Photo
- - - - -

What scale do you guys use for weighing grains?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

I already have a pretty cheapo scale for weighing things up to a pound that I use for hops and DME (for starters).What should I look for for weighing out grain? You get bonus points if it's sensitive enough to weigh out small amounts as well and replace the previously mentioned cheapo scale. I make 5 gallon batches so it'd be pretty rare (possibly never) for me to use more than 15lbs of any one ingredient.

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:09 AM

I've been using this scale a couple years back and have not had any problems. It's the Ultraship, Ultra 55. Up to 55 pounds measured in oz, lb, kg, lb:oz, and g.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:17 AM

I've been using this scale a couple years back and have not had any problems. It's the Ultraship, Ultra 55. Up to 55 pounds measured in oz, lb, kg, lb:oz, and g.

Is this good for smaller amounts as well or is that 0.1oz being a little optimistic :facepalm:

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

I can't remember what the brand scale I used and not at home to look but I just went to Walmart and bought a digital kitchen scale. All my batches are 5 gallons for the most part. I use the scale to measure hops it will measure 1/8th of an ounce and up and I measure all of my grains as well. It holds 2lbs in hopper at a time for grains so I just weight out 5 times for 10lbs and so on. Mine was around $20 bucks and I didn't have any in mind when I went 8 months ago. It has worked great. I have heard the scale listed below and ones from this vendor are of good quality as well. Just a suggestion if you wanna buy online.Scales

#5 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

I have something like this one..EscaliCan usually be found at stores like Target or Walmart. When I bought mine, the store was out of that particular model and I went with a higher priced model. Postal scales also are a good choice. Check around on EBAY for one.

#6 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

Is this good for smaller amounts as well or is that 0.1oz being a little optimistic :facepalm:

I also have an Ultraship-55. It works great. As far as I can tell, the 0.1 oz is accurate. I also use it to weigh hops and postage. It looks like prices may have gone up a bit since I bought mine a couple of years ago. I think mine was a little under $30 shipping included.Edit: Just did a search for "Ultraship" and it looks like you can still get them for <$30 shipping included. I see one at $27.89.

Edited by stangbat, 20 May 2009 - 06:45 AM.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

I have something like this one..EscaliCan usually be found at stores like Target or Walmart. When I bought mine, the store was out of that particular model and I went with a higher priced model. Postal scales also are a good choice. Check around on EBAY for one.

I have one similar to this... usually can find it at an off-price retailer like Ross (affiliation), TJ Maxx (boo) or Marshalls (boo). Just kidding... if you can find it at one of these retailers it will be 30% to 70% off other places. I think I got mine for like $8.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

I wouldn't feel comfortable weighing out fractions of an ounce on a scale with a 55+ pound capacity. That type of scale just won't be accurate at those levels, unless it's a really expensive scale.I have a scale I scavenged out of a old print shop that went out of business. It weighs up to 120lbs at 0.01 lb. intervals. I've never seen the scale I have anywhere else. I;ve looked around, but I think it's from a defunct manufacturer. The mfg is 'Good Scale'. Try to google search that one and come up with anything useful. :facepalm:

Edited by JKoravos, 20 May 2009 - 08:29 AM.

#9 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

I purchased a mid priced postal scale off Ebay a while back (This one). It works great but has a really annoying locking feature that locks the scale for 10 seconds if the weight hasn't changed. Makes it really hard to measure out those last few ounces of grain. Anyone know if there's a way to disable that "feature"?

#10 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

I wouldn't feel comfortable weighing out fractions of an ounce on a scale with a 55+ pound capacity. That type of scale just won't be accurate at those levels, unless it's a really expensive scale.I have a scale I scavenged out of a old print shop that went out of business. It weighs up to 120lbs at 0.01 lb. intervals. I've never seen the scale I have anywhere else. I;ve looked around, but I think it's from a defunct manufacturer. The mfg is 'Good Scale'. Try to google search that one and come up with anything useful. :facepalm:

I have a jeweler's scale that I use for accurate weights such as salts for water adjustments. I've cross checked the Ultraship to it and the Ultraship is plenty accurate for stuff like hops and postage. But as you state, if you need to be more precise and accurate such as when measuring salts, you need a lower capacity scale than your grain scale no matter what.

Edited by stangbat, 20 May 2009 - 09:51 AM.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

I have a 55# postal scale that I got off eBay last year. I recently got a larger scale so Zymo, if you want the scale I have I will let you have it. I can bring it when we pick up the grain. This one does have the "Hold" feature that MBP mentioned. But it is free.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

I have a 55# postal scale that I got off eBay last year. I recently got a larger scale so Zymo, if you want the scale I have I will let you have it. I can bring it when we pick up the grain. This one does have the "Hold" feature that MBP mentioned. But it is free.

If you don't want it I'll certainly take it off your hands. I'll be meeting meeting up on Monday to get my grains so maybe if Jason is willing to haul one more thing this could work :facepalm:THANKS! :rolleyes:

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

If you don't want it I'll certainly take it off your hands. I'll be meeting meeting up on Monday to get my grains so maybe if Jason is willing to haul one more thing this could work :facepalm:THANKS! :rolleyes:

I will get it to you one way or another. It gets it out of my house and makes my wife happy!

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

I'll provide transport of the scale...for a fee. :facepalm:

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

I'll provide transport of the scale...for a fee. :facepalm:

is everlasting gratitude payment enough? the feeling of a good deed done? :rolleyes:

#16 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

I like the Escali brand, seems to last. So I upgraded from the standard one that most homebrew shops sell (gave it to a friend) and picked up these two models. For lesser weights I use the one with a 600 gram (1.3 pound) capacity, for anything over a pound though I go with the bigger scale. So I generally use the smaller scale for things like hops, salts, PBW, etc. I use the larger scale for things like grains, kegs, fermenters, etc.Looks like the big one is again on a big sale (but only 2 currently left):https://www.amazon.c...duct/B000CH9OHQAnd another nice discount currently on the smaller scale:https://www.amazon.c...duct/B000LPLI6YNote, it does not require the power adapter supplied, works with batteries as does the big one.

Edited by chuck_d, 20 May 2009 - 01:16 PM.

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

I just bought one of these to weigh my baby. I think I am going to make this a dual purpose scale! :facepalm:

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

I just bought one of these to weigh my baby. I think I am going to make this a dual purpose scale! :facepalm:

:rolleyes:Careful with those diapers!!!

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

:facepalm:Careful with those diapers!!!

:rolleyes:

#20 CaptRon

CaptRon