#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

So after watching the excellent slide show on All-Grain in the other thread I was curious how many of you test your PH? I never do, but have wondered if it is something that I should add to my process. What do you guys suggest about testing PH?

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87448 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

we tested the PH once and the site got shut down....sorry, someone had to...

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

we tested the PH once and the site got shut down....sorry, someone had to...

:rolf: :covreyes:

#4 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19202 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

Always test and adjust. It's the difference between a good beer and great beer.

#5 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

I've got pretty soft water, I never test and never adjust unless I'm making something really light or really dark.

#6 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10818 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

I always test. It's just one more of the small details that will help you make better beer.

#7 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

I've never really done it. I would consider adding it as part of my process if I was convinced it would halp improve my beer. So far, I don't know enough about how it could help to be convinced.

#8 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

I always test. It's just one more of the small details that will help you make better beer.

I caluclate my mineral additions with some spreadsheets I found on-line. I occasionally test just to be sure. And it is always right on.Use colorpHast strips.- Jim

#9 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

I've never tested pH...

#10 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

So far, I don't know enough about how it could help to be convinced.

I started adjusting my water because I was getting some astringent husky tannins in my lighter brews.- Jim

#11 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19202 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

What's important to know about pH is it affects every step of the process. It's not just about tannins or efficiency. Ultimately, it completely makes the beer taste different.

#12 TelemarkBrew

TelemarkBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSW CT

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

How does that 5.2 buffer product work compared to doing specific adjustments for the PH? would seem easier, but is it not as reliable?

#13 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28147 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

I went through JJpalmers chapter 15(?) on water analysis. Tested PH on beers from light to dark with my water and PH. I now know with a spreadsheet how much calcium carbonate I need to add for my water per style of beer I brew. I haven't tested since I went through that exercise and then tested my method a couple times for accuracy.MB

#14 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

How does that 5.2 buffer product work compared to doing specific adjustments for the PH? would seem easier, but is it not as reliable?

I think it is designed mostly for doing dark beers with soft water. Or was it light beers with hard water? Whatever, it works much better one way than the other. Someone else will have to clear up which way.- Jim

#15 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19202 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

This product has become synonymous with the word band aid. It's better than nothing, but not a real solution. And the product only addresses mash pH.

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

So I guess I should get some test strips and read a little more about the PH in the mash. One thing I've struggled with is getting the right report from the city for the water around here which I think would be helpful along with the PH test.

#17 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

I think it is designed mostly for doing dark beers with soft water. Or was it light beers with hard water? Whatever, it works much better one way than the other. Someone else will have to clear up which way.- Jim

Most people I know have only ever used it on light beers.

#18 TelemarkBrew

TelemarkBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSW CT

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

"This product has become synonymous with the word band aid. It's better than nothing, but not a real solution. And the product only addresses mash pH."ok, thanks. From a batch spargers perspective the PH of the sparge isn't as big of a deal though, correct or did I read Denny's webpage incorrectly?

#19 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

I don' test my Ph, I just use 5.2 stabilizer. For the mash it works great, I've never had a problem, and I don't know why it seems to have a reputation as a "band aid". I'd love to hear why though. From a chemical standpoint it would seem to be more exact than trying to make adjustments with traditional water treatments. I am not a chemist, however, I only know that when I add a tbs to the mash I never miss my Ph.Acidifying sparge water is another issue.

#20 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19202 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

So I guess I should get some test strips and read a little more about the PH in the mash. One thing I've struggled with is getting the right report from the city for the water around here which I think would be helpful along with the PH test.

I think the topic of pH should be split from water composition. Two topics, even though they're related. There's more than one way to get the mash residual alkalinity right, and get your pH right, but really mess up your beer, and visa versa.

"This product has become synonymous with the word band aid. It's better than nothing, but not a real solution. And the product only addresses mash pH."ok, thanks. From a batch spargers perspective the PH of the sparge isn't as big of a deal though, correct or did I read Denny's webpage incorrectly?

No, no, no... Without reading his page, I think you're misunderstanding what he's saying. From previous conversations, I believe he's talking about treating sparge water based on his experience with his soft water supply. pH affects the mash regardless of sparge method.

I don' test my Ph, I just use 5.2 stabilizer. For the mash it works great, I've never had a problem, and I don't know why it seems to have a reputation as a "band aid". I'd love to hear why though. From a chemical standpoint it would seem to be more exact than trying to make adjustments with traditional water treatments. I am not a chemist, however, I only know that when I add a tbs to the mash I never miss my Ph.Acidifying sparge water is another issue.

It's a band aid because it doesn't fully address the problem. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users