#1 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Ok, so I'm doing a batch of cider for the first time, and I have some questions that I haven't been able to find satisfactory answers for.I used store bought, pasteurized apple juice and concentrate, yeast nutrient, and champagne yeast. It's fermenting along just fine right now. The recipe that I was given also called for adding potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite once fermentation is complete, I think. There's the first question, should I add those before ferm. is complete so that it doesn't dry out too much, or is it better to let it dry out and back-sweeten? Next question, If I'm kegging this, do I need those chemicals at all? As I understand it, they are only for stopping the fermentation, and for preventing/stopping a malolactic ferm. should it take place. Is that correct? How would I know if there has been a malolactic ferm, and even if there has been, wouldn't cold crashing the batch kill any ferm. that is happening? I guess what I'm asking is, can't I just wait until the ferm. is done, back sweeten to my taste if necessary, and keg and carb. it? Beyond that, is making this stuff really this simple? I feel like I'm making prison hooch or something, just mixing up some apple stuff, pitching yeast and letting it go.... If it turns out well, great, but it seems like there should be more to it. :stabby:

#2 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

I've also seen widely varying opinions on how long to let it age. Some recipes/opinions are very short, just let it get done fermenting and yeast clean-up and then good to go, ( 3 to 4 weeks), and then others involve racking numerous times and can take up to 9 months. Is that just the difference between a wild vs. commercial ferment, or just differing opinions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users