#1 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Broke my second ^#^#(@ erlenmeyer flask so i made my starter in a glass growler. What I like about the flask is that I can throw it on the stove and boil the starter without transferring to another container so...Can I boil my starter wort in a glass growler directly on the stove?

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Broke my second ^#^#(@ erlenmeyer flask so i made my starter in a glass growler. What I like about the flask is that I can throw it on the stove and boil the starter without transferring to another container so...Can I boil my starter wort in a glass growler directly on the stove?

I would not reccomend that.

#3 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Very bad idea.

#4 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

Use a sauce pan, its more work but safe

#5 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1964 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

Erlenmeyers are Pyrex which is why they can go directly on the stove... growlers are made of soft glass and are not made for the heat extremes of a stove... don't do it.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

So in other words, using a flask on the stove doesn't work well and at the very least risky. Which is why I stopped doing it.

#7 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

No, the Erlenmeyer flask CAN take the heat extreme... I use mine on my gas burner stove all the time and then plunge it into an ice bath when I'm done boiling... try that with a growler and it won't be pretty and in fact could be deadly when it explodes

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

No, the Erlenmeyer flask CAN take the heat extreme... I use mine on my gas burner stove all the time and then plunge it into an ice bath when I'm done boiling... try that with a growler and it won't be pretty and in fact could be deadly when it explodes

For awhile. People break these things on electric coils all the time (not recommended). The little metal ring isn't safe either. People break Pyrex and Erlenmeyer on gas stoves as well. Haven't read about it for awhile but in years past lots of people were breaking these on gas. Plus going from heat to cold to chill the starter wort people were reporting cracking these things.

#9 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

For awhile. People break these things on electric coils all the time (not recommended). The little metal ring isn't safe either. People break Pyrex and Erlenmeyer on gas stoves as well. Haven't read about it for awhile but in years past lots of people were breaking these on gas. Plus going from heat to cold to chill the starter wort people were reporting cracking these things.

all I know is what works for me *knock on wood*

#10 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Do not put a growl directly onto a heat source as it will crack or explode on you.Do not heat shock pyrex as it can crack or explode (so no stove to ice bath). Borosilicate glass has very high temp tolerance but is not a big fan of thermal shock, it will do better than other types of glass but it too can crack/break/etcIn the lab I have shattered pyrex by doing this very thing, came out uninjured

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

you can double boil that growler perhaps

#12 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Do not put a growl directly onto a heat source as it will crack or explode on you.Do not heat shock pyrex as it can crack or explode (so no stove to ice bath). Borosilicate glass has very high temp tolerance but is not a big fan of thermal shock, it will do better than other types of glass but it too can crack/break/etcIn the lab I have shattered pyrex by doing this very thing, came out uninjured

so you're telling me I've been lucky all this time?

#13 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

I don't know if I would say lucky but with all of the continued stress being placed on the glass it will break at some point. All I can say is it scared the crap out of me when I cracked pyrex at work, didn't explode but instead had long line cracks radiating in several directions from one central location.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

I boil my starters in a pot, let it rest for a little while with a sanitized lid on. Then put the whole thing in the sink with some ice. Made a 0.5 gal starter last night.Cheers,Rich

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

No, just saying be careful because it can happen is all.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

probably safer to have an intermediate cooling bath of warm water before the ice water

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

So in other words, using a flask on the stove doesn't work well and at the very least risky. Which is why I stopped doing it.

+ eleventy billion

#18 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Pyrex or borosilicate is heat tolerant due a VERY low thermal expansion rate.Unlike most solids it does not expand much at all as heated.Note the much at all.If you create enough expansion on the bottom or cool a particular section for that matter so that stress is induced in to the structure from this expansion / contraction, it will crack / break / explode.Plain old glass high in iron will expand quite a bit.If it is heated unevenly this hot section will attempt to expand faster than the cool section and crack bam boom.

Edited by Buzz Buzzard, 18 May 2012 - 10:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users