#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

The Jonagold Cider for this will be pressed in under a week.10.00 gal Fresh Pressed Jonagold Cider 18.00 lbs Mesquite Honey 1.00 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark Syrup (added at 2nd nutrient addition) 1.00 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear Syrup (added at 2nd nutrient addition)2.00 lbs Mission Figs2.00 lbs. Black Currantsyeast - ??? I'll have to go with a red star product so I'm thinking primier cuvee may workcider will be sulphated 24 hrs before pitch. Pectic enzyme will be added 12 hrs before pitchSNAthoughts?

#2 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

What are you guys getting for OGs when you use 9 lbs of honey per 5 gals? I'm a bit gun-shy there, since I made 15 gallons that ended up too sweet. I'm fermenting to dry and then backsweetening to avoid that particular issue.

#3 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

Looks good - but why Red Star only? No Lalvin?

I will not have time to get to the good lhbs and will have to go to the crappy kit wine shop for yeast - they only carry red star

#4 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Well, I usually get around what the spreadsheet says: 9lbs honey in 5gals cider = 1.094. A lot of times my honey is a bit sweeter so I get higher OGs. And it depends on your cider SG.

Pretty much this. The recipe above comes to 1.105 before the fruit addition. Without the Candi syrup I get 1.098

#5 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

How do you guys calculate the gravity added by dried fruit? Do you just wing it, or have you found a way to calculate it out?

#6 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:24 AM

Wing it. I'm pretty sure that's what screwed up my OG calculation.

#7 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

Wing it. I'm pretty sure that's what screwed up my OG calculation.

That's where my line of thinking was going. I upped the fruit compared to ken's recipe and I'm thinking this may cause some issues since dried fruit has a high percentage of sugar. if I pitch the cuvee strain it should handle up to 18% in theory, but that's just theory.

#8 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

Well, the spreadsheet has raisins and dates, but not figs nor currants. Surely the information is out there somewhere to add to the spreadsheet.

I don't use the spreadsheet. I've added all my ingredients to my brewing software and use it to calculate estimated OG. dried currants are 66% sugar by weight, so how would I go about calculating this into a useful number? Should I assume 66 brix (sg 1.329) and plug that into my software?

Edited by EWW, 12 October 2010 - 07:31 AM.

#9 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12960 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

Where are you getting the figs? We have two different types of fig trees in the yard and I don't know the type of either. One produces figs larger than the other. If you aren't quick the birds will beat you to the punch so we give some away to the neighbor and she in turn brings us jam. Since they come ripe over the course of a few months can they be frozen or preserved in some way?

Edited by Specks, 12 October 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#10 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

No, that's not right. Using the spreadsheet and NutritionData.com, I get:SG of currants (dried, zante) as 2.313 with a liquid contribution of 0.023 gal/poundSG of figs (dried, uncooked) as 1.598 with a liquid contribution of 0.036 gal/poundUsing that and assuming Candi Sugar is 1.036 with 1 pound being about 0.09 gallons (1.36 cups), I get an OG of about 1.102.

Thanks! I'll plug those numbers in and see what I get.

#11 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

Where are you getting the figs? We have two different types of fig trees in the yard and I don't know the type of either. One produces figs larger than the other. If you aren't quick the birds will beat you to the punch so we give some away to the neighbor and she in turn brings us jam. Since they come ripe over the course of a few months can they be frozen or preserved in some way?

I get mine dried from trader joes, but I don't see why you couldn't freeze them till you're ready for them

#12 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

I get mine dried from trader joes, but I don't see why you couldn't freeze them till you're ready for them

So I was in a rush at TJ's when I got the figs and I just took a look at them and they have k-sorbate in them. Bummer. I know sorbate kills yeast so I wondering if there is anyway to unsorbate these. Basically I wondering if I can I use these or if I need to find a new source?

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Its hard to find things like dried fruit without some sort of preservative. You will dilute the concentration below the debilitating dosage with your posted recipe.

Thanks again....you're earning those bottles.

#14 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

I made the epic bus trip up to the u district after work tonight (still winding my way back to Tacoma) to pick up some D47 & 71B. I figured it was worth the time for the finished product. I know they would both work well in this, but I'm leaning toward 71B for some unknown reason. Anyone have any thoughts on which yeast would work better for this?

#15 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

According to page 7 of This jonagolds are relatively low in malic acid.

#16 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:20 AM

I agree with Guest - 71B is awesome in just about everything, but I've been very pleased with how D47 works in cysers.

#17 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

Great reference article. You're using all Jonagold? I think D47 might be good here, sometimes you want that apple tartness. But remember, once you ferment out the sweetness of the apples, you are left with the tart malic bite. I would suggest using D47, seeing if you like the tartness and if you don't, either backsweeten to rebalance or add malo-lactic cultures to eat that malic.

Yes all jonagold. The guy at the processing facility who is hooking us up said they ferment out really nicely

Edited by EWW, 15 October 2010 - 06:10 AM.

#18 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:21 AM

I think I'll give the D47 a try and save the 71B for some other projects.

Edited by EWW, 17 October 2010 - 07:22 AM.

#19 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

I just pulled a 4oz sample of this....WOW just WOW! Still in the primary. Debating when I should transfer this. Crystal clear, fruits are subtle, but about where I want them. A little alcohol bite, but that will decrease with age. SO GOOD!

#20 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26136 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

I added some double toast American oak to 5 gallons of this about a month ago and the tannins from the oak have really helped to bring out the apple/fruit notes. Still needs more age, but headed in a GREAT direction. In another year or 5 this will be just about perfect. The oak is an 8x.5" square dowel I got some commercial outfit who provides oaks to wine producers to send me for free a few years back (can't remember who).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users