#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Awesome Beer. Any comments on the hop schedule for this?

#2 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

I remember reading somewhere about a clone of this beer that turned out great. I took down the recipe this is what I've got: 90% Pale Ale Malt 5% Crystal 60L 5% Carafa Special III (2-3 oz) Chinook at 60 min to target 100 IBU (calculated) 2 oz Amarillo at whirlpool* 2 oz Simcoe at whirlpool* 2 oz Amarillo dry hop 5 days 2 oz Simcoe dry hop 5 days WLP007 *In Stone's whirlpool, they let the wort sit hot for 30 min before they start transfer and chilling. The transfer takes 60 min. Following the process that the dudes at Can You Brew it, I would either employ a whirlpool rest for the 30 min or add the whirlpool hops at 20-30 min.

#3 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Yup, that's the recipe I've seen referenced several places, one of which was the BrewingTV episode on CDAs.

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

100 IBU's right off the front end?That seems to off balanced to me. I can see the whirlpool and dry hop additions. But Id think maybe going about 35% of the total IBU's on top and bash it late to get the rest.

#5 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

It's starting to look like 60 minute additions top out around 50-55 IBU, so it might not matter, bitterness-wise, that you add "100 IBU" up front. Any additional IBUs beyond ~50 seem to have to come from later additions and might then top out at about 90 IBU, in the real world.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

*In Stone's whirlpool, they let the wort sit hot for 30 min before they start transfer and chilling. The transfer takes 60 min. Following the process that the dudes at Can You Brew it, I would either employ a whirlpool rest for the 30 min or add the whirlpool hops at 20-30 min.

DMS??? cold break? I thought chilling ASAP was good for the beer.

#7 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hop stands/ whirlpools (brewery whirlpool, not JZ whirlpool) are commonly used by production breweries out of necessity, but can be a great way to get hop flavor and aroma into a beer. It really improves the contribution you get from flameout hops.

DMS shouldn't be a problem with a malt bill like that or a decent boil. You'll still get cold break when you chill the beer after the whirlpool.

#8 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

That looks about dead on to the recipe I've made, it was so good we made it again two weeks ago, I can't wait for it to be ready.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

While not the same as a production brewery whirlpool, I have been adding in my zero minute hops and letting them sit in the pot with the heat off and the pump recirculating on for up to 20 minutes recently with no issues. I do make the necessary changes to the recipe though for the extra IBU's.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

While not the same as a production brewery whirlpool, I have been adding in my zero minute hops and letting them sit in the pot with the heat off and the pump recirculating on for up to 20 minutes recently with no issues. I do make the necessary changes to the recipe though for the extra IBU's.

I dont whirlpool chill but since I have a plate but I will add flame out hops and then whirlpool. My wort will sit hot until I can get it chilled. I have no DMS issues. I think the JZ way is pretty slick but not necessary as far as DMS is concerned.

Thanks for the input everyone so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users