#1 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

I've got the basic Hanna HI 190M stir plate, but I'm looking for something more powerful to do my larger starters. The Hanna says it's good up to 1 L, I've definitely gone past that and its good enough for 1.5 L, but I need something for my 3.5+ L starters. I'm looking around and ones that are more powerful (over 2 L) seem to get a bit pricey, like 5x the cost. I guess that seems sort of logical. 5 L stir plate costs 5x a 1 L stir plate. Does anyone has any recommendations on brands, models, places to buy, etc.?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

I've got the basic Hanna HI 190M stir plate, but I'm looking for something more powerful to do my larger starters. The Hanna says it's good up to 1 L, I've definitely gone past that and its good enough for 1.5 L, but I need something for my 3.5+ L starters. I'm looking around and ones that are more powerful (over 2 L) seem to get a bit pricey, like 5x the cost. I guess that seems sort of logical. 5 L stir plate costs 5x a 1 L stir plate. Does anyone has any recommendations on brands, models, places to buy, etc.?

Will your stir plate not make any whirlpool in this larger amounts? I got one off ebay that I can't crank up too much without spinning the bar off - the whirlpool in a 4L starter is modest but it's there.

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

Will your stir plate not make any whirlpool in this larger amounts? I got one off ebay that I can't crank up too much without spinning the bar off - the whirlpool in a 4L starter is modest but it's there.

It will throw the larger stirbar I've got (I forget their actual sizes, would have to look them up). The smaller one was getting thrown too, but at a higher RPM (still not the max 1000 RPM, more like 700) so I was able to get some mixing going on. This was just for like a 3.25 L starter. It got the job done but was suboptimal and it won't really stand up to anything larger. I need a second stirplate anyways as having only one actually is bottlenecking me a little bit for my Summer brewing plans, so I want to get something that's not just your cheapo basic magnetic stirplate. My search was messed up before. I don't need to drop over $500 bones for this. I just found these two examples.Sticking with the Hanna brand, the Hanna HI 310N says it can handle up to 5 L.I'll look around for price optimization, but it's $233 here:https://www.sci-bay....;showprevnext=1Same deal, need to search for prices, but at $129 this place says this stir plate can handle up to 6 L.https://www.perfectb...products_id=104

#4 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

I bought an old Corning stir plate off ebay for about $50 shipped. I'll have to check on the model and specs when I get home. I've had 4500 ml starters on it in a 5000 ml flask and it can still pull a vortex to the bottom. It does generate a lot of heat though. BTW, I'm using a 1.5" stir bar.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

I bought an old Corning stir plate off ebay for about $50 shipped. I'll have to check on the model and specs when I get home. I've had 4500 ml starters on it in a 5000 ml flask and it can still pull a vortex to the bottom. It does generate a lot of heat though. BTW, I'm using a 1.5" stir bar.

Word, thanks. I just checked my spreadsheet and I have 1" and 2" stirbars.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

My muffin fan + HD magnet will handle a gallon easy. Just throwing that out there.

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

My muffin fan + HD magnet will handle a gallon easy. Just throwing that out there.

Yeah, I was contemplating building one, but I've got too much else going on right now to pick up another project.

Edited by chuck_d, 08 June 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

Yeah, I was contemplating building one, but I've got too much else going on right now to pick up another project.

Wallwort, fan, case, unneeded POT and a toggle switch. And of course a nice pretty LED. Took about 30 minutes. Mounted the magnet and fan with some of the super sticky glue that never really sets up. Worked great because I could move stuff to center everything.Not bagging on the guys that have made a nice circuitboard to handle it, but it's just not needed at my place. Maybe I got lucky........

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

Wallwort, fan, case, unneeded POT and a toggle switch. And of course a nice pretty LED. Took about 30 minutes. Mounted the magnet and fan with some of the super sticky glue that never really sets up. Worked great because I could move stuff to center everything.Not bagging on the guys that have made a nice circuitboard to handle it, but it's just not needed at my place. Maybe I got lucky........

So that's, 1) wallwort (whatever that is), 2) fan, 3) case, 4) switch, and all the wires whatever planning, etc, that i have to research, buy and do. Not gonna bother with it when I'm so far behind on my other projects.

#10 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Just checked and it's a Corning Stirrer PC-353. No idea what year it was built. 120 VAC; 25 Watts; 50/60 Hz. If I put the flask on the plate and crank it to full speed, it'll throw the bar right away. I have to start it spinning on low for a few secs and then turn it up. Oh, and it is actually a 2" stir bar I'm using.

#11 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

So that's, 1) wallwort (whatever that is), 2) fan, 3) case, 4) switch, and all the wires whatever planning, etc, that i have to research, buy and do. Not gonna bother with it when I'm so far behind on my other projects.

I didn't even put a case or a switch into mine. Just swapped out fans until I had the right speed .https://www.brews-br...?showtopic=1756

#12 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

I found a cheapie on ebay too around $35, use a 2" bar with center ridge and do my 5 liter starters without problems, also cannot start it full bore or it throws it, but once turning it stays

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

Chuck, it's easy if you have done any wiring at all, a little solder and a few wire nuts. Wallwort=AC to DC converter. Old cell phone charger - whatever. I never throw them away. 9V, 300 milliwatts=free

#14 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

Chuck, it's easy if you have done any wiring at all, a little solder and a few wire nuts. Wallwort=AC to DC converter. Old cell phone charger - whatever. I never throw them away. 9V, 300 milliwatts=free

I have, but it's been many years, I don't even have a soldering iron.

#15 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

I got mine of ebay and payed like 30 bucks. Its basically just a cigar case with a pc fan in it and has 2 rare earth magnets glue to it. it will easily stir a gallon +. Like DJ said my plug is an old IBM ac/dc converter I think is like 15 volts. Had I known it was that easy to make, I would not have bought one I 'll say that.

#16 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

Just checked and it's a Corning Stirrer PC-353. No idea what year it was built. 120 VAC; 25 Watts; 50/60 Hz. If I put the flask on the plate and crank it to full speed, it'll throw the bar right away. I have to start it spinning on low for a few secs and then turn it up. Oh, and it is actually a 2" stir bar I'm using.

Right on. I can actually find some of these used, but my apartment ambient is already pretty warm. You said this gets hot?

#17 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

Link here, Chuck This one is actually nicer that the one I have

#18 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

I have, but it's been many years, I don't even have a soldering iron.

Hell, I just electrical taped mine together and it handles 2L without skipping a beat. You can buy those end cap jammies and "plug" them on to the leads of the switch and the rheostat. Its 12V its not going to kill you.

Edited by DubbelEntendre, 08 June 2009 - 07:24 PM.

#19 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

Link here, Chuck This one is actually nicer that the one I have

Word, he says it can only handle 3 L though in his video.

#20 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

Word, he says it can only handle 3 L though in his video.

Well, I just used mine for 3/4 gallon starter for my duopple bock this weekend and had it spinning for a few days. figure this, if it sucks, then you're out 30 bucks plus shipping not hundreds like those other ones, ya feel?just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users