12 replies to this topic

#1 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96547 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

Dear Political Candidates,Unless you are a Libertarian I think you should stop describing yourself as standing for "Freedom."Sincerely,Guy who is tired of hearing people say in one breath that they support freedom and in the next breath start talking about how they'd restrict someone's freedom if they were President

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75399 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

*was waiting for "all political candidates running for office......... can DIAF" *

#3 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10394 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

*nods head*

#4 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43603 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

Unless you are a Libertarian I think you should stop describing yourself as standing for "Freedom."

:sarcasm:

#5 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96547 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

:sarcasm:

Roll your eyes all you want. I just watched Mitt Romney give a speech in which he told his supporters he stood for "Freedom" no less than 3 times. Now ask him how he feels about whether gays should be "free" to marry.

#6 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43603 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Roll your eyes all you want.

Thanks for giving me the freedom to do that. :P

Edited by thedisappearerer, 08 February 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#7 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22585 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

So unless they stand for zero restrictions they can't stand for freedom? Or just as long as they are for the limitations you agree with?Edit to fix Autocorrect

#8 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96547 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

So unless they stand for zero restrictions they can't stand for freedom?

Depends on what the restrictions are.It is not "freedom" to murder someone because you're taking away someone else's freedom to live. So I support restrictions on murder.I do not believe in, for the most part, restrictions on what happens between consenting adults. It's fine if some people do believe in restricting this type of behavior, but just don't try to tell me you support any kind of "Freedom" if you do.

#9 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22585 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Depends on what the restrictions are.It is not "freedom" to murder someone because you're taking away someone else's freedom to live. So I support restrictions on murder.I do not believe in, for the most part, restrictions on what happens between consenting adults. It's fine if some people do believe in restricting this type of behavior, but just don't try to tell me you support any kind of "Freedom" if you do.

So a president that is against legalizing all drugs isn't for freedom? Crimes that hurt other people are OK to be against but what about ones that really hurt nobody. Speeding doesn't hurt people but can a candidate be OK with speed zones? I know how you feel about dui checkpoints, if a candidate is OK with them are they not allowed to be in favor of freedom? How about those red light cameras? I am trying to figure out if this is really about freedom or really just about same Sex marriage.

#10 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17431 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

It's about libertarian puritianism. :)

#11 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96547 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

So a president that is against legalizing all drugs isn't for freedom?

Well, I guess you might be able to say he's in favor of some freedom for some people. He should admit this openly though, instead of just saying he stands for Freedom in general.

Speeding doesn't hurt people but can a candidate be OK with speed zones?I know how you feel about dui checkpoints, if a candidate is OK with them are they not allowed to be in favor of freedom?How about those red light cameras?I am trying to figure out if this is really about freedom or really just about same Sex marriage.

You seem to be having trouble figuring out which issues involve "consenting adults." If everyone who lives on a street and everyone who is currently driving down that street consents to letting you speed on that street, for example, then that comparison would make a little more sense.

#12 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22585 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Well, I guess you might be able to say he's in favor of some freedom for some people. He should admit this openly though, instead of just saying he stands for Freedom in general.You seem to be having trouble figuring out which issues involve "consenting adults." If everyone who lives on a street and everyone who is currently driving down that street consents to letting you speed on that street, for example, then that comparison would make a little more sense.

Yup just about same Sex marriage. Carry on

#13 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96547 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

Same sex marriage, drug legalization, gambling, motorcycle helmet laws, prostitution, take your pick....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users