#1 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87564 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

my wife and I both have totally fallen for this beer, anyone got a decent clone of it???

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

my wife and I both have totally fallen for this beer, anyone got a decent clone of it???

I really want to try this beer, but it is really expensive here. I think it is like 12.00 for four bottles.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Visit my website

#4 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87564 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

I really want to try this beer, but it is really expensive here. I think it is like 12.00 for four bottles.

go get it, it is totally worth it, might be the best ipa i've ever had...

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87564 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

Visit my website

how did it turn out??? good clone?? can you still discern the chocolate notes and etc???

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64102 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

Visit my website

How'd it come out?

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64102 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

It's expensive everywhere, man.

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

I have tried many many times to get this one right. I brewed the BYO recipe along with my own variations and hunches. None of them ever come out like 90 min. Good IIPA, but alas... If anyone can do this clone, I would love to trade.

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

The beer actually didn't turn out all that good but I think that was my fault, not the recipe. IIRC, that recipe came directly from Sam to the pages of BYO so it should be pretty legit. If you brew it, pay attention to the note at the bottom about adding the hops. For the sake of simplicity of the recipe the hops are all added at 90 minutes but of course that's not how it's really done.

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87564 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

The beer actually didn't turn out all that good but I think that was my fault, not the recipe. IIRC, that recipe came directly from Sam to the pages of BYO so it should be pretty legit. If you brew it, pay attention to the note at the bottom about adding the hops. For the sake of simplicity of the recipe the hops are all added at 90 minutes but of course that's not how it's really done.

sounds like i need to do a manual version of the hopinator...

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, that's what I did. Every 7.5 minutes I added a little more. By the end, I was just throwing them in one cone at a time.

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

I literally broke my additions into 30 second intervals a few times.... Required some assistance from eager to learn noobs. I have read though that these hops and this article were not necessarily the way they brew it, but a "version" of it. I guess they change the recipe a bit from time to time. I have no hard evidence, but 90 min is wayyyyy different now than it was back when I first had it in 2001 or 2002. I guess even that I can't really verify, since my palate is different, but still. This beer is elusive to me. I gave up trying to clone it when the hop prices went through the roof. I think that the other consideration is that DFH has access to the headiest, dankest, most chronic hops. Seems like all I get is schwag at my LHBS, if you know what I mean, and I know you do. 2 year old pellets will NOT cut it in this brew. Gotta have the freshies. And LOTS of them...

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

I literally broke my additions into 30 second intervals a few times.... Required some assistance from eager to learn noobs. I have read though that these hops and this article were not necessarily the way they brew it, but a "version" of it. I guess they change the recipe a bit from time to time. I have no hard evidence, but 90 min is wayyyyy different now than it was back when I first had it in 2001 or 2002. I guess even that I can't really verify, since my palate is different, but still. This beer is elusive to me. I gave up trying to clone it when the hop prices went through the roof. I think that the other consideration is that DFH has access to the headiest, dankest, most chronic hops. Seems like all I get is schwag at my LHBS, if you know what I mean, and I know you do. 2 year old pellets will NOT cut it in this brew. Gotta have the freshies. And LOTS of them...

DFH did change their recipe at some point, specifically the hops due to availability. So you're right, this is but one version of DFH 90. One mistake I made is that I accidentally scooped the malt out of the wrong bin and used pale malt instead of pilsner. :chug: I'm not sure if that made much difference in the outcome but it could have. When I brewed it, I used whole hops because that's what I had access to. DFH uses pellets. I also know that the Simcoe/Amarillo combo is a pretty classic pairing. The pine from the Simcoe and the peach/apricot from the Amarillo work very well together. I don't remember what hops were used in the original but it was very different.

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

I am currently and almost done reading Brewing up a Business and I remember Sam talking about his Sir Hops a Lot and the 60 90 and 120 min IPA's. I thought he says that each one coordinates to the length of time for continuous hopping. I have not had this beer in a long time though too. I plan to seek it out though, recipe looks good. I had heard they us MO in their beers as well.

#15 Pseudolus

Pseudolus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

Sam C himself mentioned at NHC this year that, for a time, they had to hop 60min/90min manually themselves. They called it the "Sam's a m**********r" method. 'Cause there's be a brewer standing over the boil kettle throwing in a handful of hops ever 60 seconds and saying "Sam's a m***********!" every time. So there's precedent.

#16 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

DFH did change their recipe at some point, specifically the hops due to availability. So you're right, this is but one version of DFH 90. One mistake I made is that I accidentally scooped the malt out of the wrong bin and used pale malt instead of pilsner. :chug: I'm not sure if that made much difference in the outcome but it could have. When I brewed it, I used whole hops because that's what I had access to. DFH uses pellets. I also know that the Simcoe/Amarillo combo is a pretty classic pairing. The pine from the Simcoe and the peach/apricot from the Amarillo work very well together. I don't remember what hops were used in the original but it was very different.

I have made a Simcoe/Centennial/Amarillo combo IPA three times, It is Great. The best was the first one where i used the three aforementioned hops as bittering hops in equal amounts too. After that i used magnum and others for bittering. Not the same as the first. Should go back to the original for me. Some great hops.

#17 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

I haven't had the 90 in a while but just had some 60 minute and it tastes different than I remember, so I do think they may change the recipe or at least the hop schedule based on what "chronic" hops they can get - well put Doobah. I am going to be in Gaithersburg later this month just around the corner from the DFH taproom where we hold business "meetings" when I go out there to the office. I think I am going to have to sample the 90 again. I usually stick with the 75 which is a blend of 60 and 90 that AFAIK you can only get at their taprooms.

#18 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

The recipe Mtn posted is the ticket. Only difference in my recipe is I used Franco Belgian Pilsner malt instead of MO. I did a blind taste test amongst some of my non-beer brewing friends (so take it for what it's worth) and they couldn't tell the 2 apart and I agreed. If there was a difference in the taste/aroma it was something pretty subtle. Take away the blind part though and they picked mine out right away as it was a shade darker than the real deal.DFH 90 min is one of my all time favorite beers. Of everything they make I think it is the best balanced.

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

Only difference in my recipe is I used Franco Belgian Pilsner malt instead of MO.

Yeah, I goofed and used MO by mistake. I definitely would recommend pilsner malt for this one.

#20 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

Looking at that Promash report MTN I would have expected a higher FG based on my impression of the 90-min. I always thought it had an appreciable amount of sweetness to balance the hops. Anyways, that's great attenuation. Strangebrewer - did you mash also at 149? Just curious if yours had similar OG/FG since it was obviously a good clone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users