Photo

It should be legal to drive with any BAC.

water yeast malt hops drinking

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#261 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29504 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Good grief, y'all are getting wordy up in here. Can't we all just agree that drunk drivin is bad, McKay?

#262 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14715 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

I sometimes think the .08 limit was brought down to increase revenue, which I really hate, the original MADD numbers IIRC was .10 which is more realistichowever I still posit that anyone who thinks they are fine and dandy @ .08 should try a timed reaction test

I agree, the 0.10 number seems better supported by the data.Clearly, people are impaired at 0.08, at least on a population basis. The RR of being involved in an accident is 6-7x greater, according to this data (interestingly, the graphed data show deaths by single vehicle accident, but instead show occurrence rather than deaths for the any accident graph). But people are impaired by all sorts of other driving factors, mostly preventable as well. Truth told, it's a lugubrious task to examine the statistics on this. One wants to say that no deaths are acceptable, but they will happen in any event, and we have to look at what is most reasonable, as well as most effective.

#263 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

and there is no way in hell anyone is unimpaired @.09 despite what they percieve

Again, you really can't apply the standards of your frail constitution to everyone else.

#264 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

In my opinion, it should go like this:1. Cop sees you weaving or doing something else erratic or not strictly legal, pulls you over.2. Cop then determines you're drunk and arrests you.Step 1 is paramount in my opinion. Probable cause.

a few days ago, i was walking the dogs and a car drove by. the smell of pot smoke was so strong that a full half block down from where they passed me, i could smell it.if i was a cop, would that probable cause?

#265 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

If you were a cop, it would be probable cause for me to move to Canadia. :P

#266 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

If you were a cop, it would be probable cause for me to move to Canadia. :P

is that all it's gonna take?*furiously applies to cop school*

#267 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

is that all it's gonna take?*furiously applies to cop school*

Just fair warning, though. If you put me in charge of Canada, I'll invade, and I'll win.

#268 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Just fair warning, though. If you put me in charge of Canada, I'll invade, and I'll win.

meh. we've got dis on our side. i'm pretty sure he can take you.

#269 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

meh. we've got dis on our side. i'm pretty sure he can take you.

Yes, if it comes down to a game of Trivial Pursuit Sports Edition, I have little doubt.... but don't forget that you have Basser too. :)

#270 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

then we're ####ed. all hail king yukon.

#271 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

then we're ####ed. all hail king yukon.

Damn skippy. But deep down, I think we all knew that Basser would lead to the end of America, right?

#272 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94472 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

a few days ago, i was walking the dogs and a car drove by. the smell of pot smoke was so strong that a full half block down from where they passed me, i could smell it.if i was a cop, would that probable cause?

I'd say probably so.

#273 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11231 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Wow, you guys have been busy.It's clear that this is not a topic that can be rationally discussed without people getting emotional. Oh well.

In other words, if someone disagrees with you they can't be rational and must be emotional. Got it.

The breathalyzer is also not a device that measures alcohol in your blood. It measures trace amounts in your breath and extrapolates that to a BAC number. It's not reliable either. Any amount of food or drink (booze or not) in your mouth can screw it up. Eat a cracker and sip some fruit juice then take a test.

I saw that Mythbusters episode - where they did just that and showed that the breathalyzer was still accurate. Maybe you'd like to present some evidence that shows otherwise besides your say-so?

#274 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

In other words, if someone disagrees with you they can't be rational and must be emotional. Got it.

So you didn't read the thread then? That's fine, it wasn't really worth it, but you shouldnt make dumb comments like this unless you have. Just sayin.

I saw that Mythbusters episode - where they did just that and showed that the breathalyzer was still accurate. Maybe you'd like to present some evidence that shows otherwise besides your say-so?

I did not see that episode. I've only experimented with consumer level breathalyzers. I can't imagine the sensors would be that different.

#275 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24770 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

So you didn't read the thread then? That's fine, it wasn't really worth it, but you shouldnt make dumb comments like this unless you have. Just sayin.

having read the full thread, i agree with his comment.

I did not see that episode. I've only experimented with consumer level breathalyzers. I can't imagine the sensors would be that different.

did you take a blood sample to test to compare the results to the consumer level breathalyzer? how'd you kow the breathalyzer was off?

#276 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73137 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

did you take a blood sample to test to compare the results to the consumer level breathalyzer? how'd you kow the breathalyzer was off?

d'oh

#277 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24770 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

d'oh

:coffee:

#278 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

having read the full thread, i agree with his comment.

That's cool, you got cral0s on ignore. Maybe I should follow suit.

Because I can score well above 0 without having a drink in over 24 hours.

#279 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11231 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

I read the whole thread, and while Cryl0s was all ZOMG the children, others had logical arguments. As a whole it wasn't overly emotional, even Mic was pretty levelheaded and he has the most right to be emotional about this.

Season 1, ep 6. Netflix has it, if you have that. After all, very expensive professional level equipment may be more accurate than consumer level ones you get for $20.

#280 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24770 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

That's cool, you got cral0s on ignore. Maybe I should follow suit.

Wow, you guys have been busy.It's clear that this is not a topic that can be rationally discussed without people getting emotional. Oh well.

i guess i misunderstood. your seemingly broad brushed comment must have only been directed at a couple of comments from los. gotcha.

Because I can score well above 0 without having a drink in over 24 hours.

dang drunky.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water, yeast, malt, hops, drinking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users