#1 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10394 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hard cider. "crisp" variety, so good. Love me cider in the warm weather.

#2 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Was expecting something more like this;Posted ImageI am disappoint.

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19182 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

So many better cider choices out there.

This.Woodchuck is the BMC of ciders.

#4 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

This.Woodchuck, and Hornsby's are the BMC of ciders.

better

#5 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10394 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Educate me

#6 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm not the biggest cider lover, but my wife loves Angry Orchard and Crispin.

#7 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43700 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:47 AM

Woodchuck is a good gateway beverage for chicks (who don't drink beer) whose panties you'd like to get in. Fact.

#8 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

https://www.calvados...rs-calvados.htmDuPont's Cidre Bouche is usually available at better bottle shops.

#9 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Yall know you can make this stuff yourself right? I have even heard there are forums dedicated to such endeavors.It is a perry, but I have gotten and really enjoyed the Ace Pear Cider from California. I have not had any truly stunning artisan perrys before, but that one is quite good.

#10 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

Woodchuck and Hornsby's are the easiest to get, all over the US.I just tried Angry Orchard, i wasn't a fan. In the past I would drink Hardcore Cider or Cider Jack (do they still make that?)I wish there were better choices around here. That damn Hornsby's tastes like apple juice sometimes, goes down too easy.

#11 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28136 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Original Sin is another good one. My wife drinks a lot of ciders since she has Celiacs. Just about every restaurants here have a cider on tap now. Angry Orchard seems to be the most common.MB

#12 DownEastBrewer

DownEastBrewer

Comptroller of Being an Ass Hats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3493 posts
  • LocationUpper Righthand Corner, USA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Original Sin is another good one. My wife drinks a lot of ciders since she has Celiacs. Just about every restaurants here have a cider on tap now. Angry Orchard seems to be the most common.MB

Mainely have you tried the new Downeast Cider locally? I've had it on tap at a couple places in town, and their quality is definitely improving. First time I had it, was definitely green and young. I've had it since, and really enjoyed it.On a related side note - we need to grab dinner together at 18 Below - my new favorite restaurant in town.

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

I had a bottle last night of B. Nektar Zombie Killer Cherry Cyser.....Holy shit! If you can find this, you will be very happy!

#14 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28136 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Mainely have you tried the new Downeast Cider locally? I've had it on tap at a couple places in town, and their quality is definitely improving. First time I had it, was definitely green and young. I've had it since, and really enjoyed it.On a related side note - we need to grab dinner together at 18 Below - my new favorite restaurant in town.

I've had the cider, and wasn't all that impressed....but it was quite a while ago when they first started up. I bet they have gotten better.The wife and I were talking about headed to 18 below, just yesterday....that we need to go there before it closes up. :P That location never seems to carry a restaurant that long. We never got to cattlemans BBQ before they closed down. I'm in. Problem is finding time. I am playing softball 1-2 games a week. 1 day dedicated to mowing...and then Friday - Sunday at camp. That's pretty much my life. MB

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

That is really good. But it is a cyser, not a cider.

That is really good. But it is a cyser, not a cider.

Yeah, true, but it is only like 6% ABV. I need to figure out how to make this though

#16 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

I am not sure how they got so much honey, apple, and cherry flavor in there keeping the ABV so low.

#17 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

I am not sure how they got so much honey, apple, and cherry flavor in there keeping the ABV so low.

do you think they switch between anaerobic and aerobic fermentation to control the alcohol concentration?

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I am with Rich here. It is a touch on the sweet side, which helps with the honey.

#19 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

I'm doing a month off of gluten, just to see, so I've been a cider drinker for a couple of weeks. The amber is okay, but I like some of the flavors in their variety pack better. I don't expect the gluten-free thing to stick, but I'm still contemplating trying to make a batch of cider. It's not like the carboys are full of anything else. :) In fact, in the past my wife has bought glass gallon jugs of preservative-free (soft) cider. I'm tempted to pick up one of those, thrown in a vial of WL Cider yeast, shove an airlock in the mouth and see what happens. Maybe pour off just a little first to give it some headspace.

#20 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have never tried out the cider yeast, but I have heard mixed reviews on it. A guy in my club has won national cidermaker of the year among many other awards and he uses white wine yeast, although I can't recall the strain off the top of my head. I know a guy who has a large apple orchard who recently opened a cidery (is that a word?). He actually came into the brewery today to share some of his work. Great stuff. https://www.blackbirdciders.com/ Scott is his name and he knows a lot about ciders and if you have any questions, shoot him an email and I am sure he will get back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users