#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

I was at the corner beer/wine shop, saw this in the cooler for $5.49/bomber, and had to pick it up.

Crispin Hard Ciders are naturally fermented using a premium apple juice blend, not from concentrate, with no added malt, grape wine or spirit alcohol.Crispin’s unique flavors are smoothed with pure apple juice or organic honey or organic maple syrup and contain no added colorants, sorbate or benzoate preservatives and are cold filtered for crisp refreshment. Perfection is just the tip of the iceberg.

Posted Image

New Crispin Honey Crisp Artisanal Reserve™ is a small batch, hand crafted, super-premium hard apple cider smoothed with real organic honey for a rich, creamy, full-bodied crisp taste. Smooth over ice.Cloudy Hard Cider™. For the discerning drinker, Honey Crisp’s artisanal style is embodied in our unique Cloudy Filtration™ process, using racked unfiltered apple wine that leaves residual natural apple wine sediment in the bottle. Every bottle should receive a full Bottoms-Up! tilt and swirl before opening and enjoying.Naturally fermented using a premium apple juice blend, not from apple juice concentrate, with no added malt, spirit or grape alcohol. Honey Crisp is smoothed with pure organic honey, with no added sugar, colorants or sorbate or benzoate preservatives. Honey Crisp's apple juice is a fresh pressed blend of 3 to 5 different apples. We do not use the Honeycrisp apple, a very fine dessert eating apple, but in our experience and in our opinion, not a fine base for apple wine.

seriously worth checking out if you can get your hands on it. This is good stuff. Talk to your distributor, beg your beer seller to carry it, slap your mother... do what ever it takes to get this in your glass.

Edited by EWW, 20 December 2010 - 09:34 PM.

#2 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26167 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

This is still a solid product, but once I got to the second pour that kicked up some lees it went down a hill a bit. Just goes to show you can't rush a good cider. You really need a few transfers to clean it up a bit. Still good, and a bold effort put forth by an American producer, but could have been better. I'd still buy it again, but for my taste buds you need to get the yeast out.

Edited by EWW, 20 December 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#3 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Etienne Dupont, if you can get it, is my all time favorite. Tasted the 2006 against the 2008 last week. The stuff ages like fine wine.

#4 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19200 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Etienne Dupont, if you can get it, is my all time favorite. Tasted the 2006 against the 2008 last week. The stuff ages like fine wine.

I'm a big fan of Norman hard ciders.

#5 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed about four different Crispin ciders at the Milwaukee Beer Barons' World of Beer Festival last June. Chatted with the cidermaster (or whatever you call him). Very very good stuff -- worth the price of admission in itself. I hope the Beer Barons bring back the mead and cider in future years. It's not so easy to find in stores around here.

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

I was at the corner beer/wine shop, saw this in the cooler for $5.49/bomber, and had to pick it up.seriously worth checking out if you can get your hands on it. This is good stuff. Talk to your distributor, beg your beer seller to carry it, slap your mother... do what ever it takes to get this in your glass.

...I don't know if I'd slap my mother for this cider, but it's pretty darn good. I actually picked it up on your recommendation. I just tried one of their other ciders that came in a four pack of cans, and I was looking at trying some moar cider. Thanks for the recommendation, have you had the other ciders in that series? I didn't realize that they recommend swirling the sediment in with the cider.

#7 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26167 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

I haven't tried the rest, but would if I could get my hands on it. I would decant this if I have it again. The lees do not help IMHO.

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Right,I did my best to leave everything in the bottle, and even in the second pour i didn't get too much. My local place has the other two ciders in the artisan series so I might pick them up. I'm really interested in trying "The Saint." Cider fermented with Trappist ale yeast.

#9 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

I'm really interested in trying "The Saint." Cider fermented with Trappist ale yeast.

I've tried it. While it is good, don't expect what you think you should expect. This isn't beer, and won't taste at all like a Trappist anything that you've ever had before.

#10 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

I've tried it. While it is good, don't expect what you think you should expect. This isn't beer, and won't taste at all like a Trappist anything that you've ever had before.

Right.Only recently I've started getting into ciders. I'm really just trying to give these a try when I get the chance because I really am more of a beer guy. I would like to get into ciders too, and maybe make a couple. I've done two, but haven't been too impressed with the results.

#11 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

Get yourself some Magner's, and discover the wonders that Brettanomyces can bring to the world of cider. Yum!

#12 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

Get yourself some Magner's, and discover the wonders that Brettanomyces can bring to the world of cider. Yum!

I just found some fresh at my local place. I really didn't notice that much of a difference, though it does have a noticeably darker color than other ciders I've had. It even kind of reminds me of the ciders I've made, though mine are Bone dry since I can only bottle condition. Also, the cider I made was from natural pressing, so it might have the flavor of the yeasts and bugs in it too!I think my next pack of cider is going to be This

#13 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

Way to revive an ancient thread...I've tried about 7 different ciders from Crispin, and I think the Saint was my least favorite of all. It just does not meet any expectations and on its own is likewise less than mediocre. Among Crispin's best are the regular stuff (I forget the exact name) as well as the Brut, which is basically the same but an extra percent ABV or whatever.For something really tart, I like ACE cider (from California). It's the most tart cider I've tasted, and a very good one for flavor as well. ACE is not just a little tart, it's TART with capital letters. And -- bonus -- it's fairly easy to find! Even if you think it is too tart, you can blend it with a sweeter cider from Crispin or Magner's or elsewhere, and the ACE brings the pH down and drinkability up to where it should be. Great for blending, or on its own.Also seek out English style ciders whenever possible, which are typically very hard to find in the USA. Gaymer's is my favorite but I've found it only in Canada. Crispin's new Brown's Lane imported English style is very similar to Gaymer's and *might* be easier to find, but who knows if it will become a staple for them or just some sort of limited release -- I really hope they keep selling it because it really is the best cider I've found around here. Too often your only option is Woodchuck or maybe Strongbow..... yawn on both counts.......Of course you can always just make your own, but that should go without saying.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:13 AM

Of course you can always just make your own, but that should go without saying.

wait, what!??!! :blink:

#15 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26167 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

I've been a big fan of tieton ciderworks lately....really good almost as good as homemadehttps://www.tietonciderworks.com/

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

https://www.demaisonselections.com/trabancocp.htmlthis has been my favorite I have tried in awhile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users