#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

So, I have been asked to make a batch of a Corona clone to bring to a party on July 25th. So I need a little help if ya'll don't mind. 1) Anybody have a good clone recipe for this stuff, and 2) need to time this right so it is ready to drink on that day at the most optimal time as this is going to be the first time my brew is going to be the 'life of the party' so to speak. I'm thinking 5 gallons will be good, but might need to bring two kegs as it is going to be like a two day party.

#2 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14964 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

1. Brew IPA2. Drink IPA3. Piss in bottles4. Add eau de skunk5. Bottle and serve

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

I have couple of light lager recipes on my site, but not for Corona necessarily. One piece of luck for you is that White Labs Mexican Lager yeast (940) is now available until the end of April. I just got 2 vials from Morebeer and brewed with it today. For the beer, I would suggest pilsner or plain 2-row, some flaked corn and possibly some Vienna (I'm trying to improve upon the orignal) to about 5% and then use something like Hallertau, Hersbrucker, Tettnanger, Styrian Goldings, Tradition or even Mt. Hood for 60 minutes (maybe 4½ to 5 AAU) for 60 minutes and that's it... no more hops. If you don't want to use the WLP940, WLP830 would also be good as well as Wyeast 2124. If you don't even want to bother with a lager, use WLP001 (California) and low temps... like 55°-60°. It will still ferment that low and give you a very clean beer. Just make sure it finishes. Good luck... tough assignment.

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25582 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

The short answer is you can't get there from here. Unless you are a very experienced homebrewer with excellent equipment and skills, Corona is too light to pull off. (some one will make a joke about putting your beer in the sunshine soon)As an alternative, I suggest you try a CAP (Classic American Pilsner). A popular recipe is called "Your Father's Mustache" If you can lager, it seems to be a very popular recipe.Outside of a CAP, anything that you want to brew that is light and low in IBU. Use a yeast that works in the temp range you have available. California Common, Chico yeast, Kolshe, Alt or Cry Havoc yeast come to mind.That is really your best choice, do the best you can with the resources available. Ferment temps will be the most dificult to pull off.zymot

#5 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

(some one will make a joke about putting your beer in the sunshine soon)zymot

Make sure to put the bottles in the sunshine for awhile. :) Seriously, I think Zymot's right. This will be a tough one to reproduce.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

I was thinking for a contingency plan that maybe a nice crisp hefe would pass.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

I've done a Kolsch for that type of crowd a few times - drained keg.I think a blond, cream ale, Am Wheat would work well too. I wouldn't knock myself out trying to clone something.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

If you haven't done a lot of lagers, it may be easier to just make it as an ale. There's no reason it couldn't be done... use the same grain bill & hop schedule, use US-05, WLP001 or 1056 and ferment low. Maybe use some bottled water mixed with some amount of distilled for smoothness. Believe me, I make a lot of these beers and many of my friends, family and neighbors drink stuff like Coors Light, Michelob Ultra and Corona Light so I'm used to this. If you made a CAP for these people, the beer would shoot out their nose because of the assertive flavor of it. My Bud Light-drinking friend thought my Blonde Ale was too hoppy. Gimme a break!

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

............ My Bud Light-drinking friend thought my Blonde Ale was too hoppy. Gimme a break!

Must be a nice Blonde :)

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

My Bud Light-drinking friend thought my Blonde Ale was too hoppy. Gimme a break!

Well when your used to stale water :)

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

I would do something like this...8 lbs American 2-row1½ lbs flaked maize8 oz Vienna4½ to 5 AAU of Hallertau, Tettnanger, Tradition, Stryrian Goldings, Hersbrucker or Mt. HoodWhite Labs 940 Mexican Lager yeast or... if you want to make it as an ale, White Labs 01 California Ale yeast. If you make it as a lager, any mistake will stand out because there's nothing to hide behind. If you make it as an ale, get the temp of the wort down into the 50s and try to keep it there throughout primary. Make a good-sized starter with a fresh vial of White Labs 01 and oxygenate the wort well. If you're squeamish, make another beer with the White Labs 01 and then use the slurry to make the lighter beer... there will be more healthy yeast and it will stand up better in the cooler-than-normal temps.When you try to make a beer like this (light), you don't really expect to make the EXACT beer you have in mind. It helps to think that you're just trying to make a beer in the spirit of the commercial version. I suppose this applies to any style, really. Even if you had the exact Corona recipe for 5 gallons, it still wouldn't come out exactly right because of all the variables. Cheers.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

......When you try to make a beer like this (light), you don't really expect to make the EXACT beer you have in mind. It helps to think that you're just trying to make a beer in the spirit of the commercial version. I suppose this applies to any style, really. Even if you had the exact Corona recipe for 5 gallons, it still wouldn't come out exactly right because of all the variables. Cheers.

That is what I was getting at.......

#13 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

i really don't understand why one would be ashamed of wanting to clone a corona.drink what you like say even if i don't understand why you like joosei'm not real snobby about it.in fact in my experience it's much much harder to brew a light beer than it is to brew a heavy bear

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

So many people in homebrewing like to make hopped-up monsters so lighter beers get the fish-eye most of the time. Many homebrewers like to poke some fun at BMC products so it may seem embarassing to ask about a beer like this. I can understand that homebrewers want to get away from beers like this because they are EVERYWHERE and there are 30 or 40 different brands of the same damn style. I could walk out of my house right now and walk to 10 places that sell all of these light lagers. But I make homebrewed versions of these beers all the time and have them on tap over the summer almost constantly. A nice, gold, 5% beer with some nice noble hops (20-30 IBUs) and one of the great German or Czech yeasts... delicious.

#15 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14964 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

So many people in homebrewing like to make hopped-up monsters so lighter beers get the fish-eye most of the time. Many homebrewers like to poke some fun at BMC products so it may seem embarassing to ask about a beer like this.

No, never! :)

I can understand that homebrewers want to get away from beers like this because they are EVERYWHERE and there are 30 or 40 different brands of the same damn style. I could walk out of my house right now and walk to 10 places that sell all of these light lagers. But I make homebrewed versions of these beers all the time and have them on tap over the summer almost constantly. A nice, gold, 5% beer with some nice noble hops (20-30 IBUs) and one of the great German or Czech yeasts... delicious.

Yeah, that sounds good, and not what I think of when I think of Corona.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, that sounds good, and not what I think of when I think of Corona.

Agreed. Corona is a high-adjunct beer that has more marketing than anything else. It's a shame too considering it's now the #1 selling imported beer in the US. What does that say about our uninitiated beer drinkers? :)

#17 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47946 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

So many people in homebrewing like to make hopped-up monsters so lighter beers get the fish-eye most of the time. Many homebrewers like to poke some fun at BMC products so it may seem embarassing to ask about a beer like this. I can understand that homebrewers want to get away from beers like this because they are EVERYWHERE and there are 30 or 40 different brands of the same damn style. I could walk out of my house right now and walk to 10 places that sell all of these light lagers. But I make homebrewed versions of these beers all the time and have them on tap over the summer almost constantly. A nice, gold, 5% beer with some nice noble hops (20-30 IBUs) and one of the great German or Czech yeasts... delicious.

And most homebrewers who poke fun at these beer couldn't make one if their life depended on it. :)Also, it's not a joke about putting it in the sun. If you want it to taste like Corona...

#18 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25331 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

I think this is an opportunity to brew a properly bittered and hopped pilz like ken described, which has the flavors totally absent from Corona and its ilk. Perhaps I am overly optimistic, but I really think that your average american beer drinker would find such a beer quite enjoyable and accessible. I agree that brewing these sorts of beers is more challenging, but that's a separate issue. Unless its a wedding, and possibly even then, I would just take the "corona" idea as a frame of reference and go from there, show up with a great beer. Good luck!

#19 JMUBrew

JMUBrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

I would do something like this...8 lbs American 2-row1½ lbs flaked maize8 oz Vienna4½ to 5 AAU of Hallertau, Tettnanger, Tradition, Stryrian Goldings, Hersbrucker or Mt. HoodWhite Labs 940 Mexican Lager yeast or... if you want to make it as an ale, White Labs 01 California Ale yeast. If you make it as a lager, any mistake will stand out because there's nothing to hide behind. If you make it as an ale, get the temp of the wort down into the 50s and try to keep it there throughout primary. Make a good-sized starter with a fresh vial of White Labs 01 and oxygenate the wort well. If you're squeamish, make another beer with the White Labs 01 and then use the slurry to make the lighter beer... there will be more healthy yeast and it will stand up better in the cooler-than-normal temps.When you try to make a beer like this (light), you don't really expect to make the EXACT beer you have in mind. It helps to think that you're just trying to make a beer in the spirit of the commercial version. I suppose this applies to any style, really. Even if you had the exact Corona recipe for 5 gallons, it still wouldn't come out exactly right because of all the variables. Cheers.

Recommendation on mash temp? ~150 or so?

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

Yes, 150° for crisper & drier... closer to 152° for maltier & better body. 151° would probably be a good compromise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users