#1 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28031 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

I know this falls in that gray area between venial and mortal sin, but hear me out. The wife and I eat a moderate breakfast every day consisting of a slice of toast with cheese, often a slice of deli ham or maybe bacon on it topped with one egg for her or 2 for me. We eat very healthy for lunches and dinner, so this was by far our vice when it comes to eating something daily that may not be the best for you with the nitrates involved. Now, this is not an all out replacement for us of the goodness that is pork, as those will still be weekend and special indulgences. We've been having this as a substitution for the last couple months now. It's quite good, I'd have to admit.We have been making the below in a triple batch and then freezing the patties and take out 2 each day and toss in the toaster oven as I fry up the eggs. And yes, I will never substitute butter as my frying media.Single batch recipe2 cups of black eye peas (or 1-15oz can undrained)1/2 cup gluten free potato flour1/4 cup finely chopped mushroom1 tablespoon tomato paste1 teaspoon crushed fennel (we do 1.5tsp as we like fennel)1 dash crushed red pepper1/2 tsp siracha (or addition)1 tsp basil1 sprig parsley finely chopped1/8 tsp pepper1tsp crushed rosemary1tsp sage1/2 tsp salt or soy sauce (we use soy sauce or tamari)Oil for frying.Use a stick blender to mash the beans and potato flour together, add mushrooms and the rest of the spices at the end and blend in.Drop the mixture into silver dollar sized pancakes into the hot pan and brown each side.Set on paper towel for a few minutes and then on a drying rack for an hour or so. This way when you freeze them, they don't stick together.MB

#2 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28287 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Sounds good. We've actually got some good various veggie patty reciepes. Once you understand they're not supposed to specifically take the place of meat and just look at them on their own they are quite good.

#3 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

My son became a vegan about 5 years ago. He has lost a ton of weight, I presume from removing cheese and dairy products. He has also become a barefoot runner - what can I say he is a tree hugging Californian.I tried being a vegan and lasted about 6 months. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but living in Virginia I had to give back into meat.Last year, we raised and slaughter a cow that we named Barbara Q. Then we did another one that was blind and we named Helen Cowler. I do have to say that we have most of the cow in a standup freezer. I prefer eating seafood and chicken even though I don't have any hyperlipidemia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users