Photo
- - - - -

You remember when Chubbs told Happy to go to his happy place?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

My basement (cue angels singing):Posted Image

#2 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

Im itching to be done work right now. Cant wait to meet on sunday....i think my lady already knows the plan for memorial day, too bad for her. :smilielol:

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

JK are all those grain bags yours or are you having to disseminate those to other fellow brewers? I thought I was buying a lot when I got 7 bags although I am itching to get more soon as well. I hear those angels calling.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

JK are all those grain bags yours or are you having to disseminate those to other fellow brewers? I thought I was buying a lot when I got 7 bags although I am itching to get more soon as well. I hear those angels calling.

Yes, unfortunately only a fraction of that grain will remain with me. :smilielol:

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

I understand how you feel on that one. I wish I could keep and use that amount around here a well. Awesome brands of malts you got there though. I love the Best Malz Pils and Wheat, GW 2 Row is awesome too and of course the MO. If that was all your malt I was thinking you must be a big batch brewer since for me I have used 5 bags of my 7 and I brew 5 gallon recipes and very often as well. Ask your brewing friends if they will leave you a bag for your storage troubles :smilielol: Enjoy the grains and brewing!!Mike

#6 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:26 PM

Sweet. There is something about bags of malt that give me a thrill.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:27 AM

I find myself to be the most comfortable when I am surrounded by lots of malt and hops. It is a thrill for sure.

#8 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

Yes, I also would substitute 25 bags of malt for the midgets in my happy place.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Yes, I also would substitute 25 bags of malt for the midgets in my happy place.

Or, just add them. No need to get rid of the midgets.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

I just finished breaking up the sacks that we're splitting. Good god, I forgot how much I love the smell of fresh grain in the air. It brings me back to the days working in the homebrew shop.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Awesome JK, That is sweet. Heck just seeing that pic made me salivate. I hope my brewclub will wanna do a bulk grain buy soon. I am ready to stock up again on some more grains as well. Its a sweet smell those grains I tell ya. I think I made one heck of a fine Kolsch using Best Malz Pils, we will see when it gets on tap.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

Awesome JK, That is sweet. Heck just seeing that pic made me salivate. I hope my brewclub will wanna do a bulk grain buy soon. I am ready to stock up again on some more grains as well. Its a sweet smell those grains I tell ya. I think I made one heck of a fine Kolsch using Best Malz Pils, we will see when it gets on tap.

Sweet, sweet grains :)

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

BTW - I'm all ready for these grains now...[mod edit - image removed]

#14 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

I'm sure you know this but:1) find a a drill or be ready to sweat2) I hope that's not your milling location

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:06 AM

I'm sure you know this but:1) find a a drill or be ready to sweat2) I hope that's not your milling location

I was thinking of just seeing how hard it was but I have a cordless drill I can use when my arm gets tired. I was thinking I'd probably mill out on the deck when weather permits - otherwise I'm not sure...

#16 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

It's not impossible, just a work out. I eventually bought a corded drill largely for this purpose.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

It's not impossible, just a work out. I eventually bought a corded drill largely for this purpose.

What's wrong with the cordless? I have a pretty beefy (aka heavy) makita cordless.

#18 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

Probably nothing, I had an old B&D cordless that got to the point when neither battery would hold enough charge to grind a batch (and then any charge at all). It worked fine for a year. I doubt that using it for grinding was its demise.

#19 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

I have the BC and I have hand crushed my grain bills for almost a year. I have always kept it at factory setting for the gap too. I was having an efficiency of around 75%. The last three beers I have brewed I have crushed the grain bill once by hand followed by a fast run through again with the cordless drill. Efficiency shot up to around 80=82%. If you use the drill its great you just put it in and pull the trigger. It can't get any easier than that.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

I have the BC and I have hand crushed my grain bills for almost a year. I have always kept it at factory setting for the gap too. I was having an efficiency of around 75%. The last three beers I have brewed I have crushed the grain bill once by hand followed by a fast run through again with the cordless drill. Efficiency shot up to around 80=82%. If you use the drill its great you just put it in and pull the trigger. It can't get any easier than that.

Do you think the efficiency gain was due to the double run through the mill or the just the drill alone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users