#1 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

What does the PH think of this? I think I'm a supporter of free speech, but I just don't like it. I'd feel the same way if someone did the equivalent during the Bush administration. It's just too disrespectful of the office for public display, imho.

#2 BeerBomber

BeerBomber

Comptroller of Brined Cucumber Liplocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7108 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, that should probably be taken down. Whether or not you agree with Barack, that shouldnt happen.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

I am with you. In fact, when I saw the thread title, I was thinking to myself, "oh man, really?"

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95556 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

What does the PH think of this? I think I'm a supporter of free speech, but I just don't like it. I'd feel the same way if someone did the equivalent during the Bush administration. It's just too disrespectful of the office for public display, imho.

I am a very strong supporter of free speech; I don't like it either, but I just don't feel right about saying anything even remotely resembling "it shouldn't be allowed."

#5 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95556 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

If I want to stand up in a public square and shout loud enough for the whole country to hear, "The President should go #### himself in the ass with a dildo" I should be allowed to do so. Any real difference here? honest question. Or does anyone disagree with my first sentence?

#6 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

If I want to stand up in a public square and shout loud enough for the whole country to hear, "The President should go #### himself in the ass with a dildo" I should be allowed to do so. Any real difference here? honest question. Or does anyone disagree with my first sentence?

I don't think that language is dignified enough for the public. It's tough though. Part of me feels you should be allowed to do so, but I don't think I should have to hear it unless I want to. I also don't want my little girl to hear what you're saying, because I'll be teaching her to communicate effectively, which involves toning down the emotion.

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Do you have the right to say it?YesIs it respectful and dignified speech?NoSpeak your mind in a public forum, but maintain a sense of dignity. There is a conservative talk show host here who had a bunch of bumper stickers printed that are the oval with letters in it. They read FUBO. If you need a little help here on the acronym, it is F U Barack Obama. Fine. You feel that way. But you look like a dick and you are in no way making me sympathetic to your feelings. I love our country and our ability to have a civil discourse. Yes, hyperbole and emotion will always get involved, and to a certain extent, it is kinda fun for everyone.But when it comes down to it, we all need to have enough respect for each other and our democratic system that we will respect what comes of it. This doesn't mean that we should roll over if something happens that we do not like, but it makes you, us, or your side look silly by saying things like "Go to Hell Barack" on a billboard.

#8 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8954 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yes, because if you don't know your audience, then you're already off the mark. If you shout such a thing to the general public, which includes children, then you're wrong.I felt much the same way about this: A state senator here at a "personhood" rally:
Spoiler
Agree or disagree, it's in poor taste.

Edited by Area Man, 29 February 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Pic no worky Area Man

#10 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8954 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Pic no worky Area Man

You got me before the edit.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

The chick who's ass is facing the camera is kinda nice in those velour protest pants.

#12 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22585 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

Not really an issue of free speech to me. The owner of the advertising media (billboards or bus stops) should just pull it as it is disrespectful. Respect the office even if you don't respect the person

#13 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

Not really an issue of free speech to me. The owner of the advertising media (billboards or bus stops) should just pull it as it is disrespectful. Respect the office even if you don't respect the person

Not pull it (signed contract?), be more diligent about what they sell space to in the future.

#14 *_Guest_repeew_*

*_Guest_repeew_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

Not pull it (signed contract?), be more diligent about what they sell space to in the future.

Agree with BlackBeerd... But overall, Im okay with it. Free speech is free speech, whether it disrespects someone or not, even the president. And I heart Barack if that matters :)

Edited by weeperow, 01 March 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31656 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

Legal I guess. No class.

#16 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15289 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

Meh. The language being used is just for shock value.It's served its purpose. If people are upset about it pull it. I don't get too excited when someone deliberatly attempts to obset people and gets the desired reaction.

#17 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

ETA: Rep. Jim Moran can go to hell.

#18 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24770 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

fwiw, i agree with the free speech side. let it stay.having said that, i think it says more about the group doing the advertising than it does about obama. hopefully, others see it the same way.

#19 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74376 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

didn't maxine waters tell republicans to go straight to hell a couple months back??

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31656 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

didn't maxine waters tell republicans to go straight to hell a couple months back??

that's different

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users