#1 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

a few of you got me curious. where can it be obtained? and how expensive is it?

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Since people started using sodium hydroxide (caustic) in the production of meth it has become harder to find. Some hardware stores still have it, but you'll more then likely have to go to a place that sells soap makng supplies. You should be able to find it for around $3/lb. If need be you can order it online but shipping can be costly.

#3 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29304 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

It is commonly called lye. Scientific names can be sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. I get mine a a soap store as crystals, but you can by liquid at any grocery / hardware store it is drain cleaner ie drano. If you go the drain cleaner read the active ingredient it should be one of the hydroxides it will also have other ingredients to make it a thick liquid (they don't want it watery to get past the clog). If you go the drano route make sure it has the active ingredient the also make "safe" version that have other active ingredients.It is an strong alkaline cleaner so the opposite of an acid based cleaner. You can make it out of wood ash, do a search, no idea why you would want to make it yourself.When you use it be careful I wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

#4 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

some people use it in their pools, so a pool supply store may have it.

#5 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

It is commonly called lye. Scientific names can be sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. I get mine a a soap store as crystals, but you can by liquid at any grocery / hardware store it is drain cleaner ie drano. If you go the drain cleaner read the active ingredient it should be one of the hydroxides it will also have other ingredients to make it a thick liquid (they don't want it watery to get past the clog). If you go the drano route make sure it has the active ingredient the also make "safe" version that have other active ingredients.It is an strong alkaline cleaner so the opposite of an acid based cleaner. You can make it out of wood ash, do a search, no idea why you would want to make it yourself.When you use it be careful I wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

ok.. so if i used this draino.. what kind of solution what i want to make? I assume draino and water?? what ratio would i be looking at for safety vs effectiveness???I figure I could let it soak for an hour or 2, then I'd hook up a vinyl hose to my ball valves that go directly to my floor drain, this way I'm not getting the caustic solution all over my basement floor, then i figured id fill it up a couple more times and drain to make sure it has a good rinse. this sound like a good plan?

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

I personally would not use draino. It has some other gunk in there.

#7 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

yeah, i would stay away from drano as well. find some pure form of sodium hydroxide.

#8 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

yeah, i would stay away from drano as well. find some pure form of sodium hydroxide.

Ok. well if I find some, what kind of ratio should I use how many parts sodium hydroxide to how many parts water? does that soaking and draining plan sound good? or does it sound like I am over-worrying about this chemical?

#9 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

Mix a 3-5% solution with a PH >12

#10 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

Ok. well if I find some, what kind of ratio should I use how many parts sodium hydroxide to how many parts water? does that soaking and draining plan sound good? or does it sound like I am over-worrying about this chemical?

you're definitely not over-worrying about it...make sure you keep it off of you, wear some sort of eye protection, and rinse anything thoroughly that comes into contact with it. if i'm not mistaken, it is the strongest base known.i think a 3-5 oz per gallon of water solution will do the trick. just buy some lye...it should have directions on it.lye = caustic = caustic soda = sodium hydroxide. it's all the same thing.

Edited by chris, 11 October 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#11 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29304 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

I personally would not use draino. It has some other gunk in there.

Ingredients from MSDS/LabelChemical CAS No / Unique ID PercentSodium hydroxide 001310-73-2 <2.0Sodium hypochlorite 007681-52-9 <10Water 007732-18-5 85-95

#12 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

MSDS only show the active ingredients ... My concerns are re: the innert ingredients

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Water is not active. Also, on the SC Johnson MSDS site, they list Sodium Silicate in there as well. Sodium Silicate is inactive.

I thought draino was blueish - what makes it blue? That's not on the MSDS sheet

#14 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

Definitely protect your eyes.

#15 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

Did you try the Oxy-Stuff and BKF? Both are very affordable and very effective in my experience and others here.I would try that before messing around with shit that you need rubber gloves and eye goggles. :huh:

#16 klickcue

klickcue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

Important SAFETY NOTE:Add ACIDs and CAUSTICs to water. Do it the other way around and it may come up into your face and it will HOT!

#17 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29304 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

I thought draino was blueish - what makes it blue? That's not on the MSDS sheet

I don't know I buy lye in crystals.I remeber drano being a thicker than water liquid so it coats to the clog don't know what that would be. I pointed out the drano option in part to show that he has probably worked with in in the past.

#18 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

I bought my lye crystals at Ace Hardware. I don't remember the price, but I don't think it was that expensive. I haven't had to use it yet, but to echo others, you need to be careful with the stuff: goggles and gloves are mandatory. It is a great cleaner, just respect it, and it will work well for you.I would also recommend an acid rinse of some sort after you are finished cleaning. I think star san should suffice if you have that around.

#19 AiredAle

AiredAle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

For what it's worth, I am a chemist, and familiar with handling hazardous materials. Sodium hydroxide/lye etc is one of the worst of the commonly used chemicals. It is the strongest commonly avialable base, it exotherms (heats up) when dissolved in water, it will give you a nasty burn, if you are unfortunate enough to get it on your skin, or worse in you eyes. Then it is very hard to rinse off of skin/out of eyes.I would recommend against using it. I won't use it in beermaking due to its hazards. I use the liquid potassium hydroxide solution sold as B-L-C at the LHBS. It is already dissolved, saving one step, and it is pretty strong stuff but not as aggressive as sodium hydroxide. It will do pretty much anything NaOH will at a slightly reduced hazard. As others have said, add it to water not water to it to manage the heat of solution.I too strongly recommend good rubber gloves and safety glasses when you work with any of these strong bases.

#20 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

ok.. so if i used this draino.. what kind of solution what i want to make? I assume draino and water?? what ratio would i be looking at for safety vs effectiveness???I figure I could let it soak for an hour or 2, then I'd hook up a vinyl hose to my ball valves that go directly to my floor drain, this way I'm not getting the caustic solution all over my basement floor, then i figured id fill it up a couple more times and drain to make sure it has a good rinse. this sound like a good plan?

the environmentalist gadfly in me says that dumping a high pH solution into your municipal water system would be highly irresponsible. In many areas, Sodium Hydroxide is clasified as an RCRA hazardous waste and it is illegal to dump in the sewer. I know that its very possible to use this chemical safely and responsibly, but I'm wondering why you want to. The big virtue of stainless steel is how easy it is to clean, you shouldn't need anything more than oxygen bleach and elbow grease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users