26 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

Anyone ever try it. I have read about it a few times but have not done it. Basic premise is you finish your boil and just move the wort right to your fermenter to cool down naturally. This time savings I would see would maybe be 30-45 minutes and I can only see really wanting to do it for non-hoppy beers. You also have to adjust the hopping times to make up for the long "steep" I have read of people waiting multiple weeks to ferment the beer out after being placed in a sealed fermenter. Just curious if anyone has tried it and if so what their experience has been.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

The closest I've been is about 4 hours the first time I took the CFC out of mothballs. Wasn't cold enough to pitch since I didn't post chill inline. My concerns would be bad bugs getting a headstart and simply forgetting to pitch the yeast. But I think it's not uncommon with some of the Aussie homebrewers. I'm not willing to chance it after putting 4 - 5 hours into a brew. IIRC this is how Granite City does it since they truck the wort to their brewpubs.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

I'm not willing to chance it after putting 4 - 5 hours into a brew.

That is another one of my concerns. All the time, effort nad money put into producing the wort and having the chance of a sub-par result. I have always tried to chill my wort as fast as possible.

#4 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

Are there any other benefits other than convenience? Do you get better aroma extraction from the late hops? I see too many disadvantages to try unless you live in a desert.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16529 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

We all know Granite City beer isn't very good.

#6 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

isn't it going to take forever (at least in brewer's time) for it to cool to pitching temperatures?

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

isn't it going to take forever (at least in brewer's time) for it to cool to pitching temperatures?

Seems like a day is common.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Are there any other benefits other than convenience?

that's what I'm wondering.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

Are there any other benefits other than convenience? Do you get better aroma extraction from the late hops? I see too many disadvantages to try unless you live in a desert.

The below are from homebrewtalk. I see the advantages limited compared to the disadvantages. Advantages:- minimal outlay (no chiller required to make all grain beer, only a cube)- minimal time required (the time usually allocated to chill the wort is avoided on brew day)- minimal water required (ie sanitisation only)- storability of the wort for extended periods (wort production does not have to coincide with yeast starter preparation)- ability to make wort in bulk and store for later fermentation- portability of wort in the cube Disadvantages:Some research into the no-chill method will bring up some criticism of the method. Arguments against include- Beer haziness- Problems with long term beer stability- Loss of hop aroma- Increased bitterness- Leeching plastic- DMS production- And, in the extreme, the risk of botulism (a deadly anaerobic bacteria)

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

why does it sounds like they are storing the wort in their mash tun?

#11 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

to link it to studs thread on starter wort, it seems like this no chill chill method would be a way to allow time for you to collect some wort from your boil, make a starter, and then pitch it when the wort cools...but it would only give you about a day to get the starter going.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

to link it to studs thread on starter wort, it seems like this no chill chill method would be a way to allow time for you to collect some wort from your boil, make a starter, and then pitch it when the wort cools...but it would only give you about a day to get the starter going.

a day can be enough. I'd be too nervous about leaving wort for that long with no yeast in it. seems really risky.

#13 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

a day can be enough. I'd be too nervous about leaving wort for that long with no yeast in it. seems really risky.

i've let it sit for a day a couple of times when i didn't have the yeast that i thought i had and had to wait until the next day to run to the lhbs. nothing has happened, but i was nervous.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

i've let it sit for a day a couple of times when i didn't have the yeast that i thought i had and had to wait until the next day to run to the lhbs. nothing has happened, but i was nervous.

CON: lack of sleep. :lol:

#15 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

lol

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

why does it sounds like they are storing the wort in their mash tun?

They are calling the fermenter a cube. It is basically a square plastic container.Posted Image

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

If it was sealed in a container that I put it in hot I would not worry about a day. In container that does not seal well .. then I would be pacing!

#18 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

If it was sealed in a container that I put it in hot I would not worry about a day. In container that does not seal well .. then I would be pacing!

As it gradually cooled in one of those, might it create something of a vacuum?

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

As it gradually cooled in one of those, might it create something of a vacuum?

I would think so .. you bring up a good point. I would think that when you open it you would chance sucking in "stuff." Unless you can puch your yeast into the fermetner with CO2.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54177 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

The closest I ever came was once when I was brewing in the winter and there was a ton of snow. I figured I'd place the kettle in a snow bank, pack the snow around it and clean up the garage. I kept going back and repacking the snow around it and after 20-30 minutes, the beer was down in the 60-70° range. I saw a few other homebrewers do this in the past at "group brew days". Otherwise, I don't think I would wait a day for the wort temp to naturally come down. 2¢.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users