#1 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Title pretty much says it all. Have two gallons of honey (1 gal. Tupelo/1 gal. Sourwood) looking for something to do. Thinking about using 1.5 gals. for a mead of some kind, maybe coming in on the medium to medium-dry side.

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

If we want to do one with everyone using the same honey, I can get orange blossom or clover no problem. As an aside, I did a stawberry mel a while back. I can check the recipe when I get home if that's of interest.

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

I've got Orange Blossom 1.5 gal and Star Thistle about 1.25 gal.Maybe think about Kurt Stock's Strawberry/Banana Cabana. We should get strawberries sometime in April with this warm winter.

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

I could be down. I've got 1 gallon of Raspberry and 1 gallon of mesquite in stock right now that aren't destined for anything in particular. Easy enough to get some other varietals if needed.

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Depending on the recipe, I could be down as well. I have got the space.

#6 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Never used Mesquite. Any good source appreciated.

#7 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

strangebrewer and I bulk buy from the Colorado Honey Company. I think he sources it from Texas or Arizona. When I lived in AZ, I would buy mesquite honey at the farmer's markets all the time, for eating.You can use the Honey Locator to source this sort of thing: https://www.honeyloc...ource/Mesquite/

Guest is my honeybear :wub:

#8 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'd consider it.

#9 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

strangebrewer and I bulk buy from the Colorado Honey Company. I think he sources it from Texas or Arizona. When I lived in AZ, I would buy mesquite honey at the farmer's markets all the time, for eating.You can use the Honey Locator to source this sort of thing: https://www.honeyloc...ource/Mesquite/

Unfortunately, of those cited, volumes are too large (55 gal.), too small or the website is NFG. Looks like I will not be using mesquite.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Unfortunately, of those cited, volumes are too large (55 gal.), too small or the website is NFG. Looks like I will not be using mesquite.

Dude you live in the land of Tupelo and Orange Blossom honey. Go watch Ulee's Gold and consider yourself lucky. :)

#11 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Dude you live in the land of Tupelo and Orange Blossom honey. Go watch Ulee's Gold and consider yourself lucky. :)

Trust me, I own the DVD and I appreciate where I am. Wanted to try something different. That plus I think Tupelo and Sourwood might be tough for those of you out west to score.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

Trust me, I own the DVD and I appreciate where I am. Wanted to try something different. That plus I think Tupelo and Sourwood might be tough for those of you out west to score.

I used to do group buys for Tupelo. I still have about half a 5-gallon bucket left. Sourwood is a different story although the guy down in Lakeland did say he'd ship it to me if I wanted. Colorado is beer nirvana but it's not the place to get good honey.

#13 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

trader joes has mesquite in 3 lb containers out here. I've been impressed by it.

#14 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

trader joes has mesquite in 3 lb containers out here. I've been impressed by it.

What is this Trader Joes you speak of? Seriously, the closest one to me is Atlanta and I don't see making a ten-hour round trip. Chances are their honey is regionally sourced, but thanks for the thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users