#1 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Denny and Ken L.or any one else for that matter.One of my best friends is moving back home after almost 20 years of college and traveling the world.he has in itch to start home brewing.I'd like to get him brewing on the right foot so this week I asked what type of beer does he like. #1 overall was U Fleku from Prauge and a close second was 1554.so I'm asking if any one has a real close to or a clone of U Fleku it seems like a great easy drinking beer and i've found a few very old threads about it but I thought I'dask a few of the more "worldly traveled" brewers on the board.Thanks in advance.Prost!!!does this work as a Schwarzbier?

#2 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23545 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

You probably already saw....https://hbd.org/discus/messages/15516/16738.html?1056164682https://hbd.org/discus/messages/15516/17891.html?1063431349Not certain if there's much good in there....

#3 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

You probably already saw....https://hbd.org/disc...html?1056164682https://hbd.org/disc...html?1063431349Not certain if there's much good in there....

Yes I have those saved. that is what led me to re post up here.I thought perhpas some one by now had taken those and tweaked it a little bit.thanks for the links though..

#4 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

There was one in Zymurgy a few years ago that Charlie posted from his visit to Prague.

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Since I thought you were calling me an impolite name rather than referencing a beer, I really have nothing to add here. Sorry. :facepalm:

#6 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:49 AM

I'm planning on making a Czech Dark this winter, after having quite a few early this year, but I haven't made one yet. It's essentially a darker, slightly more bitter version of a Dunkle, like a Schwarzbier but without the slight roastiness of Koestritzer.My estimate is that it's 99% Dark Munich (the German kind, Breiss Dark Munich wouldn't work) and Carafa II (I'd say III, but I get less roast flavor from II) for color, to 13 plato (most of these beers are more like 10-12 plato, but U Fleku is 13 plato). Mashed low and long to finish dry. Saaz, mostly for bittering to 25-30 IBU, perhaps. I don't think there's much of any Crystal Malt in there, maybe 1-2% of Dark CaraMunich, but I'm skeptical. Wyeast 2278 sounds like it might be a good choice.

#7 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:07 AM

thanks for the input. I have found a few other links that may help a little.one E-mail in to the source it's self. the rub is there is no way to get this beer unlessI go to the brewery. I have no plans to fly into the Czech Republic any time soon.if some one has plans to would you kindly send me and JZ a few bottles.

#8 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

I don't think you can get U Fleku in bottles. Maybe they do sell some at the pub, I don't remember seeing them.The closest thing I've seen here regularly is Krušovice dark, but that's a slightly lighter beer. I keep hoping that they'll start importing Budvar Dark, which is decent. I think I've seen Bernard around at some point, but no one seems to have it at the moment.I'd recommend going to Prague.

#9 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

I found this article by Horst Dombusch, which seems to give a thoroughly detailed recipe and mash schedule for U Fleku.The only thing he doesn't seem to quite give away is the yeast, but he hints that it's from a large local brewery, so it's probably Staropromen.I think I'll make it in 2 weeks, but I'll need to decide what yeast to sub, since Staropromen isn't available this year.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

I've got one in the fermenter now. If it turns out well, I'll let ya know. If it doesn't, I'll drink it quietly!

#11 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Fleku me?? No, Fleku U!! Posted Image Sorry couldn't resist....nothing to add so I'll shut up now...Posted Image

#12 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

I found this article by Horst Dombusch, which seems to give a thoroughly detailed recipe and mash schedule for U Fleku.The only thing he doesn't seem to quite give away is the yeast, but he hints that it's from a large local brewery, so it's probably Staropromen.I think I'll make it in 2 weeks, but I'll need to decide what yeast to sub, since Staropromen isn't available this year.

AWESOME!!!!please do let me know how things turn out...I look forward to yours and Denny's detailed reports. :P

#13 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

I've got one in the fermenter now. If it turns out well, I'll let ya know. If it doesn't, I'll drink it quietly!

Denny,What Yeast did you Choose to use.If all goes well I will be making a 10G batch but I may split and use 2 diff yeast just because it sounds fun.

#14 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

It would be interesting to try two yeasts. I'll probably just go with Bohemian Lager Yeast, but it would be interesting to compare it against something like WY2278.

#15 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

It would be interesting to try two yeasts. I'll probably just go with Bohemian Lager Yeast, but it would be interesting to compare it against something like WY2278.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

Denny,What Yeast did you Choose to use.If all goes well I will be making a 10G batch but I may split and use 2 diff yeast just because it sounds fun.

WY2206. I've had good luck with that one for this style before.

#17 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

Has anyone made any headway on these dark lagers? I’m going to brew one next week I think

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

Has anyone made any headway on these dark lagers? I’m going to brew one next week I think

I haven't really attempted it but I did sample a number of dunkels in Munich after being in Prague and sampling the dark lager at U Fleku.  It's very nice.  Since I sampled those all within a few days time, my recollection is that the Munich dunkels were clearer and slightly more pale although they were pretty dark.  The U Fleku dark lager is pretty much opaque with a big head on it and its hop character is quite low.   If I were to start down this path I would make my dunkel (I'll post the recipe for you if you want) and add more carafa 3 to the recipe and use a Czech yeast along the lines of 802 or maybe 2278.  The wild part about the "darkness" of the beer is that it's still a very smooth and refreshing beer.  I would bet that Chils has additional (or better) information but that's where I would start.  The issue is that you have nothing to compare it to now.

TL;DR:  If you held a munich dunkel up to the light you would be able to see through it (examples would be Hacker Pschorr or Augustiner) but if you held the U Fleku dark lager up to the light I don't think you can see through it.  Also, in the vid below, go to about 16:00... they're at U Fleku drinking TF out of the dark lager.

What's hilarious is that I walked around that place in the middle of a weekday so there wasn't that many people.  I was actually in that bathroom (from the vid) and was laughing my ass off.  

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

Sure, I’d love to pursue it. It’s been 6 years since I was there, but I remember it being not very roasty at all.

I was thinking a mix of pils, dark Munich, and Vienna for the base. Caramunich III about 5%, Carafa II about 5%

I’ve got a bunch of Loral for the bittering, still debating on a late kettle addition.

Definitely was planning on 802

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:30 PM

Check out the recipe HERE in the OP. The recipe created a great beer and there are four pages of information on the topic including some by Brauer (whatever happened to Brauer?!? He was a treasury of good brewing information) and the beer is in the style of a Munich Dunkel. I learned that the base of the recipe is not pils but Munich 2. Feel free to adjust to get to U Fleku. Also, Loral sounds like a good idea because it's a "new" hop but it's supposed to have some "noble" action going on too.

Here's a pic of the beer from that recipe. You can see that the beer is not quite as dark as the U Fleku beer in the vid.  More Carafa 2 or 3 but I'm not sure how much more.  I would avoid the CaraMunich you suggested... I just don't think it's necessary

2ag70d4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users