#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

I add my grains to my Heated Mash water, i have seen others on the internet add water to grains .What do you do?

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Water to grains, as Palmer recommends.

#3 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

I add the grains to the heated water as well.

#4 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

I add water to grains, mostly because I mill my grains directly into my mashtun.Mashman

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

Grains to water b/c I use my strike water to preheat my mash tun.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

I'm not sure what difference it makes, but I usually at my grains to the water. But I might switch if that is what palmer recommends as there is a reason for everything that he does.

#7 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

blend: i have the unique opportunity to have enough head space for a grain hopper. wo with the crushed grains in the hopper - i crack open the hopper valve, crack open the strike water - and blend the both and stir to my heart's content.

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

I like to add about 1/2 the water to the empty tun and then start mixing in grains and keep the mash real loose. I stir hard to break up all dough balls. Then add more water and then the rest of the grains. Stir again breaking up all dough balls and then top up with whatever water is left for my strike amount.I would think adding water on top of all the grain would make it harder to break up all the dough balls.

#9 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

I add grains to water. I think I get more accurate control of the strike temp this way with my single infusions. I generally aim for a few degrees above my required strike temperature, then take a reading in the cooler before adding the grains. I'll stir a bit and keep taking the temperature until it's come down to exactly where I want it. I find it's much easier for me to overshoot a bit on the strike water and wait a couple minutes for it to lose a few degrees before adding grain in order to hit my strike temps rather than to try to make it up with boiling water if I come up short.Aside from that benefit, I think it's just much easier adding the grains to the water than the other way around. I can mash in in less time, more effectively and more consistently that way.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

I preheat my mash tun drain that then add my strike water when up to temp and add in my grains and stir then let it sit for 5 mins check temp and let it mash away. I think if there was a huge difference there would be a noticable difference in each of our abilities to brew a beer. Sure I am sure Palmer has a valid reason but I bet it is so in depth it might not matter. Mash on

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

I do both.

#12 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

I do both.

Switch hitter... :nono:

#13 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

I preheat my tun with some water, spill that back into my sparge water pot. Then I add half my grains to which I add enough water to break up any dough balls that form, then I add the other half of my grain and the rest of my strike water. I notice that my temps are more even right away with this method.

#14 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:48 PM

I preheat my mash tun with about 2/3 volume of the water I'll need for my mash. Then I add my grains. And finish with the rest of the water to get my mash consistency correct.

#15 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

I add water to grains, mostly because I mill my grains directly into my mashtun.

+1

#16 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

I add water to grains, also per Palmer's book. He says to add the water to the grains a little at a time, stirring in between additions, to keep from "shocking" the enzymes. I guess I bought into the idea of "shocking" enzymes, even though I'm unclear what that means. Anyway, that method works great for me. I never have any problems with dough balls or hot or cold spots doing this way. I stopped worrying about preheating my mash tun. I account for the heat the tun will absorb in the calculation for my strike water temperature. After stirring it in for few minutes, and then closing the lid, I have a stable and consistent mash temperature all through the duration of the mash.

Edited by stellarbrew, 12 June 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#17 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

Grains to water.I find that you get more doughballs if you go water to grain.BrewBasser

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54138 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

I also go grains to water. I add about ½ the water, then some grains, stir, more water, the rest of the grains, stir. Seems to work well and very few if any doughballs. Good discussion.

#19 ash

ash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

grains to water here as well.

#20 marzipan

marzipan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

Doughballs? Is that a real thing or is somebody just making up funny words? :nono: Anyway, one person stirs continuously while the other alternates adding a scoop of water with a saucepan and then pouring a pound or two of grain at a time. I guess that avoids these "doughballs".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users