#1 2ndstage

2ndstage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

Went to the local scratch and dent food store to see if I could score a few boxes of apples to try to juice with my Lalanne juicer. Couldn't find a deal on any but as I was walking out I found a few pallets of this cider that I usually buy for making cider. This stuff is usally 8-9 bucks a gallon and I got it for 1.99/gal. My wife loves some cider so I loaded up about 30 gallons worth and headed home. https://imgur.com/MjlRh Bout to run out of fermenters here but luckily i found a carboy cap to fit over an old sankey. Should be good here in a few months. This will definately help with keeping plenty in reserve for aging.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

$9 a gallon for cider!!!! Holy holiest of holies! I guess we pay a lot in taxes but it gets made up for in cider prices here in Upstate NY. Expensive cider is $5 a gal. If you go to the mill it is usually $3 or $4. If you bring your carboy, most places only charge a buck or two. Shit, I just got about 18 gallons for free...

#3 2ndstage

2ndstage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

Not any apples around here, they are quite expensive. Damn honeycrisps are 3.50/lb. Everything is perking along nicely. 10 Gal with French Saison yeast is clear as a bell and smelling great. The apfelwein with D47 is still pretty active. The apfelwein with Cotes De Blanc yeast has a bad case of rhino farts. Bout knocked me down when I went out to the shop. But its starting to taper off. The 10gal in the sankey is with US05. Going to be great next year when its all ready. Need to buy some more kegs though. Aging all these is going to take up a lot of slots in the kegerator.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

The saison one is going to be money. I have done a couple like that in the past. YUM!

#5 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:19 AM

The saison one is going to be money. I have done a couple like that in the past. YUM!

I'm going to have to try that this year.

#6 2ndstage

2ndstage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

I stole a sample from it last night. Its crazy. Clear and smooth with just a bit of that saison funkiness after only 10 days. Its down to 1.008 so i'm cold crashing it to see if I can keep it up there. I've never been able to stop a cider from going completely dry yet.

#7 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:38 AM

Why not stabilize like you would a mead or wine?

#8 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

Huh. Saison yeast. Who woulda though. That does sound good. I was going to make some cider this fall and was going to use 001 or the like, but I might have to do a little experimenting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users