960 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

I have the full couplers welded to the keg and attach HERMS with a 1/2" male adapter. The HERMS itself is soldered to the adapter so no removing it unless I de-solder the fittings. Hopefully I wont have to but you never know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users