5 replies to this topic

#1 glennh2os

glennh2os

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

Wine kit I asked about in a previous post was made, and wine has been fermenting well. Started off 19 brix, dropped to 7 brix after 10 days, after another 9 it has dropped to 6 brix. 6 brix translates to approx 1.023. The instructions that came with the kit say it should be between 0.998 and 0.999 at this point. My plan is to check it the next couple of days to see if it's still dropping or if it stays put. I know many things can affect fermentation but having no experience with wine makes me wonder if I should be worried. Temp is between 68-74 in the house right now(it's in a spare bathroom etc..).So I'm wondering... 1. Does the fermentation really need to drop so low (the 0.998 number in the instructions)? Is the 19-6 brix drop enough? Initial tastings.. it is definitely wine.. past that I'm not too sure yet. I can't taste any residual sweetness (compared to the first tastings) 2. Check the gravity like I mentioned, and if it hasn't dropped any more just let it sit another week and see where it ends up? ie.. just be patient Patient for how long before starting to worry? 3. Chuck some more yeast in there to get it help in finishing 4. Some other option/trick etc you guys might know..

#2 George

George

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOZ Land

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

I missed what kind of wine kit. It might make some difference.Is the kit still in primary or racked to glass carboy?Main suggestions would be add O-2 by stirring or spash racking to carboy if still in primary fermentor. Also raise the temp a few degrees closer to 75 by using a small heater, like a heat pad. Then watch a few days to verfiy the sg continues to decrease.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

Unless it's a dessert wine you definitely want it to drop below 1.000. A starting Brix of 19 is in range. I'm presuming you followed the directions precisely and diluted it to the suggested volume.My first thought is double check your measurements with a hydrometer. I've made many wine kits, even some that were well past their expiration, and I have never had one not ferment out so that's what makes me think to double check your results. Perhaps give it a stir and see if that changes the results too.If you are still getting a high gravity then I'd bring up the temp to the 70-76°F range and consider pitching some new yeast. What wine kit is it? In many cases they use readily available yeasts so you could easily repitch the same yeast.

#4 glennh2os

glennh2os

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:19 AM

How are you measuring brix? Refractometers need a correction for alcohol. What does you hydrometer say?

I'll dust the hydrometer off and give it a whirl. I've use a refractometer for brewing but never use it for final gravities just starting. What you guys are saying makes sense, I had forgotten about the correction thing :smilielol:

#5 glennh2os

glennh2os

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

I'll dust the hydrometer off and give it a whirl. I've use a refractometer for brewing but never use it for final gravities just starting. What you guys are saying makes sense, I had forgotten about the correction thing :lol:

Lesson learned. Hydrometer reading was perfect...

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

Lesson learned. Hydrometer reading was perfect...

Good to hear :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users