61 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

What can I sub for flaked corn or what can I get from a grocery store that will work?   I have a nice slurry of 34/70 sitting in a mason jar and I am looking to brew something that can sit and "condition" for a while since I have lots of beer around.  I just have no desire to order flaked corn seeing I need nothing else.  So, what can I use?

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

Masa harina (corn flour) or corn meal. I might check the ingredients to make sure there isn't anything unsavory in there. Masa Harina is usually corn and lime but not enough lime to taste it. Stay away from anything that has anything extra in it. Check out the Hey DJ thread.

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

Masa harina (corn flour) or corn meal. I might check the ingredients to make sure there isn't anything unsavory in there. Masa Harina is usually corn and lime but not enough lime to taste it. Stay away from anything that has anything extra in it. Check out the Hey DJ thread.

Thanks!

#24 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

I think someone said instant grits could work too, as a sub for flaked corn.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

I know that the one market near me has a dizzying array of corn products... grits, meal, flour, etc. I have a can of something called "Tortilla Crumbs" in my cabinet and I'll use them like breadcrumbs for something like fish tacos, etc. The ingredients say "corn, lime" and that's all. I don't know why "lime" is always listed as an ingredient for these things and even for tortilla chips because you can never taste it. But I would want to be careful of any ingredient that may futz with your mash or pH or that would add a flavor that you wouldn't want.

I'll take this opportunity to mention that anyone who likes to make lagers and hasn't used it should try WL940 Mexican Lager yeast. It has a very distinct character that I really like. It's not really that far off of a German or Czech lager yeast but it has a recognizable something. When I first went down this path with trying to make Victoria, I tasted the real thing in Mexico and took some mental notes about the flavor. When I first used WL940 on a trial run of Victoria in my own brewery, 940 had that same taste. Not sure if 940 is Modelo's yeast or not but now Victoria is available in the US and 940 is available year-round so give it a run. I actually need to go downstairs and see if I have any 940 in my fridge. I don't think I do and if not, it may be time to order some. Cheers.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

What can I sub for flaked corn or what can I get from a grocery store that will work?   I have a nice slurry of 34/70 sitting in a mason jar and I am looking to brew something that can sit and "condition" for a while since I have lots of beer around.  I just have no desire to order flaked corn seeing I need nothing else.  So, what can I use?

as mentioned in the other thread I suspect you could use plain sugar.  if the point is lighter body with no taste impact I'd think it would do the job just as well.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

This is already going to be a light-bodied beer but if one was experienced in using a form of sugar, that would be an option or you could just take out the corn and add another pound of pilsner malt, etc. Does the corn come across in the flavor? Not sure. Does it add some sort of character that wouldn't be there without it? Not sure. Again, I stick to lower levels of corn.. 10-12% is about as high as I go. Cheers.

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

So this beer seemed like it started fermenting IMMEDIATELY. I swear I went down there a couple of hours after pitching and it was already bloop, bloop, bloop... I checked again this morning and it's rocking. This is only a 4.5% beer so I'm thinking that the 50% mark is going to happen TODAY or maybe tomorrow morning. Would it be crazy to take this thing out of the fridge less than 48 hours after pitching if I were following the quick lager method?

With the understanding that you don't really want to check gravity, I'd pull it out tonight; a little longer than 48 hours. Based on what you've written I'd think you hit 50%.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

With the understanding that you don't really want to check gravity, I'd pull it out tonight; a little longer than 48 hours. Based on what you've written I'd think you hit 50%.

I pitched around noon yesterday. So tonight would be more like 36 hours or so. It seems crazy to pull it that quickly but I'm still getting used to this new quick lager method.

#30 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

Remembering that I pulled mine around 48 hours, a big beer, that was down to 10 in the course of a week. Once I hit 10, I dropped her down for a week at 40 degrees. Kegged it yesterday put it in the keezer and will let it rest for another week before I do any more doting :) Blonde Doppel with a heavenly taste. In the keg at 3-weeks.

#31 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

I use Argo corn starch for all corn additions. No glop from flakes and slight corn flavor and body lightness.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

I use Argo corn starch for all corn additions. No glop from flakes and slight corn flavor and body lightness.

So if it was 1# of flaked corn you would just use 1# of corn starch?

#33 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:39 AM

So if it was 1# of flaked corn you would just use 1# of corn starch?

yep

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

Does the corn starch create any runoff issues or does it just disappear? Any other impact on the beer? I would ask about clarity but I know that Chils' beer does not suffer from haze issues.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

yep

Thanks.  I may give that a go then.

#36 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

Does the corn starch create any runoff issues or does it just disappear? Any other impact on the beer? I would ask about clarity but I know that Chils' beer does not suffer from haze issues.

No issues. You are netting the exact same thing you get from any other source which is converted to fermentables. Better runoff due to not having gloppy flaked bulk. It will marshmallow up if you dump it in directly then quickly dissolve. I just mix it with the dry milled grain and and have no problems

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

Cool. That's a thought. And can I assume that whatever is in there (the starch part... which is supposed to thicken things) only gets active when it's boiled? I'm trying to envision what happens with that part of it.

#38 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

I'm thinking the same thing about its thickening properties and why wouldn't that occur in the boil? Is it because it would be too diluted?

#39 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

It's straight starch and is converted to sugar in the mash. No different than the starch in the grain or in flaked.

#40 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

Very cool, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users