#1 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Inner Beauty Real Hot Sauce Knock-offAdapted from the recipe here in this thread (good read)
    [*]15 Habanero or Scotch Bonnet chiles[*]2 red ripe Jalapeno chiles[*]1 small white onion[*]4 cloves garlic[*]1 ripe mango[*]1 c yellow mustard[*]1/2 c brown sugar[*]3/4 c cider vinegar[*]1/4 c orange/papaya/pineapple juice[*]1 T curry powder[*]1 T toasted ground cumin[*]1 tsp cinnamon[*]1 tsp allspice[*]1 T Indian chili powder (Deggi Mirch)[*]3 T salt (or to taste)(I used 1T, 3 seemed like too much)[*]1 T black pepper[*]1/4 c molasses[/list]Seed and de-vein the chiles with gloves on, and cut them into small chunks. Peel the mango and slice it into chunks -- size and shape don't matter, since you'll be blending it. Thinly slice the onion. Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Add all of the ingredients to a sauce pan.Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat, turn it down to low, and simmer it for an hour or two, stirring now and then. Add water as needed to keep it from scorching. The sauce is done cooking when the mango and chile flesh easily disintegrate under light pressure from your spoon or spatula.Cool, puree in a blender until the sauce is smooth.You can easily make it hotter by leaving the seeds and veins intact on some or all the chiles.

#2 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

I made this recipe a month or so ago. The flavor is absolutely fantastic. My home-grown habs had a way more intense hab flavor than any store-bought hab I've ever tasted. My only problem is that it ended up an unappealing dark brown color. I think it was the chipotle chili powder I used as a substitute for Deggi Mirch (it's a darker red) and the dark molasses. Next time I make this (and there will definitely be a next time), I'm going to shoot for a more yellow color. I think I'll just omit the chili powder and use a light molasses instead of dark. I may also add some turmeric to brighten up the color.

#3 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

After mulling this over for a bit, I've realized that my comments on color are pretty dumb. The "Inner Beauty" thread clearly shows that the color of the original "Inner Beauty" sauce is ####-brown, just like mine turned-out. I quess that's why they call it "Inner Beauty." If I make a pretty yellow version, I'll call it "Hot Blonde."

#4 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Just made this yesterday and it's very good. I might cut back a little on the curry the next time I make it.

Also, might want to use a mask along with the gloves when preparing the habaneros. Those peppers pack a punch.

#5 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

I have lots of habs, so I made 2 batches of this last weekend. I followed this recipe for the 1st batch, using ripened habs and ripened jalapenos. The color came out much better this year because I didn't use any unripe (green) peppers. It has a nice reddish tint to it this time.

The 2nd batch was to use up some unripe habs and japs. I pretty much followed this recipe but used granny smith apple instead of mango, lime juice instead of orange and left out the chipotle, cinnamon and allspice. I was hoping to get a nice lime-green color but ended up with the color and consistency of pea-soup. It still tastes good but, to be honest, it's just an inferior version of the original recipe.

I still have green habs, so I'm going to try the green version again, unless the habs all ripen before the weekend. Next time, I'll substitute 1/3 cup white vinegar + 2/3 cup water for the 1 cup of prepared mustard and leave out the curry and cumin as well as the cinnamon and allspice. I think this will make it a little more transparent with a prettier green color. Oh yeah, I also sub white pepper for black pepper. I may add 1T of dry mustard too. This one's more about the peppers than the spices, I guess.

#6 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33905 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

*furiously takes notes...*

#7 Uranus Megahertz

Uranus Megahertz

Comptroller of Hair

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6389 posts
  • LocationThe other side of the river

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

My standard base recipe has always been:

1 pound solids (peppers/mangoes/tomates/carrots/whatever)

2 cups white vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

Simmer til soft.  Blend.  Re-simmer and adjust flavors and seasonings as preferred.  Re-blend.  Strain through fine mesh colander and save solids for pepper relish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users