#1 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:36 AM

I was wondering if anyone has bought from hopsdirect.com recently. It looks like their prices have gone down some, does anyone know about what their shipping charges look like? If you bought from them recently what varieties did you buy? What are you hoping to brew?THanks,

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:54 AM

I just made a big order with Hopsdirect about 3 weeks ago. I got 11lbs of hops since I wanted to stock up and save on shipping. The crap part is they lowered their prices the week after I bought mine. Oh well. I have observed this about the shipping. I did UPS ground and it took 6 days to get here to N Carolina from Washington State. If you buy say 5lbs you can go to shipping estimator on UPS.com and go from their zip to yours and get a ballpark dollar amount. What I have noticed is that the UPS amount is always more than what HopDirect charges you. For my 11lb order UPS said $20 and Hopsdirect charged me $16. You can e mail Hopsdirect too and ask for a shipping cost estimate as well let them know what you wanna buy before you order. Here is what I boughtIPA's Pale AlesChinookCentennielCascadeMt HoodWillametteCal Common and JPANorthern Brewer English Beers Milds, IPA's ESBUK FugglesUK First GoldGerman LagersGerman HallertauGerman SpalterGerman Saphir

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

Yes - they've gone down. Great deal on Williamettes right now!

#4 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

I just picked up some Willamettes, Amarillo and Norther Brewer for pales, IPA and common.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

I had 9 lbs shipped to MA for $14.

#6 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

Do they ship their hops with cold packs?

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

Nope they do not. If you want them fast you would have to pay for overnight or some fast shipping method. The come vacuum sealed but they are wrapped in packing material and shipped in a cardboard box. Thats part of why I ordered when I did with the heat coming shortly.

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

Does anybody? I've only seen that done with yeast. If someone shipped hops with cold packs I'd consider that the rare exception since I don't know of anyone that does.

#9 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

Does anybody? I've only seen that done with yeast. If someone shipped hops with cold packs I'd consider that the rare exception since I don't know of anyone that does.

Oh, I always buy from the LHBS. But the prices are good and they have good varieties at hopsdirect.com so I was thinking about placing an order, but didn't know how they packaged them for shipping.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

I say go for it. I don't know any LHBS that can compete with prices in the $1.50 range for an ounce. My LHBS is like $3.50-$4.00 an ounce. It was a no brainer to me. You will probably get yours in like 4 5 days from shipping. They are not going to deteriorate in that amount of time. Mine stay vacuumed sealed and go right to the freezer when they arrive too. I have been using a previous order I had for the last 6 months, great aroma and quality you can't beat it in my opinion.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

I've ordered 7# in the last few weeks with the lower prices. They ship in nitrogen sealed packs IIRC. Never had a problem with them. But I need to break them down and vacuum seal soon, no hurry because they're in the freezer. I don't think you can buy hops from anywhere that have cold packs and in a week of shipping time it's probably not a problem IMO.So, whatcha ordering??

#12 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

I've ordered 7# in the last few weeks with the lower prices. They ship in nitrogen sealed packs IIRC. Never had a problem with them. But I need to break them down and vacuum seal soon, no hurry because they're in the freezer. I don't think you can buy hops from anywhere that have cold packs and in a week of shipping time it's probably not a problem IMO.So, whatcha ordering??

Amarillos, Cascades, Centennial, US Golding, Willamette All PelletsEKG Leafs

#13 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

Amarillos, Cascades, Centennial, US Golding, Willamette All PelletsEKG Leafs

Thanks for the replies. THis thread has convinced me to put in an order. I am going with an order that will have some multi-tasker hops: What do you all think?APAsColumbus - isn't this good for bittering in general?CentenialAmarilloEnglish AlesWillamettes (isn't this Fuggle-like?)Common/Hop for everythingNorthern Brewer (can't this be used for just about anything?)

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:54 AM

Nice deal, Yes the Columbus is a great bittering hop, good alpha and can be used for some flavor addition too. I brewed an IPA with mine and its carbing up now as well.Willamette is a fuggle derivative yes.Northern Brewer while it is very common and cornerstone of California Common I think you can use it in anything you like. The JPA used it to bitter as well. Enjoy and good luck.

#15 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

I finally took the plunge and bought 5 # of hops. I bought a pound of NB, Columbus, Centennial and two pounds of Willamette (they were $10 a #). Sadly, they didn't have Amarillo any more. The packages were vacuumed sealed and were pretty much on the marker in terms of weight. No generous servings, but no scrimping either. I figure, in all, I paid about $1.12 an ounce. This should last me over a year or so.

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

I finally took the plunge and bought 5 # of hops. I bought a pound of NB, Columbus, Centennial and two pounds of Willamette (they were $10 a #). Sadly, they didn't have Amarillo any more. The packages were vacuumed sealed and were pretty much on the marker in terms of weight. No generous servings, but no scrimping either. I figure, in all, I paid about $1.12 an ounce. This should last me over a year or so.

They didn't have any Amarillo? Were you trying to buy pellets or leaf? Sorry I just ask since I go there and check on the selection and its at the top of each list with the option to add to your cart? Did they contact you that they were not available? I just see that they are up for sale on the leaf and pellet and just surpised they didn't take them down. Man if they are out that sucks. I bought a lb back a few months and thought I would order another sometime soon. I love Amarillo hops.

#17 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

They didn't have any Amarillo? Were you trying to buy pellets or leaf? Sorry I just ask since I go there and check on the selection and its at the top of each list with the option to add to your cart? Did they contact you that they were not available? I just see that they are up for sale on the leaf and pellet and just surpised they didn't take them down. Man if they are out that sucks. I bought a lb back a few months and thought I would order another sometime soon. I love Amarillo hops.

Looks like they just added some. I placed the order on July 30 or so and when I went to their website, Amarillo was not listed in either leaf or pellet form. Maybe I'll have to put in an order for one pound of amarillo.

#18 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

I received a 1#each of Amarillo and Centennial about two weeks ago, a month ago i got the Northern Brewer (leaf)and the Williamette (pl) deal. $10 a # i had to have one. I want to get more Northern Brewer, and Some Columbus (zeus) next.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

I need me some 'rillos, columbus and NB. Might make another order.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

I have been looking at them often .. getting ready to place an order myself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users