21 replies to this topic

#1 LiverDance

LiverDance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHalfiax, Nova Scotia

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

I just found out this moring that my beer has been selected as one of the final four to be judged in a first ever Brew Off sponsored by a local brewing company Garrison Brewing. Winner gets their beer released as a seasonal! I just want to give shout outs to Justin and Steve for helping design and brew this great beer and to everyone on these boards who have guided me in my brewing evolution! Wish me luck. Here is the process and what the winner gets. Review, Judging and Awards Reception:Ø All entries will receive a written evaluation (including suggestions if applicable) by our award-winningBrewmaster, Daniel Girard.Ø The top four (4) entries will be selected by Daniel Girard for final judging by BJCP certified judges;Ø Awards will be handed out at a reception on Thursday May 28, 2009 at Garrison Brewery (1149 MarginalRoad) and finalists are asked to bring a quantity of their brew for attendees to sample.Prizes:Ø The Gold Medal winner will be invited to join Daniel in brewing a full-sized batch of their recipe for packaging& release as a limited edition seasonal. They will also receive two flats (48 bottles) of the finished beer, a $75Noble Grape gift certificate & be presented with a trophy that will remain on display at the brewery;Ø Prizes also be given out for Silver, Bronze & Honourable Mention including gift certificates from Noble Grape. :cheers:Cheers LD

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

:D Congrats!

#3 D86D

D86D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

Outstanding. Congratulations. That's gotta feel good

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

Congrats and Good Luck! There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you want to win it all! The possibility of brewing on a larger scale and releasing it to the public is too cool!

#5 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

that's awesome..hope you kick ass and win

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

That is awesome and congratulations. I am sure you are more than thrilled with an opportunity like that, it is the dream of many a homebrewer. What style of beer did you brew for the competition? Congrats and hope you win it all. Mike

#7 LiverDance

LiverDance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. The style was ordinary bitter, everyone had to brew the same style and now it's down to 4. I do hope we win cause brewing a beer and releasing it to the public would be an incredible experience. This is also the first time i've ever entered anything into competition :D

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

Wow is that first time luck? Final four is like being in the competition best of show round that I know of at least. I am sure its a tastey brew being final four and they were all the same style. Nice work.

#9 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

see you there! I wish I could try some of your brew :D :cheers:

#10 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

Congratulations, that's got to be a good feeling. Best of luck in the final round. I hope you win.

#11 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:09 AM

Good luck. I couldn't enter the comp because they only accepted entries from the 3 Atlantic provinces and excluded Nfld.You must have brewed an exceptional beer. ;)

#12 LiverDance

LiverDance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:19 AM

Sorry to hear that they exclude Nfld, that doesn't really make sense to me. I'm sure you would have done well also. The beer is good, once you drink one you just want more, which i'm sure is a great marketing tool ;)

#13 TelemarkBrew

TelemarkBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSW CT

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

congrats, you mind sharing the recipe?

#14 LiverDance

LiverDance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

There isn't much to the recipe but it seems to have done the trick. We brewed 40 Litres and split the batch between WY1098 and WY1968 for 2 seperate entries. The WY1098 is the one that will be judged tomorrow in the finals. Standard/Ordinary Bitter Type: All Grain Batch Size: 40.00 LBoil Size: 48.45 L Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: 10 Gallon Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 Amount Item Type % or IBU 6.60 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 91.41 % 0.42 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 5.82 % 0.20 kg Aromatic Malt (51.2 EBC) Grain 2.77 % 70.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.2 IBU 30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU 30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU 1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale Original Gravity: 1.040 SGFinal Gravity: 1.010 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.86 % Bitterness: 33.7 IBU Est Color: 16.4 EBC Mash ProfileSingle Infusion60 min Mash In Add 18.05 L of water at 173.0 F 156.0 F Fermented at 64 F for 10 daysSecondary at 66 F for 10 days

#15 McNuggets

McNuggets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

shout outs to Justin and Steve for

Which Justin and Steve. How did you do? :)

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

wow...that is really really close to my esb....GOOD LUCK~!

#17 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:25 AM

wow what a good night!!! congrats brian, you deserve it man!

#18 LiverDance

LiverDance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for the wishes everyone. We ended up winning the competition and now get to brew with the big boys! It all seems a little crazy right now, i still can't believe we won.

#19 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:49 AM

nice! congrats! take a lot of pictures of the brewday and share them.

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the wishes everyone. We ended up winning the competition and now get to brew with the big boys! It all seems a little crazy right now, i still can't believe we won.

Awesome! Now you can do the Happy Dance! :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users