#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:09 AM

Anyone have a tried and true? How about the correct yeast? Might be a fun beer to try make this summer.

#2 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Great name for a beer. Does it come with lorazepam?

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

I have seen clones around, but I don't have any experience with them, so I can't give a recommendation for the recipe. For the yeast though, I would buy a 750 of it and then culture up a started from it. There is always a shitload of yeast in those bottles, so it shouldn't be too hard.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I have seen clones around, but I don't have any experience with them, so I can't give a recommendation for the recipe. For the yeast though, I would buy a 750 of it and then culture up a started from it. There is always a shitload of yeast in those bottles, so it shouldn't be too hard.

the problem there is you first have to confirm that they don't filter the yeast and then use some other strain to condition/carb the beer. after a lot of effort I managed to do this for ommegang.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

sounds like some people have harvested yeast and like the results. I'm seeing 85% pils, 15% sugar for the fermentables. I see people doing decoctions but I'd be tempted to just toss in a little bit of aromatic and call it good enough. not sure on the right mash schedule - I could try doing another infusion mash I guess. hops seems to be styrian goldings and saaz which makes sense. then for other stuff we are looking at coriander, GOP and fresh ginger. where's a good place to get cheap GOP in smaller quantities? if they are good for cooking I guess I might not mind having more - I've never used them in anything.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

I think black pepper makes a good sub for GoP.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

I think black pepper makes a good sub for GoP.

whole peppercorns or ground up?

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

I grind mine just like I would for seasoning food.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

I grind mine just like I would for seasoning food.

nice. other than the yeast I have all the stuff to make this. first I need to do the community brew though ;)

any thoughts on mashing? how about when to add the sugar? during the boil or after fermentation starts?

#10 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19179 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Anyone have a tried and true? How about the correct yeast? Might be a fun beer to try make this summer.

I have a recipe I've made a couple times that I like. My notes are at home, though. Off the top of my head, I think it is Belgian Pils, Lyle's Golden Syrup, Styrian Goldings, and a huge starter of WY1214 -- no extra spices added, no yeast cultured from a bottle.

IIRC, I mashed into an enamel steel pot at 145, put that in my oven at 170 (the lowest setting), and let the enzymes work for 8 hours. The temperature had only gone up to the lower 150s at the end of the all day mash, because air-to-liquid heat transfer is so slow across such a small temperature differential.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Mash low, this beer is pretty dry. Decoction seems odd for this, I would just do a single infustion. You will have enough malt in there to give you the flavor at the quantities needed. Add the sugar at the end of the boil. I am not sure about the spices in this beer, if any. In all honesty, I am not a hug fan of it. I mean it is good, just not something I drink regularly, so I couldn't tell you without having a glass of it in front of me.

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have a recipe I've made a couple times that I like. My notes are at home, though. Off the top of my head, I think it is Belgian Pils, Lyle's Golden Syrup, Styrian Goldings, and a huge starter of WY1214 -- no extra spices added, no yeast cultured from a bottle.

IIRC, I mashed into an enamel steel pot at 145, put that in my oven at 170 (the lowest setting), and let the enzymes work for 8 hours. The temperature had only gone up to the lower 150s at the end of the all day mash, because air-to-liquid heat transfer is so slow across such a small temperature differential.

Why did you mash like this?

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

In all honesty, I am not a hug fan of it. I mean it is good, just not something I drink regularly, so I couldn't tell you without having a glass of it in front of me.

what aspect don't you like about it?

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

nice. other than the yeast I have all the stuff to make this. first I need to do the community brew though ;)

any thoughts on mashing? how about when to add the sugar? during the boil or after fermentation starts?

Boy, I haven't had DT in quite a while (or the DTs either for that matter). Mash low and long (high 140's for 90 minutes). You can add the sugar post-boil if you want. It's a little kinder to the yeast that way. I generally add it at the end of the boil.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

I can't remember... :blush: I think the booze is out of balance maybe.... IDK. Like I said, I like it, just not my fave. I probably get bottles that are stored very poorly as well

#16 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19179 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Why did you mash like this?

To get higher attenuation. There are diminishing returns from a longer mash, which is why you have to REALLY long to have an effect.

#17 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

To get higher attenuation. There are diminishing returns from a longer mash, which is why you have to REALLY long to have an effect.

I am still confused.

#18 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19179 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

I am still confused.

A longer mash means more time for the enzymes to work, and results in more simple sugars for yeast to digest and fewer complex unfermentable sugars. Although most of the beta amylase gets denatured in the first hour or so because of its short half-life at mash temperatures, the alpha amylase is able to keep working, and over time can produce more simple sugars and alpha-limit polysaccharides.

#19 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19179 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

The actual recipe:

12 lbs belgian pils
7 oz Munich
5 oz Belgian Biscuit
3 oz aromatic
2.5 lbs invert sugar (I used Lyle's Golden Syrup)

1.25 oz of Styrian Goldings for bittering
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings, 0.25 oz Saaz for flavor
0.25 oz Saaz for aroma

Wyeast 1214

#20 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

A longer mash means more time for the enzymes to work, and results in more simple sugars for yeast to digest and fewer complex unfermentable sugars. Although most of the beta amylase gets denatured in the first hour or so because of its short half-life at mash temperatures, the alpha amylase is able to keep working, and over time can produce more simple sugars and alpha-limit polysaccharides.

Once conversion is done, it is done, no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users