34 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:36 AM

I've got a medium sized gathering coming up at my place and I'm considering putting out a "tip jar" to help support future brewing (I'll have 4 beers available for this gathering provided one of the kegs gets kicked). Has anyone done this? I know this has been discussed in the past on the "other" forum but I'm just curious what people think now.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:02 AM

I never read or saw any discussions about this topic at the other place but here is my opinions about itI try and share my beer with as many people as I can find or have found interest from. I brew way more than I could ever drink. 4 on tap, 6 in secondary, three fermenting away. I have thrown parties and had others come over fill growlers, jugs and whatever else. I have never asked for any donations. I guess you could do it and see how it goes. I have to say of course that anyone that would contribute to my brewing fund is always more than welcome. Me personally I have never tried it but you could and then after a party or get together see if anyone contributed. I am not the one to judge but just wondering if its tacky to push the donation idea or ask. One other idea I have is this. What about inviting over some of your friends or those that you share your beer with for when you brew. Ask them to chip in for ingredients and you can share a gallon or two or half with them, whatever you decide. Anyways thats my $0.02.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:07 AM

I never read or saw any discussions about this topic at the other place but here is my opinions about itI try and share my beer with as many people as I can find or have found interest from. I brew way more than I could ever drink. 4 on tap, 6 in secondary, three fermenting away. I have thrown parties and had others come over fill growlers, jugs and whatever else. I have never asked for any donations. I guess you could do it and see how it goes. I have to say of course that anyone that would contribute to my brewing fund is always more than welcome. Me personally I have never tried it but you could and then after a party or get together see if anyone contributed. I am not the one to judge but just wondering if its tacky to push the donation idea or ask. One other idea I have is this. What about inviting over some of your friends or those that you share your beer with for when you brew. Ask them to chip in for ingredients and you can share a gallon or two or half with them, whatever you decide. Anyways thats my $0.02.

A little brew on site action? Not a bad idea. Unfortunately I find most people don't have the patience to make it through a brew day and actually be heavily involved. I likely wouldn't say anything about the tip jar, I'd just leave it out and people could contribute if so inclined. It's one of those things that I wouldn't take offense to if I were the guest since I am getting some hand crafted product essentially for nothing. Not everyone is like me though so I can see where you are coming from.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:11 AM

Zym,I see what you are saying and I am sure you put out a good product. I think it would be worth a try and be silent though. In my experience some have tasted my beer and been like wow you made this? I said yes I did and I get this feeling like they think you are a magician since they have no idea how you made it. Its a good feeling. You know though if you did put it out and someone asked you could say its just to assist in continueing to provide a quality product. Hops and malt aren't cheap these days.

#5 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

I say go ahead and put out a tip jar. Just be subtle about it.I have had people offer to pay me to make beer for them. I always tell them "no, it is illegal" and offer to show them how it is done if they want to split a batch. Only two people have taken me up on that offer. I find that most folks are more attached to their time and energy than they are to their money.

#6 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:02 AM

I think Monster Mash off the other board would take "Ice Donations" when at larger events where he supplied the beer for many non-brewers.Mashman

#7 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

When you throw a party, do you ask for "donations" for the hamburgers or hot dogs (or whatever) that you serve? I don't know of anyone that does, and putting out a tip or donations jar isn't really any different from that. Personally, I'd be cheesed off if someone invited me to their house and then asked me to donate to their kitty jar for anything - food, drink, whatever.On the other hand, if you were to ask folks to bring something with them for everyone to share, like a covered dish or chips or soda? I have no problem with that at all. But putting out a tip jar isn't far removed from asking for an admission price.

#8 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42075 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

On the other hand, if you were to ask folks to bring something with them for everyone to share, like a covered dish or chips or soda? I have no problem with that at all. But putting out a tip jar isn't far removed from asking for an admission price.

This is what I do. I usually provide a keg of beer and some kind of meat and ask people to bring covered dishes and what not when I throw a party or BBQ.I do have a tip jar in my bar but it's mostly a joke. There is a five dollar bill in it that I put there. There have been tip in the jar but never monetary. A buddy of mines wife put her underwear in it once...LOL Its just a joke jar...

#9 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13023 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

If it's a one time gathering, I'd probably ask them to bring side dishes or drinks. If this gathering is something you hosted on a monthly basis then I would possibly consider the tip jar, especially if people were heavily consuming it.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

When you throw a party, do you ask for "donations" for the hamburgers or hot dogs (or whatever) that you serve? I don't know of anyone that does, and putting out a tip or donations jar isn't really any different from that. Personally, I'd be cheesed off if someone invited me to their house and then asked me to donate to their kitty jar for anything - food, drink, whatever.On the other hand, if you were to ask folks to bring something with them for everyone to share, like a covered dish or chips or soda? I have no problem with that at all. But putting out a tip jar isn't far removed from asking for an admission price.

I don't think asking for homebrew donations is equivalent to asking for donations for burgers and dogs. Homebrewing takes a lot of effort, time, capital expense, knowledge, etc. I wouldn;t feel bad about putting out a donation jar, I probably wouldn't push it very hard though.

#11 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

I don't think asking for homebrew donations is equivalent to asking for donations for burgers and dogs. Homebrewing takes a lot of effort, time, capital expense, knowledge, etc. I wouldn;t feel bad about putting out a donation jar, I probably wouldn't push it very hard though.

Huh? You're providing something to eat or drink. That it's homebrew is irrelevant. Let me put it another way. People you invite to your home are *guests*. When hosting guests, it's impolite (to say the least) to ask them for money.

#12 DaKine

DaKine

a compt roller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationPuna

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

round here, the Pig Guy, Dean, hosts the annual Pig Roast. Covered dishes are welcome. I donated my freezerator for the event along with some homebrew. Large event 200 or so people. T shirts are provided at cost, only $$$ transaction. He spends weeks getting his spread ready. Never saw a tip jar.You guys are welcome. July 10 - 12. Camping OK, no hookups. You can shower at my place, or bath in the river.

#13 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

Huh? You're providing something to eat or drink. That it's homebrew is irrelevant. Let me put it another way. People you invite to your home are *guests*. When hosting guests, it's impolite (to say the least) to ask them for money.

For the most part I agree with this sentiment.But I also think that those that do not brew have no appreciation for time and money spent to provide this product. I have brought my beers to picnics and gatherings many, many times. And always offer homebrew when the cookout is at my house. Usually, these are groups of people I work with. I have never asked for a donation. But, these folks have come to expect it, and frankly, they hit my stuff pretty hard (they like it alot I guess). I have reached the point where I am not supplying it anymore. While I am flattered that they think so highly of my efforts, I do not think they appreciate the time/expense involved.We are having our first group cookout in 5 weeks. The folks will be disappointed that homebrew will not be on the menu.

#14 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Put me on the 'no donations' from my guests lists. But if you're really needing some dough to keep the brew flowing, maybe consider starting a "club" with membership dues.

#15 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

If it was me, I would only invite the number of people to a party that I could afford to serve. It would probably be less off-putting to the party guests if they were asked to pitch it in a beer contribution at the time of the invitation, rather than being hinted at for a contribution after they have shown up. That's just my take on it. Your friends might be totally understanding, and not put off at all.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'm saying it is relevant. A lot more goes into making homebrew than grilling up burgers and dogs. That makes it different.I'm not saying I'd do it, I just don't think it's a big deal.

#17 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

I actually have had an "open bar" (aka the garage) for quite some time. I've got great neighbors and each has donated something to the effort over the past year (fridge, banjo burner, CO2, etc). One neighbor ran the numbers and felt bad about not contributing. He made-up a tip jar himself and put $10 in it. We've kept it out since, and not a penny more has been added by anyone! I did see a guy keep eying it one night and noticed that he stopped drinking since he hadn't been tipping. Thus, I think the tip jar is a good deterrent if you don't want them to drink your stuff- otherwise, see if one of your buddies would be willing to start the collection for you and maybe you'll have more luck than me.

#18 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

I'm saying it is relevant. A lot more goes into making homebrew than grilling up burgers and dogs. That makes it different

Most people I know don't know or care. All they care about is whether it tastes better than that bitchin' Coors Lite or Amber Bock they've sold themselves on.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

This isn't a matter of expense really, it's just a matter of that we all put a lot of time into this. I've given away plenty of free homebrew.edit: much like last time around this is generating a lot of controversy. I think I was on the no donations side before but I was on the edge.

#20 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

This isn't a matter of expense really, it's just a matter of that we all put a lot of time into this. I've given away plenty of free homebrew.

Then I'm not really sure what you're asking. Donations of time? Someone drinks your beer, but in turn commits to helping you reshingle your roof?Not a bad idea, actually. :rolf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users