#1 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

I think I saw this once or twice on the ol place that no longer exists, but never saw it seriously discussed. Basically, Jack Daniels sells ground up used oak barrels for folks to use in their smokers to flavor their food. The bags STINK of their Tennessee whiskey; merely putting your face within 3 feet of the bag smells like an open bottle. To me, it seems to me that these oak chips would add significant flavor to beers.Has anyone here ever tried them? I know that there are more secure means of using oak, but for 5.45 a bag for a few pounds, this offer seems well worth some experimentation. However, if anyone here has already used them, I'd love to know your thoughts...Vanilla oaked stout...Oaked IIPA...Thoughts?

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21323 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

I had a Scottish ale that was matured in Jack barrels.All I can say is it was sublime. They would only sell you one pint at a sitting, (very limited production). That stuff was awesome in a glass.

#3 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

I bottled a batch of Scotch ale about two weeks ago which i aged for 3 weeks with about 2 oz of those chips. I soaked them in some extra Jack first before adding them.I was very pleased with the oak taste, but the Jack flavor is way too subtle. It is almost non-existent. I will definitely do this one again but I will need to add additional whiskey to spike up that part of the taste.

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

Sadly the effects of barrel aging cannot be realized through the use of chips, cubes, or spirals IMO. I know the best RIS (A Yeti Clone) I ever made was the first beer to go through my 5 gallon heavy char oak barrel. Like DD said, it was just sublime and surpassed any expectation I ever had. Since a barrel is not often an option I think a combination of heavy char American oak cubes and chips combined with some extended aging will be the best bet. Add your preferred bourbon or whiskey to taste shortly before bottling/kegging.

#5 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21323 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

I would love to do a batch of beer and have it aged in a JD barrel.A couple of issues arise though...1: I would have to brew 60 gallons of beer to end up with the 58 gallons in a barrel.2: The barrels are 165.00 each.Maybe a group project?6 of us brew 10 gallons of the same beer.Send/collect the finial 60 gallons in one spot. Transfer to the barrel.Let sit for 3-6 months in the barrel.Everyone walks home with 9.75 gallons of liquid awesome.Sounds like a plan...

#6 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

I think I'll experiment with the oak chips soon. I don't know the quantities, but I think I'll soak the chips in some eagle reserve for a week and then add them to my carboy.I'm thinking an RIS+a vanilla bean in secondary and then some oak chips.Thinking it'll be a good fall/winter warmer.

#7 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

I know my old club (Foam on the Range in Denver) just did this on a barrel they got from the Stranahan distillery in downtown Denver. All I heard were the awesome quality when they were done!

#8 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Said chips are in my possession. Now, I just sorta need to... you know... brew a beer for them to soak in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users