#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hey everyone.. I'm planning on brewing this weekend. I usually just open the vial of white labs and dump in my fermenter and swirl it around a few times to mix. But yesterday I built a home-made stir-plate and it actually seems to be working just fine!So now I want to make my first starter to use on the stir plate. Anybody have some FAQ type info for me for my first venture into doing a starter?Thanks!

#2 notwoohoo

notwoohoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

Make a liter or so of 1.040 wort (use this calculator - here) in a sanitized flask and pitch the yeast into it. Put the stir bar in and place it on the stir plate. Cover the flask with sanitized aluminum foil. Let 'er spin for awhile.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

Make a liter or so of 1.040 wort (use this calculator - here) in a sanitized flask and pitch the yeast into it. Put the stir bar in and place it on the stir plate. Cover the flask with sanitized aluminum foil. Let 'er spin for awhile.

That's about it. Sanitize the stirbar too.Then try to remember not to dump the stirbar into the fermenter when you pitch.Which is why I have 2 stirbars :(

#4 notwoohoo

notwoohoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

That's about it. Sanitize the stirbar too.Then try to remember not to dump the stirbar into the fermenter when you pitch.Which is why I have 2 stirbars :(

Use the magnet on the outside of the flask trick :D Just secure the stir bar with a magnet when pitching the yeast into the fermenter.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

Use the magnet on the outside of the flask trick :( Just secure the stir bar with a magnet when pitching the yeast into the fermenter.

Awesome idea.. Hopefully I can get a stirbar at my LHBS. Right now I just have a magnet that looks like a stirbar. It works, but not sure if it is the right material to use.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

Use the magnet on the outside of the flask trick :( Just secure the stir bar with a magnet when pitching the yeast into the fermenter.

The trick is to remember...........

#7 notwoohoo

notwoohoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

The trick is to remember...........

True, I've forgotten before :(

#8 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

I like to make a starter, let it settle, then pour off the beer before pitching. Others just pitch the whole starter when it's at it's peak, so you've got that option too. One of these days I'm going to do a side by side comparison and see if it really makes a difference.One other note, I tend to use smaller starters with hefes because I find I get more flavour from the yeast when it has to reproduce.

#9 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

If you HBS doesn't have stir bars, I ordered from this ebay seller.I also purchases some centrifugal tubes for saving yeast. 50ml size. The seller combines shipping so it works out good.

#10 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

I bought some stirbars from ebay but, when I wanted more, I contacted the Chemistry Supply store at the university and bought some there. They were about $2.50 for 2" bars and $3.50 for 2.5" bars. Glassware is cheap too, so check out that option if you can.

#11 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

Do you guys use any of the funky shaped stir bars?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users