#1 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28151 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Whenever I make soups, it's a lot so the wife and I can eat off it several days. So, this is about 3-3.5 quarts of soup.2 onions finely diced4 large celery staulks, split once the long way and diced6 medium potatos peeled and diced5 cloves of garlic1 tsp fresh dill (I usually add a little extra)1/2 stick of butter1 quart chicken stock1 quart of 2% milk1/2 tsp salt - more to taste10 turns on pepper grinder- more to taste1 cup shreaded cheese (I use 3 cheese italian belnd)8-12oz+ of salmon, adding 1/2 of that smoked salmon make it teh_awesome.potato starch for thickening.Put the butter, onions, garlic, and celery in the pot and saute, right to the point where they are just starting to carmelize. Add in the chicken stock, potatos, dill, salt, pepper. Simmer for 15min or until the potatos are cooked but firm. Turn heat off and add in some of the thickener**. It will be pretty darn thick at this point, like when you stir it, you see a canyon created and see the bottom of the pot. About like pudding. Add in the milk and it will thin back out some. Turn the heat on low and constantly stir and add in the cheese and salmon. Continue heating and stirring until all the cheese is melted. Check the salt/pepper level and serve.I should note the salmon needs to be pre-cooked. I make this soup when there are leftovers from grilled or broiled salmon.**I strictly use potato starch for chowders when thickening rather than cornstarch or flour. If you've never used it, it can be tricky to incorporate it with water. You can't add the starch to water, you need to add water to the dry starch. Otherwise it will be one big 'noodle' in the cup. Get the starch in a coffee cup and turn the faucet on low. Keep swiping it under the water and stirring until it all goes into suspension.MB

Edited by Mainelybrew, 17 January 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Potato starch does make for a very silky texture. I really like that stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users