34 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Then I'm not really sure what you're asking. Donations of time? Someone drinks your beer, but in turn commits to helping you reshingle your roof?Not a bad idea, actually. :rolf:

Time is money :covreyes:

#22 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

Also, for the people that have others bringing food items I'll all for that. In this case though it's an after dinner kind of thing so there really won't be that much food about. I'll provide some snacks but that will be about it unless someone brings stuff unsolicited.

#23 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

round here and as is tradition with our club - no matter who's house we are at we always leave the tips in the bathroom. you'll walk in and see 1$ and 5$ tucked into the mirror and under stuff and all over the place. yea kinda strange but that's how we roll

#24 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

round here and as is tradition with our club - no matter who's house we are at we always leave the tips in the bathroom. you'll walk in and see 1$ and 5$ tucked into the mirror and under stuff and all over the place. yea kinda strange but that's how we roll

That is AWESOME for those of us with camel bladders. :rolf:

#25 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

As is evident here, we all have very different opinions, and are different walks of life.I am at the point where I am producing way more than I can drink reasonably. I brew because I like to brew. I know that this is an expensive hobby. The way I see it, if you want to conserve your beer, then don't share it.My personal view on life is everything balances out at the end in some way. I may give a lot of people free beer, but I am sure they do things for me without me realizing it, and I also develop deeper relationships. It could also be one of those things, where they do something for someone else, and someone random does something nice for me.I tend to do everything to the extreme, and give away a lot of 'stuff'. For example, I am growing 10 blueberry bushes, 9 seedless grapevines, an 8x8 plot of strawberries, many tomatoes and bell peppers, and 25 hop rhizomes (plus many other fruit trees). In 3 years or so when these plants become mature and start bearing fruit to their full potential, I will have more produce (and hops!) than I will know what to do with. I will have fruit picking gatherings, and give away a lot of the fruit (and hops). I enjoy that aspect of making things and growing things. But again, this is just me.I am also brewing for my upcoming wedding, and will hopefully have 17 faucets flowing for it, all with libations I've made (beer, wine, mead, cider).

#26 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

When you throw a party, do you ask for "donations" for the hamburgers or hot dogs (or whatever) that you serve? I don't know of anyone that does, and putting out a tip or donations jar isn't really any different from that. Personally, I'd be cheesed off if someone invited me to their house and then asked me to donate to their kitty jar for anything - food, drink, whatever.On the other hand, if you were to ask folks to bring something with them for everyone to share, like a covered dish or chips or soda? I have no problem with that at all. But putting out a tip jar isn't far removed from asking for an admission price.

No, I don't ask for "donations" on the wings and bbq I get from Dino for the annual Superbowl party I throw. People just come over and say, how much should I throw in? Instead of "donations" what people normally bring over to someone's house when it's time drink is a six pack of whatever they like. Obviously that's not worthwhile when coming over to drink off the taps. A tip jar in place of showing up with a sixer is not inappropriate, especially if people are taking growlers home with them instead of hitting the store for their own beer at home. It also saves them the hassle of having to hit a bodega on the way over to pick up beer.

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:24 AM

No, I don't ask for "donations" on the wings and bbq I get from Dino for the annual Superbowl party I throw. People just come over and say, how much should I throw in? Instead of "donations" what people normally bring over to someone's house when it's time drink is a six pack of whatever they like. Obviously that's not worthwhile when coming over to drink off the taps. A tip jar in place of showing up with a sixer is not inappropriate, especially if people are taking growlers home with them instead of hitting the store for their own beer at home. It also saves them the hassle of having to hit a bodega on the way over to pick up beer.

This is another good point. Normally if I just had 1 or 2 beers available I'd tell people to bring a 6er of what they like and usually they do so in this case it all works out b/c invariably I end up with about as much store bought beer in my fridge as was emptied from my kegs. This time around there will be 4 beers available so I didn't tell anyone to bring anything. Note that most of these people never have me over to their place and let me load up on beer for various reasons. For the most part when I get together with friends we are going out to a bar and unless it's my birthday no one is buying me drinks :rolf:

#28 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:16 AM

IMO if you're having guests over, that's what they are, guests. When folks come over and drink all my beer it gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling that I've made something that they've enjoyed. The same goes for whatever comes out of the smoker or off the grill. When done correctly brewing and BBQ takes both time and money (usually lots of both) and the "payment" is happy friends. These are hobbies that I've chosen, not for what they cost, but for my pleasure and enjoyment. BTW, I've been unemployed for 4 months and I have no idea when that might change; no tip jar at my place.Beach :rolf:

#29 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:38 AM

We have a big crawfish boil every year. People used to always ask what they could bring to contribute. We have all the food and drinks well covered on our own, so we started telling them that if they wanted to bring something that we would collect canned food for a local food bank. This has been very successful and we now include it in our invitations.

#30 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:24 AM

I am strongly in the if you invite friends over for a party, then they are guests and should not be asked to tip. We used to throw two parties a year, a spring crawfish boil and a Christmas party. We would easily spend over $1000 on each of them, but whenever people asked to donate we told them no. If we couldn't afford to host the party, then we just shouldn't host it. If the people that are coming aren't people who will, on their own, reciprocate in some way down the road, then don't invite them if it bothers you that much.

#31 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

I see where you are coming from with the tip jar but I'm not sure if it really belongs at a party. If it's a large party with many people you don't even know then maybe but if they're friends then they might take it the wrong way.

#32 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2657 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

I've had friends leave 10 or 20 bucks on top of the kegerator before. It was never solicited, though. I've also asked people to bring a dish, but not that often. We don't entertain that much, though, so it doesn't really hurt us to cover stuff when we do.

#33 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14896 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

I think the line is in this post.If I'm throwing a party, then I don't ask for anything (unless I'm doing it pot luck, of course). If someone's taking a growler or 6-pack of bottled stuff home, then that starts to cross from being a host to being a provider. I have a buddy who will help me pay for ingredients, and I'll give him a 12-pack. If you're taking that much home, then you should offer to pay.

#34 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

I think the line is in this post.If I'm throwing a party, then I don't ask for anything (unless I'm doing it pot luck, of course). If someone's taking a growler or 6-pack of bottled stuff home, then that starts to cross from being a host to being a provider. I have a buddy who will help me pay for ingredients, and I'll give him a 12-pack. If you're taking that much home, then you should offer to pay.

I'll have to let my brother know b/c that guy is always showing up with growlers and then making a quit get-a-way. I'll let it slide since he bought a lot of my initial equipment as gifts :)

#35 mista

mista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

I'm pretty much the beer supplier at home or at friends' get togethers. On the flip side, my regular crew are really cool; when we're at a bar, my money's usually no good.If they were freeloaders I probably wouldn't be so quick to supply them with homebrew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users