- - - - -

Maryland Stuffed Ham

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

1 Large corned ham (20lbs or more)1 Bushel Fresh Kale1/4 Bushel Fresh Mustard greens2 large cabbages (sliced into thin pieces)4 large onions sliced or chopped thin1 small container of McCormick mustard seedsHandful of hot pepper flakes or to tasteSeasoning (lots of fatback)Salt to tasteStrip and clean the greens, washing them 3-4 timesPlace all the greens and seasoning in a very large pot and cook until all the greens are tender. About 5 hours.Preparing the greens and the ham in one day can be a bit labor intensive, so you can freeze the greens and thaw them out later. Drain as much of the juice off as possible before freezing.Trim as much fat as possible off of the ham. Cut slits 2-3 inches long, down to the bone, all over the ham (top and bottom). Try not to get them close together. Squeeze as much juice out of the slits as possible and then stuff them with the greens.Place the ham into a huge pan and cook until 170.

#2 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

The recipe is more or less the same as what I do. The various seasonings will always be adjusted to personal preference. Procedurally I do it a bit differently1. I boil the ham and the greens at the same time and rest it overnight in the broth.2. Use the leftover greens to crust the ham, just pile it up all over and under the ham3. You'll want to wrap the whole thing up if you boil it so you don't lose any greens. Use a clean t-shirt or cheesecloth. I like a t-shirt4. If you cut half-moons as opposed to slits you can fit more greens in the ham. The spiced greens are what make the dish. The more the better. To save some labor you can use the big bags of pre-chopped kale. Just sift through it for big stem chunks, stem bigger than say one of those fat pencils a kindergartener uses. I use mustard greens or watercress, I'm not convinced it makes a difference in the finished product. It's such a small amount of veg that I don't think it shines through. I do it anyways because that's what the recipe calls for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users