#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

[*]I can eat this like candy. Chicken liver can be a substitute. Or liver can be omitted completely. [*]This is a pr0k recipe but gator, shrimp, fish or any other type of protein of choice can be supplemented. [*]2 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes[*]1 pound pork liver, rinsed in cool water[*]2 quarts water[*]1 cup chopped onions[*]1/2 teaspoon minced garlic[*]1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers[*]1/2 cup chopped celery[*]4 1/4 teaspoons salt[*]2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne[*]1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper[*]1 cup finely chopped parsley[*]1 cup chopped green onions tops, (green part only)[*]6 cups cooked medium-grain rice[*]1 1/2-inch diameter, casings, about 4 feet in length[/list]In a large sauce pan, combine the pork butt, pork liver, water, onions, garlic, bell peppers, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1 1/12 hours, or until the pork and liver are tender. Remove from the heat and drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the broth. Using a meat grinder with a 1/4-inch die, grind the pork mixture. 1/2 cup of the parsley, and 1/2 cup of the green onions, together. Turn the mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the rice, remaining salt, cayenne, black pepper, parsley, and green onions. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix thoroughly. Either using a feeding tube or a funnel, stuff the sausage into thecasings and make 3-inch links. Bring 1 gallon of salted water up to a boil. Poach the sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is firm to the touch and plump. Remove from the water and allow to cool

#2 texred1

texred1

Permanent Comptroller & Pyromaniac

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3679 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Very impressed with the finished product.Here are some pics of me trying this:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image~dustin

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Did you add liver? if so what kind? I think next time I will not use it myself. I dont like the smell of it for one.

#4 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8209 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

Those look like a tub of chicken livers. Liver or no, boudin without blood just isn't boudin.

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Those look like a tub of chicken livers. Liver or no, boudin without blood just isn't boudin.

This recipe is for boudin blanc, although it doesn't specifically say so, it is inferred by the lack of blood. The boudin you are thinking of is boudin noir.

Instead of water and livers in the recipe, could you just use blood?

I would hesitate to do this before comparing it to some recipes for boudin noir just so that you get your consistency right, but it may work.

#6 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8209 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

My comment was inferring that real boudin should have blood, everything else is just sausage.

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

This isn't the forum for "real chili has no beans" and "real boudin has blood", but I will leave this link and just end it therehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoudinI know, wikipedia, but you can do your own search if you want

#8 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8209 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

This isn't the forum for "real chili has no beans" and "real boudin has blood", but I will leave this link and just end it therehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoudinI know, wikipedia, but you can do your own search if you want

Funny there aren't any recipes for chili in this forum that have beans ;)

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

So true. They could be if they were submitted. The point being, we can argue about that in the PH :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users