Good info! Thanks Ken!

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:57 PM

I had a red lager lined up for this weekend but you're really, really making me want to make a dunkel.  Like really, really, really.  Like I think you changed my mind.  :D  One reason is that I have this Omega Bayern (Augustiner's yeast) ready for one last go and Augustiner's dunkel is outstanding.  

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:58 PM

I had a red lager lined up for this weekend but you're really, really making me want to make a dunkel.  Like really, really, really.  Like I think you changed my mind.  :D

I have some dark Munich and WLP835 just sitting around.  I am thinking a dunkel (in cans) would be nice!

#24 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:04 PM

Do you think the caramunich will leave this too sweet or is it just not needed for complexity? It gives some color too, but the carafa could potentially be upped

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:18 PM

Doobah has changed my mind and here's the recipe (Munich Dunkel, not U Fleku)...

2i134hw.png

One thing I wanted to mention is that I looked very closely at the water before I made this beer.  I ended up with:  Ca 60, Mg 13, Na 12, Cl 50 and SO4 50.  Having the SO4 and Cl even made the beer crisper and drier which helped to offset all of that Munich 2.  I have occasionally had a beer that finished overly malty and sweet and it's not a happy beer.  :D  I made this dunkel twice and made notes about how nicely the water balance helped to keep the beer where it should be.

Do you think the caramunich will leave this too sweet or is it just not needed for complexity? It gives some color too, but the carafa could potentially be upped

I just feel like you're already getting A LOT of maltiness from the Munich and A LOT of color from the carafa so I think it would be unnecessary.  Plus... the Germans are all about simplicity in their recipes.  Anytime I make a German style I think "simple" and try to get to the finish line with as few ingredients as possible.  My latest Oktoberfest lager is two grains and one hop (added one time)... and yeast.  That's it.  

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

I have some dark Munich and WLP835 just sitting around.  I am thinking a dunkel (in cans) would be nice!

Let's all chant, shall we?  ... Brew it!  Brew it!  Brew it!  :lol:

Is 835 the Andechs yeast?  Did you get that from the White Labs vault program kind of thing?  I have never used it (AFAIK)... do you know what it's like?  Any characteristics you can describe?  

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:25 AM

Let's all chant, shall we?  ... Brew it!  Brew it!  Brew it!  :lol:

Is 835 the Andechs yeast?  Did you get that from the White Labs vault program kind of thing?  I have never used it (AFAIK)... do you know what it's like?  Any characteristics you can describe?  

It is Andechs yeast.  I have not used it but had Andechs fresh in Munich so I want to give it a try.  It was the summer special release this year and I had to search around to find it.  They also have it as a vault offering.

#28 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

The yeast won’t be ready til next week. Brewing a rye pale ale instead

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

Doobah:  Here's a reference for you... not a great indicator since it's just wort in the tubing from today's batch but it's something:

2s0lsma.jpg

62% Munich 2, 36% Pilsner, 2% Carafa 3.  It will be dark but not as dark as the U Fleku.  Another shot of dunkel from past batches (same recipe):

jqooc2.jpg

#30 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

Looks great!

I’m pretty excited for this brew.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

I'm not sure how much more carafa you would have to add to get it to that opaque look but I would say at least 3% if not more.  Good luck and let us know how it comes out.  Btw, is this being brewed commercially (at your work) or are you just noodling with this on a homebrewing level?

#32 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

Commercially. Seven barrels.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:57 AM

Commercially. Seven barrels.

You get a new gig at a brewery?

#34 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

I’m going with 58% dark Munich, 35% Pilsner, 7% Carafa III. Gets me to about 32 SRM. I think I mentioned earlier but I’m using WL802. I’ve got some Loral hops that I’ll just add at 60 mins to get 15-20 IBUs.

Can’t wait to drink this beer! I used that same yeast for an Oktoberfest with great results :cheers:

You get a new gig at a brewery?

I’ve got two (eventually three) breweries that I work with. It’s been probably a year with them but I’ve brewed professionally since 2012. Ran a whiskey distillery for a few years in there too as a second job.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

Can't wait to hear how it comes out.

#36 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

Running off into the fermenter now. 13 P/1.053

I ended up reducing the carafa III down to just shy of 5% 35% pilsner 60% dark Munich

Nice color, wort tastes great

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

Running off into the fermenter now. 13 P/1.053

I ended up reducing the carafa III down to just shy of 5% 35% pilsner 60% dark Munich

Nice color, wort tastes great

Mmm, yum.  That's going to be great.  What did you do on the hops?  802 for the yeast, right?

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:25 PM

I'd say it's unnecessary

#39 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

About 20 IBU of Loral. Yup. 802

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:09 PM

About 20 IBU of Loral. Yup. 802

Oh yeah, I remember.  Nice.  Update us once you sample it.  I'm transferring my Munich Dunkel tomorrow or Friday and then making a Red Lager over the weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users