#1 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:40 AM

https://cgi.ebay.com...em=280358933259It's in decent shape, just one of the handles tweaked a bit, and I'll include a new set of o-rings.

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

https://cgi.ebay.com...em=280358933259It's in decent shape, just one of the handles tweaked a bit, and I'll include a new set of o-rings.

Linky no worky. :sarcasm:And a 10 gallon corny? Don't think I've heard of these before.

#3 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:58 AM

Linky no worky. :sarcasm:And a 10 gallon corny? Don't think I've heard of these before.

Go to ebay and use the item number 280358933259 or try this link https://cgi.ebay.com...em=28035893325910 gallon corny kegs were manufactured and used by industry other than soda dispensing, and were made in much more limited numbers than the 5 gallon cornies we always see. They also make 15 gallon units. To see those in action visit my website.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

I always wanted to go to 10 gal. cornies, but they're just so darn expensive (not to mention, hard to find).

Edited by JKoravos, 16 June 2009 - 10:28 AM.

#5 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

I ferment exclusively in cornies of all sizes, and they just can't be beat for the price, especially compared to other stainless vessels. Although they are expensive, they are a superior solution to carboys and other containers for many reasons including the ability to have a totally closed system, no light exposure of the beer, shatterproof and durable, and able to be cleaned in a variety of ways. Not to mention the built-in plumbing makes a blowoff tube a snap-on option with no silly little airlocks required :sarcasm:

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:35 AM

I wouldn't say you can't beat the price, at least when it comes to a 10 gal. corny. You can get a refurbed 1/2 bbl Sanke for cheaper, usually. 5 gallon cornies are definitely a bargain.

#7 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

I wouldn't say you can't beat the price, at least when it comes to a 10 gal. corny. You can get a refurbed 1/2 bbl Sanke for cheaper, usually. 5 gallon cornies are definitely a bargain.

Sanke kegs may be cheaper, but they don't come with all the plumbing for a closed system process and CO2 pressure transfers, and buying the adapters for racking and such, along with the price of the keg, can be more expensive than the big cornies. Apples to apples for what you get, the big cornies are still a better deal.You also can't really get inside them to clean/sanitize easily, and they are extremely heavy. People that use them will soak with PBW, but that is a lot of PBW, and you are still gambling that you get it clean as you can do a visual inspection to make sure. Those corny lids and big openings are nice, especially when you want to dry hop or perform other processes in the keg.In my case, I can fit two corny keg fermenters in the space that only fits a single sanke.I've used both, and chose to stay with the cornies.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

Sanke kegs may be cheaper, but they don't come with all the plumbing for a closed system process and CO2 pressure transfers, and buying the adapters for racking and such, along with the price of the keg, can be more expensive than the big cornies. Apples to apples for what you get, the big cornies are still a better deal.You also can't really get inside them to clean/sanitize easily, and they are extremely heavy. People that use them will soak with PBW, but that is a lot of PBW, and you are still gambling that you get it clean as you can do a visual inspection to make sure. Those corny lids and big openings are nice, especially when you want to dry hop or perform other processes in the keg.In my case, I can fit two corny keg fermenters in the space that only fits a single sanke.I've used both, and chose to stay with the cornies.

Yes, you need more equipment and infrastructure to use sankes, but I'd bet it's still comparable to trying to outfit your whole brewery with 10 gal cornies. Although, cornies are definitely more flexible when it comes to size options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users