#1 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14700 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

I participated in a 3 year vertical tasting of SN Bigfoot last night. 2012, 2011, and 2009. 2011 and 2009 were exquisite! 2012 was really good, but over the top. The others had mellowed out very nicely. I actually couldn't believe the difference between the '11 and '12. I wouldn't have thought the hops would have dropped out so much.Thanks to SN for such a fine beer.I have an 8 year vertical in my cellar!!

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

We've done a few Bigfoot verticals in our beer club over the years. The ones that most people seem to like the best are in the 3-5 year age range. At that stage the hops haven't faded completely and the malt is rich and complex.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31540 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

What do you guys do to keep the beer from calling your name all the time? When ever I try to age a beer, it is non-stop calling out to me. It's all "Ron, drink me. Drink me Ron " Lol

#4 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14700 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

What do you guys do to keep the beer from calling your name all the time? When ever I try to age a beer, it is non-stop calling out to me. It's all "Ron, drink me. Drink me Ron "Lol

I have the exact opposite problem. I put beers in my beer cellar (aka extra fridge) and they call out to me, too. However, they always say "Don't drink me now. You need to save me for something special."As such, I wind up with a fridge full of limited edition stuff and find that I often don't drink things until they are already past their prime.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

I have the exact opposite problem. I put beers in my beer cellar (aka extra fridge) and they call out to me, too. However, they always say "Don't drink me now. You need to save me for something special."As such, I wind up with a fridge full of limited edition stuff and find that I often don't drink things until they are already past their prime.

I am similar to this. I have been trying to desiced when to do a Bigfoot vertical, I have it back to 2005 and it just never seems like the right time.

#6 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14700 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

I am similar to this. I have been trying to desiced when to do a Bigfoot vertical, I have it back to 2005 and it just never seems like the right time.

Yeah, it's not like a 7 year vertical on a Barleywine is something you are going to do on a Tuesday night at home by yourself.We probably would have done more than 3 the other night, but I had an early meeting the next morning. I have '04-'12, with the exception of 2008. My sixer of 2008 was exposed to some extreme temps and had to be tossed.

#7 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

I hear ya. I almost need a 2nd frig just for the limited stuff because I never want to drink it. I've been sitting on a bunch of Olde Stock Ale, Bigfoot, Thomas Hardy and others for a long time. Waiting for that "special occasion" that never seems special enough. :(

#8 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

1 case for me, 1 case for SWMBO, and 1 case for the cellar (and do my best to forget they're there).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users