#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:22 AM

I've had a IPA that's been dry-hopping since last Tuesday. I just haven't had time to bottle in the last few days but plan on it tonight. Everything I've read says 3-5 days is about right so will there be any negative effects from it sitting for over a week? I've been using whole hops if that makes any difference...Thanks!

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

In secondary, I go at least a week and usually 2. In the keg, I go until the keg is gone....usually a couple months.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

Until the keg runs dry!

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

A week to ten days gives me good hop flavor and aroma without having to worry about hop-derived astringency or an excessive vegetal flavor.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

When I dry hop in secondary if I am using just one hop variety I will go 7-10 days. If I use multiple varieties I will go 3-5 for each but I will sometimes just leave them in as well. Never dry hopped in the keg but my next Pale/IPA I will though. I have some paint strainer bags for them as well. I think you will be fine though too. The question is are you happy with the dry hopping effect? If so bottle it up too.

#6 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

+1 on 7-10 days in secondary!

#7 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

+1 on 7-10 days in secondary!

+2 7-10 per variety.

#8 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

+2 7-10 per variety.

I dry-hopped with one ounce of Cascade and Amarillo whole leaf...so I should dry hop for 14-20 days (based on your reccomendation of 7-10 days per variety)?

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

Anyone just transfer from keg to keg through a bed of fresh hops? An upstream Randal, so to speak.

#10 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Usually just a week or so.

#11 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

I dry-hopped with one ounce of Cascade and Amarillo whole leaf...so I should dry hop for 14-20 days (based on your reccomendation of 7-10 days per variety)?

Per variety they mean per addition. You can go 2 oz cascade 7 days, yank it and drop 2 oz of centennial 7 days, yank it and drop 2 oz summit (my fav) 7 days for 21 days total- 3 varieties.Or drop an oz of all 3 for 7 days, yank, and drop an oz of all 3 again for an additional 7 days.

Edited by Thirsty, 25 June 2009 - 12:14 PM.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

Anyone just transfer from keg to keg through a bed of fresh hops? An upstream Randal, so to speak.

Seems less efficient than simply adding them to the keg.

#13 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

It's not about efficiency, it's about excuses to score new tools and contraptions. Haven't you learned anything?

#14 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

Like others, I just let it sit in the keg till it's done. I use pellets, so I have to use a nylon mesh bag. If you use whole leaf, you can use a sure screen to filter out the hops. The hops sometime stay in the keg for a couple years even, and the beer to me is fine.

#15 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

When you guys dry hop in the keg, what type of hops do you use (i.e. pellet or whole leaf) and do you put the hops in a weighted bag?

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

It's not about efficiency, it's about excuses to score new tools and contraptions. Haven't you learned anything?

Yes, I've learned that hops are expensive and so I try to get everything I can from them.

When you guys dry hop in the keg, what type of hops do you use (i.e. pellet or whole leaf) and do you put the hops in a weighted bag?

I use whole hops with a Sure Screen.

#17 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

How long I dry hop depends on the beer, how much hops I've added, temp the beer is sitting at, etc.Usually about 5-7 days, but I always let taste be my guide.I tend to go lighter on dry hops than a lot of people, and use more late boil hops instead. Personal preference.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

I don't know, is it? Could be more efficient for all I know. You're sure increasing the amount of contact the beer has with the hops, especially if you use pellets.

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

I don't know, is it? Could be more efficient for all I know. You're sure increasing the amount of contact the beer has with the hops, especially if you use pellets.

First of all, I'd never use pellets to dry hop if I could help it. Second, you're decreasing contact time, not increasing it.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

First of all, I'd never use pellets to dry hop if I could help it. Second, you're decreasing contact time, not increasing it.

Yes, but you're drastically increasing contact area, i.e. more beer is coming in contact with the hops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users