#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

I have a cider that I racked after 3-4 weeks in primary to secondary. I'm already seeing a lot of stuff settling out. It's only been a month in secondary though and I was planning on waiting for 3 months until I moved it to tertiary. should I stay the course or do I need to rack off the secondary lees?

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

FWIW it's my understanding that lees in secondary are less detrimental to flavor. On a homebrew scale and pressures you have up to 6 mo before autolosis comes into play. I typically rack to secondary after 2 mo and then 6 mo later I rack to keg.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

FWIW it's my understanding that lees in secondary are less detrimental to flavor. On a homebrew scale and pressures you have up to 6 mo before autolosis comes into play. I typically rack to secondary after 2 mo and then 6 mo later I rack to keg.

sounds like staying the course should be fine then. I just don't want to rack too soon but then again maybe getting it out of the better bottle and into the glass carboy wouldn't be a bad thing :scratch:

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:07 AM

another interesting thing I'm noticing in secondary - it seems like the top half of cider is more of a pale yellowish color while the bottom half is much more amber/orange colored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users