#1 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:55 AM

Apparently it stemmed from an incorrect assumption that since IPA's were hoppier and had more alcohol than pale ales that the hops were causing it. All is right in the world again.

#2 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

Apparently it stemmed from an incorrect assumption that since IPA's were hoppier and had more alcohol than pale ales that the hops were causing it. All is right in the world again.

Wow...that was a close one. Good job buddy! :cheers:

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

You are correct, everyone knows that the beer color determines the alcohol content. That is why dark beers like Guiness are so hard to drink and get your loaded so quickly!!!

#4 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

I actually thought it was temperature...but what do I know; I'm new here. :cheers:

#5 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

I actually thought it was temperature...but what do I know; I'm new here. :cheers:

Dude I need to get me some of those temperature activated bottles so I can brew GOOD beer!

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

it's david spade's fault

Try an association. Like uh... let's say the average person uses 10% of their brain. How much do you use? One and a half percent. The rest is clogged with malted hops and bong resin.

#7 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

I have an acquaintance who is normally a BMC light drinker, who picked up on some conversations about beers between a few of us who are beer geeks. He seized on the term hoppy, and assumed that it meant dark and strong. So now, anything he tastes that is darker in color than Coors light, he offers up his expert assessment of that beer as being "intense and hoppy, kind of good but really, really hoppy, and although he normally likes the hoppy beers, this one may be just a little bit too intense and hoppy." He's used that description for beers ranging from Guinness Draught to Bass Pale Ale. We never correct him, I think because we are too amused.

#8 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

We all know that if it is triple hops brewed then its 3 times as strong, thats why they needs a protector lid...the alchohol is so high it will melt a regular lid.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:23 PM

So, like, when do you add the alcohol?

#10 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

I have an acquaintance who is normally a BMC light drinker, who picked up on some conversations about beers between a few of us who are beer geeks. He seized on the term hoppy, and assumed that it meant dark and strong. So now, anything he tastes that is darker in color than Coors light, he offers up his expert assessment of that beer as being "intense and hoppy, kind of good but really, really hoppy, and although he normally likes the hoppy beers, this one may be just a little bit too intense and hoppy." He's used that description for beers ranging from Guinness Draught to Bass Pale Ale. We never correct him, I think because we are too amused.

We should correct those BMC drinkers when they refer to all flavors and strengths of beer as "really hoppy" or "dark beers". To echo a sentiment from Greg Koch's keynote speech at the AHA conference in Orlando a couple years ago....we are not only homebrewers, but ambassadors of good beer....it's our responsibility to educate the uninformed to good beer.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

I bet if you brewed a beer and never pitched your yeast I would guess some people would drink it and tell you they were feeling tipsy or drunk. I always enjoy answering beer questions to the naive or the uneducated. Hey the more they know the better the chances they will drink good beer. Thanks for setting them straight. I thought there were some knowledgable folks on this board!! :cheers:

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

I remember drinking my first guiness about 9 years ago and thinking, "man this is like eating beer". I thought it had a thick feel and such. I had one about a month ago and I thought, "I don't remember this being watery". :facepalm: My friends and I in the beginning of our drinking days also equated the darkness with how strong it was. I feel like I should go back in time and slap my former self. :cheers:

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

I find it intriguing how the uneducated do equate dark to high alcohol and strong. I bet someone could drink more stouts than pale ales before they might feel the effects.

#14 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

At what point do you use the still when making beer? Aren't you worried about going blind? How about selling it, why don't you do that?

#15 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

We should correct those BMC drinkers when they refer to all flavors and strengths of beer as "really hoppy" or "dark beers". To echo a sentiment from Greg Koch's keynote speech at the AHA conference in Orlando a couple years ago....we are not only homebrewers, but ambassadors of good beer....it's our responsibility to educate the uninformed to good beer.

I guess you are right. The truth is that I don't relish correcting and embarrassing someone in front of a group of people he is trying to impress. If he had asked what hoppy meant I would have gladly explained it to him, in a manner that isn't condescending. But to correct him without embarrassing him would probably require more tact than I am capable of.

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

I guess you are right. The truth is that I don't relish correcting and embarrassing someone in front of a group of people he is trying to impress. If he had asked what hoppy meant I would have gladly explained it to him, in a manner that isn't condescending. But to correct him without embarrassing him would probably require more tact than I am capable of.

Over the past weekend I was back in Chicago and someone asked me how do I know how much alcohol is in my beer...I started answering the question and the others laughed at me...bastards

#17 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

Oh I do understand where you are coming from completely on that. It's difficult situation to be in, but as you said it can be done in a way that is not condescending.

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

Probably 7 years ago I was working at a BBQ joint and I decided to bring in some of my beers for a few coworkers to drink after work. My one friend and I were drinking a IIPA that I had made. He commented that he liked how hoppy it was. Well, another coworker overheard us talking and a bit later when he was drinking one of my apricot hefes he told me that he loved how "jumpy" the beer was... It took me a few moments to figure it all out, but apparently he mistook "hoppy" for "jumpy"...

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

I find it intriguing how the uneducated do equate dark to high alcohol and strong. I bet someone could drink more stouts than pale ales before they might feel the effects.

I was actually having this conversation on the phone with my sister yesterday.I also tried to convince a co-worker that a Guiness type stout was actually healthier for you (he was doing Atkins Diet at the time) because the style actually utilized less sugars than other styles with higher OG's that he would normally go for. The rich flavor of a stout, I think WE all agree, has nothing to do with the alcohol content. But for the BMC drinkers... flavor must mean higher alcohol content.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

:cheers: This makes me die a little inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users