#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

What is everybody's process on this? I don't have any DME and don't have time to get some. I bought a few bottles of Malto Gayo tonight and want to make a starter for some Wyeast tomorrow. Just want to know how much to use? With any water or not? Boil or no boil? That kind of stuff.

#2 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

What is everybody's process on this? I don't have any DME and don't have time to get some. I bought a few bottles of Malto Gayo tonight and want to make a starter for some Wyeast tomorrow. Just want to know how much to use? With any water or not? Boil or no boil? That kind of stuff.

one time i just popped my activator (1056) just sanitized the flask and poured 3/4'ish of it in with a cup of distilled water and off it went.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:42 AM

I used Malta Goya a couple of weeks ago to reawaken a yeast cake of mine. I added 3/4 cup Malta to a 1/4 cup boiled and cooled water. I keep this ratio till I reached a liter of volume. It started up fine and my fermenation with my proceeding beer went great too. Malta is like a gravity of 1.064 and by diluting it like I did it was at 1.040 acceptable for a starter.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18084 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:09 AM

Does the Malto Gayo add any flavor to the starter wort? I have a bottle that I bought a while back to try when making a starter. I will be brewing up a blond and wonder if I should just get regular DME for the starter or give this a try. I just do not want to take any off flavors to the beer.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:14 AM

Well if you have not opened the bottle the malta is kinda dark like a porter or stout and if you are going to make a blonde thats pretty light colored. I am not sure on the taste, I didn't taste any effect on my beer but I would be concerned on the color. I say make a starter let it ferment out completely then chill decant the spent Malta and pitch the yeast cake then you won't have flavor or color additions from the the Malta.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64192 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

5 posts in and no jokes about the thread title? What exactly is going on here?

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

I was thinking the same thing... I initially thought it was a type-o, but then he was too persistent about it. He must have something for those guys living on that island in the Mediterranean Sea! {hears Harry Belafonte singing "Gay-O.... Gaaaay-O... daylight come and me wanna go Ho Ome!}

#8 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28231 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

I just used it for the first time last time I brewed. I just sanatized a 1/2 gallon jug, dumped it in..then dumped my yeast on top of that. Simple.MB

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64192 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

Are you guys talking about the stuff in the rainbow labeled bottle?

Edited by JKoravos, 13 May 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54516 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

Now I'm cracking up because I was thinking the same thing too. Hey-o! It's Gay-o!Dudes... It's MALTA GOYA not MALTO GAYO. :covreyes:

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

What is this Gayo stuff

#12 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

I got it one time (goya fellas not the other) and maybe it was the "flavor" I got but it was quite dark. Like porter color. I had mediocre results. I didnt do it again and ended up pouring out the rest of the 6-pack months later, but it was somewhat successful.

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49873 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

I never have had any problems just pouring a bottle or 2 into a growler and throwing the yeast in. As stated by others, my only concern ever has been color. Overall, a half gallon starter in 10 gallons doesn't darken it that much, but still... You can always decant.

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

What is this Gayo stuff

I was actually serious....what is this GOYA stuff? Is it like Malt extract for bakers or something?

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64192 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

It's a malt based soda. https://en.wikipedia...ta_(soft_drink)

#16 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

Now I'm cracking up because I was thinking the same thing too. Hey-o! It's Gay-o!Dudes... It's MALTA GOYA not MALTO GAYO. :covreyes:

Oh whatever, So I miss spelled it. I thought something was wrong when I was typing it but didn't feel like going to go look at the bottle.Anyway made the starter tonight with 3/4 bottle and some water, going along good. Thanks

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54516 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Oh whatever, So I miss spelled it. I thought something was wrong when I was typing it but didn't feel like going to go look at the bottle.Anyway made the starter tonight with 3/4 bottle and some water, going along good. Thanks

Just bustin' yo balls, bro. The MG should work well for the starter. Cheers.

#18 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11744 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, decant for light beers, otherwise you are golden. I shake it up a few times in the flask before oxygenating to get rid of some of the carbonation.

#19 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

Good deal Matt. That sounds good. Did you use it to make a full starter or just a small one? I am just curious if anyone has used Malta and made like a 2L or 3L starter for a beer.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68768 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

Good deal Matt. That sounds good. Did you use it to make a full starter or just a small one? I am just curious if anyone has used Malta and made like a 2L or 3L starter for a beer.

I did a 1.5 L for a stout last year with MG. I think I used 3 bottles and 1 bottle of water.Worked well for me. Though a bit spendy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users