#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Sipping a nice Am Rye that I brewed a month ago. 30% rye, 70% Pale and a little Special Roast.Almost forgot, 4 additions of Simcoe, FWH, 60, 10 and 0 :smilielol: Tasty stuff......

#2 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:02 PM

Blech.We were doing a tasting the other day in the brewery, and we had a double IPA, I forget which one, and one of the workers who tried it made a face and said blech.I asked him what was wrong, and he tried to describe the taste and finally settled on cat pee.I took up a glass thinking to myself "simcoe" and sipped it, yep.....simcoe. Blech.To each his own I guess.:smilielol:BrewBasser

#3 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35404 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:28 AM

Had an IPA made with simcoe the other day. Or at least I guess it was simcoe. First whiff and I thought "woo! cat urine!"...Meh...

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

I made a simcoe APA. Simcoe FWH, 60 minute & 7 minute, Glaciers before and after that. For a long time it was 12 ounces of carbonated PineSol. It mellowed out eventually. A little of those things go a long way.I am doing a Rye Pale Ale too. My stash of Simcoe will stay in the freezer. Spalt & Liberty for me, on an Alt Beer yeast cake.

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

just made a SMaSH munich/simcoe that I will ferment with 1214 belgian abby when I find that smackpack......ohhhh drinking and brewing...... I loooove simcoe, never get the cat pee thing from it..

#6 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

If Simcoe tastes like cat pee then call me Kenny the Cheeser...

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:21 AM

If Simcoe tastes like cat pee then call me Kenny the Cheeser...

+1What's wrong with you Basser, also an observation, how is it you definitively know what cat pee tastes like? :)

#8 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

+1What's wrong with you Basser, also an observation, how is it you definitively know what cat pee tastes like? :D

80% of taste is aroma.I own 4 cats.BrewBasser

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I HATE cat pee smell, I do NOT get it from Simcoe, YMMV.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

That explains the west wind we get ;)

#11 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

I forgot I had some simcoe from a trade, i opened it today and well yea, a not so pleasant aroma.

#12 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

I wonder if there is a bad batch of Simcoe circulating around. To me, Simcoe tastes and smells piney and slightly pungent. But to me it's pleasant, and combines very nicely with the C-hops. I've neve gotten anything unpleasant from it, and especially nothing like cat pee. Cat pee smells like ammonia. If you have some hops that smell like ammonia, than I would advise throwing them out; they just might have gone bad on you. Maybe Simcoe picks up that trait when it stales?

#13 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:55 AM

I wonder if there is a bad batch of Simcoe circulating around. To me, Simcoe tastes and smells piney and slightly pungent. But to me it's pleasant, and combines very nicely with the C-hops. I've neve gotten anything unpleasant from it, and especially nothing like cat pee. Cat pee smells like ammonia. If you have some hops that smell like ammonia, than I would advise throwing them out; they just might have gone bad on you. Maybe Simcoe picks up that trait when it stales?

Ammonia is old concentrated cat pee smell. Cat pee does indeed have an odor of its own.I am not alone in my "cat pee" assessment of Simcoe. It is a longstanding and common assessment by some number of people.Hey, I'm not telling you to not like it.Simcoe is one of those cilantro things. Either you like it or you hate it. I like cilantroBrewBasser

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:49 AM

I'm owned by 4 cats.BrewBasser

FTFY ;)

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

That is a pretty accurate assessment.BrewBasser

#16 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:08 AM

Shit, I have 1 cat and he alone stinks up my house. When we were studying for the BJCP exam there was one beer that definitely had the cat pee stench. I wish I remembered which beer that was. But I know now not to stock up on Simcoe.

#17 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

These is are typical comments by the haters:

Which is the one that smells like a cat's litterbox? is it Simcoe? It seems popular in a lot of brewpubs, but I can't stand it. It smells like my cat took a wiz on some pineapples and rubbed one of those pine car air freshners on top.

I appreciate good hops and I like Simcoe when used in moderation, but Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe reminded me of cleaning an overused litter box

BrewBasser

#18 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33971 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

this sounds like the announcments they were making at woodstock. "attention. there's some bad acid going around. be careful."

#19 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:07 PM

.......Simcoe is one of those cilantro things. Either you like it or you hate it. I like cilantroBrewBasser

This is becoming clearer now. So you like soap on your food ;)

#20 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

Maybe it's something like mint and dill. They are chiral isomers (mirror images), and in Organic class they passed two Q-tips around with the extracts of mint and dill. I got all flustered because I mixed them up. They smell the same to me. Everyone else laughed because they were obviously different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users