21 replies to this topic

#1 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

The recipe exchange forum definitely needs the JPA recipe. CJ?

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21323 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

I can fetch it if you like from somewhere :(

#3 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28420 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

https://www.homebrew...es/CJ_JPAAG.pdf

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

https://www.homebrew...es/CJ_JPAAG.pdf

:( 404!!

#5 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks!A gracious blue board member sent me a PM with a few versions of teh JPA. I'll wait for CJ to post them on the recipe forum.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Glad I downloaded them all a long time ago.Mike

#7 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21323 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

I can't get on the site. Anyone else?

#8 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28420 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

I can pull that link up fine.Edit: However I printed off all the recipes 3 years ago.

#9 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2659 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

If CJ feels like posting it, I would like to hear the evolution of the JPA recipe. I know there are several versions out there. Why has it changed, and what is considered the "official version".

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

If CJ feels like posting it, I would like to hear the evolution of the JPA recipe. I know there are several versions out there. Why has it changed, and what is considered the "official version".

I just brewed the JPA on 3/21. I followed the basic JPA All Grain recipe, but per CJ's suggestion I added 6oz of Special B which I think gave it this wonderful red/amber coloring that I am seeing in my carboy, and I also did a First Wort Hop with 2oz of Centennials. I'm just waiting for the yeast blobs to fall down to the bottom then I can throw it into secondary to clear up a little more, then keg it. :(Smells great through the airlock btw - my buddy came over last night and took a whiff and his response was "Holy shit that smells hoppy" hehe

#11 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

I was under the impression that the brew shop (AltBev and I think that HBA did too) changed the recipe depending on the grain and hop stock that they had on hand. I'd be interested to see what CJ's version looks like.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

For anyone that has just recently brewed the JPA (baddog) What yeast did you use? I brewed mine back in Dec, still on tap too but running low. Just curious since I thought Wyeast 1026 was the official JPA yeast. Just curious to ask though.

#13 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

For anyone that has just recently brewed the JPA (baddog) What yeast did you use? I brewed mine back in Dec, still on tap too but running low. Just curious since I thought Wyeast 1026 was the official JPA yeast. Just curious to ask though.

On the recipe that I got from the 'other' place, it said that you could use the WLP002 yeast instead. I will always choose to use the vial instead of the smack packs. I just really don't care for the smack packs, just personal preference.That WLP002 was a strange yeast for me though. Smelled like bread yeast, and had strange globs of yeast on top. See my photos at the end of this.Check out this site, has some great yeast info:https://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htmPosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by badogg, 01 April 2009 - 03:23 PM.

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

I hear ya Baddog. Last year was the first time I had heard or seen JPA so I was not sure what the original called for. I remember those pics from before too. Looks like it was a wild fermentation then for sure. I can't get WL local here so Wyeast has always been my yeast, no complaints though either.

#15 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Yeah man, I can't wait to taste this one. I've been wanting to make a real hoppy brew and this one smells like it is going to fit the bill nicely. I hope CJ is still here, he seemed a little put off in one of the discussions about the old place. I hope he is still here - he is a valuble resource..

#16 jwatkins56550

jwatkins56550

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

I just made an IPA but still, Im tempted to make this recipe. It's either this or jamil's hop burst. That fermentation looks like a super flocculant yeast...how does it smell?

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

I just made an IPA but still, Im tempted to make this recipe. It's either this or jamil's hop burst. That fermentation looks like a super flocculant yeast...how does it smell?

Out of the vial, it smelled like bread yeast - no kidding.. From the fermenter, the hop aroma's are too strong to get any yeast smells.. :(

#18 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26154 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Yeah man, I can't wait to taste this one. I've been wanting to make a real hoppy brew and this one smells like it is going to fit the bill nicely. I hope CJ is still here, he seemed a little put off in one of the discussions about the old place. I hope he is still here - he is a valuble resource..

IIRC today was his first day as a pro ... don't think he's gone...probably just busy with the new job.

#19 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28420 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

The true yeast for the recipe is the wyeast british cask which is only seasonal now and there is not a white labs conversion. However due to the yeast unavailability folks use a variety and no mater what you're going to get a tasty IPA. I've used 1968 a few times with really good results. I picked up the grain for this a couple weeks ago and in a hurry grabbed some 1098 so I'll give that a whirl.

#20 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:52 AM

I used 1026 for mine and I was more than pleased. I took CJ's suggestion and bought 2 packs of 1026. I still have one unopened and in the fridge. I reused the other pack for 3 brews. An English IPA, the JPA and an ESB. All were marvelous to say the least. It would be nice to see 1026 as a year round but hey you gotta use what you can get for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users