77 replies to this topic

#1 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

I've done all kinds of different ways...1 - Keep going until I reach my total gravity2 - Fill HLT with only enough sparge water and just let it go. When MLT is dry, I'm done.3 - "Pulse" sparge where I let the MLT almost drain, then give it more sparge water4 - Measure in the kettle with stick, hashes5 - Time. I set the sparge rate to 1 pt/minute and know how many minutes to go #5 is my latest. My efficiency is pretty close most the time so I don't bother really taking gravity readings. If I'm off, it's only a little bit. Plus this is just a spot to make errors. Over the years I figured I'm more likely to error on a measurement than mess up efficiency.I'm not too big of a fan of letting the MLT run dry. I feel I had some astringency there, and think I get better results going slow and keeping the mash floating. It seems a bit reasonable, where if the mash keeps floating you're less likely to suck "stuff" from it. That may also increase channeling.My old way was the measuring stick in the kettle. Except it gets a little tricky when I use a false bottom. Sometimes I use a FB, sometimes I don't, depending on hops. Plus if I have the chiller in there that displaces more. Then on top of that, the volume of course increase as the temp increases. #5 seems pretty simple. All I do is take a measuring cup and just get my flow right then walk away. Today I wanted 7.5 gallons preboil, which is 60 minutes. I checked with my measuring stick and it's about right on best I can tell.

#2 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

i just go until i have my boil volume in the kettle

#3 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

method #4on my system i know where i need to be in order to stop sparging and drain the MLT. so when the MLT is drained i am up to volume and it just so happens i am at or above target og. rarely am i under target. i do not measure the strike water. i go for consistency of mash. i do not measure the sparge water either. after doing som many brews on my system - i jut know where i'm suposed to be and it all seems to work out.

#4 reDough

reDough

Comptroller of Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

This right cheer

#5 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

+1, but I do tend to monitor the gravity so if I get too low, I'll stop prior to reaching my intended volume. This hardly ever happens though. Actually, I don't think it has ever happened.

#6 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10780 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

First off.... 2319!!!!!uno!!!!!!one!!111!!!!!!Secon..I sparge til I get to kettle volume. I adjust my spagre water to about 5.9 and don't check after that.

#7 reDough

reDough

Comptroller of Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

+1, but I do tend to monitor the gravity so if I get too low, I'll stop prior to reaching my intended volume. This hardly ever happens though. Actually, I don't think it has ever happened.

Ill check my gravity after my kettle is full just to see if it is high enough to either add to the kettle after I boil some off or maybe even be able to brew a smaller beer right after the first. I tend to not over plan and calculate my brew sessions, it takes away from what I love about brewing, the primal urge to tempt nature.

#8 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42029 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

Ill check my gravity after my kettle is full just to see if it is high enough to either add to the kettle after I boil some off or maybe even be able to brew a smaller beer right after the first. I tend to not over plan and calculate my brew sessions, it takes away from what I love about brewing, the primal urge to tempt nature.

This, except I batch sparge for now...

#9 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

i taste it periodically during sparge. if it's ever where i don't sense any sweetness, i stop.

#10 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, I know wrong forum. Reported it right after I posted.

Edited by dagomike, 29 March 2009 - 10:54 AM.

#11 reDough

reDough

Comptroller of Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

*just shakes head as says....damn*Jeez. lol

#12 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

I do this too. I'll check my runoff gravity every so often just to make sure I'm not getting in trouble, but it has never been a problem. I usually get pretty close to my target preboil gravity but I don't sweat it if I miss it.

#13 DaKine

DaKine

a compt roller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationPuna

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

add my vote cheer.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

Once my saccharification rest is done I set the run-off flow into the kettle. I go by experience here, I set the flow to get a total sparge time of 45-60 minutes. I usually adjust during the sparge if I think it's going too fast or too slow. Once I get the flow where I want it I add some sparge water, maybe about a gallon. Once the level gets back to the point where it's just above the grain I add another shot of sparge water. When the kettle is full, I'm done.I'd like to refine the process more (like every other part of my process), but just haven't got around to it. Eventually, I'll set it up on a float and solenoid.

#15 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

I do this too. I'll check my runoff gravity every so often just to make sure I'm not getting in trouble, but it has never been a problem. I usually get pretty close to my target preboil gravity but I don't sweat it if I miss it.

Ditto, heat a little more sparge water than i think i will need. If some sparge water stays in the tun not used, so what. I got what i want.

#16 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

This, except I batch sparge for now...

(i)BrewBasser

#17 DaKine

DaKine

a compt roller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationPuna

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

(i)BrewBasser

hey, I'm a batcher too. Never flied, too complicated, although i do own a march pump. never got around to the RIMS/HERMS yet, but got close.

#18 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42029 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

(i)BrewBasser

Edith, stiffle yourself! Now!

#19 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

I usually sparge until I've collected the desired pre-boil volume (measure with a graduated stick). I try to be almost at a boil by the end of the runoff, so I graduated the stick with 200F water.I run off fairly fast, collecting 12.5 gal in about 40 min. I've got it dialed in enough now that I heat just enough sparge water and drain the HLT and leave about 2 gal in the MLT at the end. I check the pH and gravity of the final runnings just for peace of mind, but have never had a problem. I will check the pre-boil gravity to make sure I'm where I want to be, but my effeciency stays pretty stable, so I'm usually right on.I think the real key is to wear no pants.

#20 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

Never flied, too complicated

I've never understood what is so complicated about rinsing water through a bed of grain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users