#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26154 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

I know most will say you get the most bang for the buck if you add fruit in secondary since the CO2 in primary scrubs out the more delicate aromas and flavors. When I've added fruit in primary in the past I've noticed that the fruit flavor/aroma that does remain is still there but it provides more of a muted role and the honey used really shines through. Considering this, are there any benefits to double fruiting a Mel, or will the subtle notes from the primary addition be covered up and lost by a small secondary addition?I'm sure this depends a bit on what fruits are used to a certain extent, but I'm curious about others general thoughts on this.I'm thinking about doing a Mel with dried apricots in primary and fresh/frozen peaches in secondary and can't decide if the 2 fruit additions will made a difference in the end product.

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

Current wisdom has the fruit being added in primary to add additional fermentables and nutrients to the must. In addition, you may want to add pectic enzyme prior to fermentation, so add the peaches to primary.

#3 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26154 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

Where does this current wisdom come from?

#4 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

The recent NHC Mead forum had some discussion on fruit additions. Where it was thought that the addition in primary scrubbed out the fruit profile, it seems that is minimal. Having the fruit in primary also allows fermentation of the sugars in the fruit adding a complexity to the mead.

#5 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

It seems like the "conventional wisdom" on this issue vacilates every 7-10 years. For a long time it was fruit in the primary, then it switched to fruit in secondary. Apparently it is tilting back to primary. Why you couldn't go with primary and secondary I don't know. That said, the only fruit I use in primary is strawberries. Cherries, blueberries, blackberries, I add in primary and secondary. Peaches and raspberriesI use only in secondary. That is based solely on personal experience, not some painstakingly complex analysis, and if I find something works better some other way, I'd give it a try.

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26154 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

I've had exceedingly vigourous fermentations before, that certainly scrub aromas. With a well balanced SNA schedule, there are no issues with stuck or unhealthy fermentations. Fruit additions still ferment in secondary.

My experience as well, but dried fruits don't do as well in secondary for me

#7 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

I might be giving away some of my secrets here, but...I've put fruit in the primary and the secondary, neither really impressed me with a difference.BUT, just before bottling a small amount of a good extract works wonders for the aroma.

#8 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26154 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

I might be giving away some of my secrets here, but...I've put fruit in the primary and the secondary, neither really impressed me with a difference.BUT, just before bottling a small amount of a good extract works wonders for the aroma.

What brand do you use?

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

I used some from Spices, etc.Don't know their brand, sorry.click me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users