10 replies to this topic

#1 MetlGuy

MetlGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationYork, SC

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

With summer comming I wanted to share my favorite lawnmower beer. I prefer sitting Koln sipping a Sion to cutting the grass, but this gets me close.9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) 8.0 oz Munich Malt 8.0 oz Wheat Malt,2.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [(60 min)1 Pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Primary @62F

#2 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Dave!I'm drinking a Sunner at the moment and I kegged one similar to your's this past Sunday, and will be tasting it this weekend. I'm going up to the Hickory Hops judging Saturday, but I'm brewing an Old Ale Sunday; if you're bored and want to stop by for a while and try the Kolcsh, feel free to come by. Oh yea, I also have the following kegged last weekend that I'll also be tasting; a Dusseldorf Alt, a Cali-Common, and two Brown Ales. PhilThe one I just kegged:10# German Pils8 oz. Light Munich4 oz. Light German WheatSpalter and Mt Hood hopsWyeast 2565

#3 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12960 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

Love me some Kolsch. :( I have a good friend from Germany and I usually have one on tap for him. We just got back from Germany and I drank as many different styles as I could, but Fruh was the dominant one where we were at.

#4 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Love me some Kolsch. :( I have a good friend from Germany and I usually have one on tap for him. We just got back from Germany and I drank as many different styles as I could, but Fruh was the dominant one where we were at.

Cool! Where are you at in Tennessee and are you from there? My current manager is from Sweetwater and another co-worker, well former but still friend, is from just outside of Bristol.I didn't drink many Kolsch's while in Germany, but I did have a few. I can't remember which I liked best; it was 23-26 years ago.Phil

#5 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12960 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

I'm in Chattanooga. Been here about 6 years now but am originally from West TN. Not too far from Sweetwater but Bristol is a decent little haul.

#6 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

With summer comming I wanted to share my favorite lawnmower beer. I prefer sitting Koln sipping a Sion to cutting the grass, but this gets me close.9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) 8.0 oz Munich Malt 8.0 oz Wheat Malt,2.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [(60 min)1 Pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Primary @62F

One of my favorites too. I am in your mindset and have Kolsch up next on my list to brew after a Stout. Your recipe looks very close to mine. I use the same hops to about 27 IBU, so probably more like 1.5 oz? My grist is pretty much identical to yours. I ordered some of the "Kolsch" malt they have at NB right now for this next time to see how I like it. Supposedly it's from a maltster in or around Cologne or something like that.

#7 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

bottled my kolsch tuesday, so out of curiosity i'm going to enter a couple bottles in the microfest in st. louis with my double chocolate stout for feedback on how i'm doing. I agree. great summer drink, mine came in at low end 4.35%abv. but the flavor is good so far.

#8 ash

ash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

I just kegged my first batch of this year's Kolsch. This one is from Kenlenard's site. It will be the first Kolsch I hsave had on draft. Should be ready around May 1. I am stoked. I did something out of the ordinary on this one. I was pushed for time on the week I wasto brew, so I bought 2 smack packs of 2565 and put both of those puppies in a 5.5 gal. batch instead of making a starter. I fermented them @ 59 degrees and it was still pretty impressive to watch. Not to mention the huge cake I have sitting in the fridge now. I hadn't really planned on keeping the cake, since I normally make one batch of Kolsch per year, but I just had to keep this one.

#9 MetlGuy

MetlGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationYork, SC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

I just kegged my first batch of this year's Kolsch. This one is from Kenlenard's site. It will be the first Kolsch I hsave had on draft. Should be ready around May 1. I am stoked. I did something out of the ordinary on this one. I was pushed for time on the week I wasto brew, so I bought 2 smack packs of 2565 and put both of those puppies in a 5.5 gal. batch instead of making a starter. I fermented them @ 59 degrees and it was still pretty impressive to watch. Not to mention the huge cake I have sitting in the fridge now. I hadn't really planned on keeping the cake, since I normally make one batch of Kolsch per year, but I just had to keep this one.

With that much yeast, I wonder how the esters will come out. The 2565 is a little fruity ... the way I like Koelschs

#10 *_Guest_KlosterFocke_*

*_Guest_KlosterFocke_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

I ordered some of the "Kolsch" malt they have at NB right now for this next time to see how I like it.

I've used it in a couple of batches, and it is considerably darker and much more flavorful than the pilsner I usually use. I would recommend you eliminate the Munich and cut it 50/50 with Pilsner malt to keep the delicate malt profile and to keep the color pale.

#11 ash

ash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

With that much yeast, I wonder how the esters will come out. The 2565 is a little fruity ... the way I like Koelschs

I wonder that myself. I will definitley report how it turns out. 2565 is the yeast I have used in the past, just not as much of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users