#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

I've got a stuck mash in my tun....55% 2-row, 40% Wheat malt, 15% Flaked Wheat/Oats........UGH!

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

I've got a stuck mash in my tun....55% 2-row, 40% Wheat malt, 15% Flaked Wheat/Oats........UGH!

Holy shit man - with that much wheat and oats I'm not surprised. What kind of sparging do you do? fly or batch?

#3 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

You got over 50% gooiness there! If you have some rice hulls handy, you could throw those in and decrease your mash thickness with another infusion of sparge water. Are you batch or fly?

#4 HoppingFrog Brewing

HoppingFrog Brewing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNewport, WA

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

1 sturr the mash 2 Put your lips to the mash tun drain and blow in. 3 Put some rice hull or holw barley/wheat into mash tun stur stur and try again.Try any of the 3 above or all if that worksGo to a copper manifold. they rearley stick.

#5 HoppingFrog Brewing

HoppingFrog Brewing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNewport, WA

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

# 3 stur in barley or wheat

#6 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

This thing is eff'd!!!!I've got mash stuck in my SS braid....UGH I'll try the blow method but I think it's stuck nice and good....oh and its only 35% wheat malt. Not that that matters or anything....CRAP! I'm screaming right now...

#7 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

2 Put your lips to the mash tun drain and blow in.

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! SHE'S FLOWING!!!!

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! SHE'S FLOWING!!!!

Repeat as necessary, probably will be. Good luck.......

#9 HoppingFrog Brewing

HoppingFrog Brewing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNewport, WA

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

with stainless braids you sometimes need to use hot water rather than air the water will clean the braid.If you get a lot of grain particals in the runnings use a hop bag/ strainer to filter to keep grain particals out of the boil/.

#10 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

Put your lips to the drain and blow.

Repeat as necessary.

uh..... :cheers: gj man I probably wouldn't have thought of that. In fact one time I forgot to attach the ss braid to the spigot before mashing in..........so I just poured it through a strainer.... for future batches with so much wheat I have found doing a thinner mash - ~2qts/lb and the addition of a mashout seems to make it run smooth for me. <_<

#11 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

55% + 40% + 15% = 110% ?

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like the problem has been solved for Chad but here is a question. I use a cooler and a false bottom. Now I have had two stuck mashed in the last year and a half. First all grain the elbow of my false bottom/drain valve was pushed onto the bottom of the mash tun, second time grain go under false bottom and plugged the bottom. If you had a stuck mash with a false bottom any suggestions to free that up. This is a just in case question so if it happens to me I can come back and post you guys are awesome the trick worked. My idea would be to stir then let it settle again. Any other ideas for a false bottom? Hope the rest of the brew went well Chad. Was this your Waltzing Matilda?

#13 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

55% + 40% + 15% = 110% ?

I knew someone would eventually catch my horrible addition skills. Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly...All is well now...it's brewed and in the fermenter and already bubbling away! I dodged a bullet tonight....whew!

#14 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

Was this your Waltzing Matilda?

Yep, the Wit ended up smelling great going into the fermenter! There were a few more grain particles in the boil but they settled out in the chill and it siphoned out great...look nice and hazy!I ended up spicing it with lemon zest, coriander, nutmeg, and cinnamon....a delicious summer spiced lemon wit!

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

This was an informative, yet hilarious thread... I can't believe it was over that quickly.Having to perform a BJ on the MLT is not something I want to do... Sure glad no one takes pictures when I brew.I agree with Hopping Frog who said to go to a manifold... I made mine out of cpvc. FWIW, my Hefe that was 50% wheat (and a very fine crush I might add) hit the target 75% efficiency. I used 1lb of pre-soaked rice hulls with that one. In the interim, would suggest rice hulls. In the long term, would suggest building a copper or cpvc manifold.Glad to hear it all worked out in the end... I think I'm going to take my gravity reading... it's been a week.

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

Glad to hear it all worked out in the end... I think I'm going to take my gravity reading... it's been a week.

God I love tasting the gravity reading sample... this is gonna be one hell of a Hefe! Down to 1.012. If it's the same tomorrow night, then I'll bottle on Wednesday night.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:54 AM

This was an informative, yet hilarious thread... I can't believe it was over that quickly.Having to perform a BJ on the MLT is not something I want to do... Sure glad no one takes pictures when I brew.I agree with Hopping Frog who said to go to a manifold... I made mine out of cpvc. FWIW, my Hefe that was 50% wheat (and a very fine crush I might add) hit the target 75% efficiency. I used 1lb of pre-soaked rice hulls with that one. In the interim, would suggest rice hulls. In the long term, would suggest building a copper or cpvc manifold.Glad to hear it all worked out in the end... I think I'm going to take my gravity reading... it's been a week.

I'd be a little worried about putting my mouth near liquids that are potentially so hot...

#18 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:47 AM

I'd be a little worried about putting my mouth near liquids that are potentially so hot...

That is just it though. The liquid stopped flowing. So you blow the tube/spigot to get it flowing again.

#19 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:01 AM

Yes, when I blowing my mash tun last night...it was pretty stuffed up! It was funny too because I must have blown this thing for a couple of minutes and was ready to throw in the towel. Then, as I was standing there cussing it...my mash tun made a giant burp sound and she started shooting wort everywhere! I quickly moved the kettle back underneath the spigot and all was well. Like I said, there were a few more grain particles in the wort but I didn't see flowing through my siphon. It settled really well during the chill and whirlpool.I'll most likely be taking a couple months off from brewing to take care of the little one. I think I'll take this time to build a copper manifold.

#20 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

i remember my first MLT BJ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users