#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

I have 6 pin lock kegs that I have been sitting on for a while not and just got around to taking them apart for a thorough once (or twice) over. A couple of them have some rust in them. Is there any way to get rid of it or are these kegs better suited for other uses?

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

If you can scrub them with Barkeeper's Friend, it will remove the rust and repassivate the SS. If it's inside, though, that might be difficult.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

I have 6 pin lock kegs that I have been sitting on for a while not and just got around to taking them apart for a thorough once (or twice) over. A couple of them have some rust in them. Is there any way to get rid of it or are these kegs better suited for other uses?

Odd that they are rusting. I think that means that someone probably used bleach or something in it that ate away at the Stainless - or something like that. If it is just a little bit and you can reach it, i would think that you could get to it with some Barkeepers Friend which should restore it.I'm sure someone around here would know better though.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

If you can scrub them with Barkeeper's Friend, it will remove the rust and repassivate the SS. If it's inside, though, that might be difficult.

Odd that they are rusting. I think that means that someone probably used bleach or something in it that ate away at the Stainless - or something like that. If it is just a little bit and you can reach it, i would think that you could get to it with some Barkeepers Friend which should restore it.I'm sure someone around here would know better though.

guys, is there a poor man's solution to this problem? I don't keep BKF around the house (just oxiclean, TSP, star san, and PBW).

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

guys, is there a poor man's solution to this problem? I don't keep BKF around the house (just oxiclean, TSP, star san, and PBW).

BKF is pretty cheap. I'd send you some but I think it would cost more in shipping than it would be to just buy some. :) :smilielol:

#6 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

It might just be dried soda.

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48040 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

You need BKF because it has oxalic acid, that's what repassivates the stainless.It's a scouring powder that you can buy just about anywhere for a few bucks. It's no more abrasive than any other scouring powder, though, so if you have a lot of rust you might be better off sanding it or using a stainless scrubby first.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Spend the $2.39 (or whatever paltry amount it is) and get some. It's cheaper than new kegs!

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

When I first got them I didn't realize that the bleach would do that. I emptied the soda out and then bleached them, as that was the sani I was using at the time ;) . I thought I rinsed them well, but maybe not well enough. B-Brite worked ok, but I figured I would need to repassivate.

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

When I first got them I didn't realize that the bleach would do that. I emptied the soda out and then bleached them, as that was the sani I was using at the time :wub: . I thought I rinsed them well, but maybe not well enough. B-Brite worked ok, but I figured I would need to repassivate.

Oh yeah. Bleach and stainless is a no-no. ;)

#11 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

BKF is the poor man's solution. It's very easy to find since all us cool hip homeowners have everything in SS now (soon the avocado green appliances will be back in style). Round here you can get it in the cleaner aisle of the chain supermarkets or walmarget.

#12 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Or any other stainless steel cleaner.

#13 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19229 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

The poor man's solution is to scrub off the rust, and let it sit exposed to oxygen for a few days or a week. That will re-passivate the stainless.A mild acid will help get rid of the rust if you have anything like that around. Seltzer water will work in a pinch.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

You need BKF because it has oxalic acid, that's what repassivates the stainless.It's a scouring powder that you can buy just about anywhere for a few bucks. It's no more abrasive than any other scouring powder, though, so if you have a lot of rust you might be better off sanding it or using a stainless scrubby first.

Spend the $2.39 (or whatever paltry amount it is) and get some. It's cheaper than new kegs!

wait - you can get this stuff anywhere? (ex. walmart, target, grocery store, etc.?)

#15 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

wait - you can get this stuff anywhere? (ex. walmart, target, grocery store, etc.?)

Yessir! I got my first can of it at Safeway. You can get a bigger can of it at Target and Walmart or CVS I think. Walmart for the best value. ;)

#16 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

Yup, we need to get you out more oftenPosted Image I was totally unaware of this stuff during my brewing hiatus. Now I notice it everywhere...........

#17 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Another thing you can do after a good cleaning is mix up a gallon or so of double-strength Star San — let your keg soak on its side, rotating every few hours. That will help clean up any rust spots that might be in there and repassivate the stainless at the same time. It’s better if you can get some of Five Star’s Acid 5 — it’s specifically designed to clean up stainless — but that’s not easy to get.

#18 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

Posted Image

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:12 AM

Yessir! I got my first can of it at Safeway. You can get a bigger can of it at Target and Walmart or CVS I think. Walmart for the best value. ;)

hot damn!

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64144 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:53 AM

The poor man's solution is to scrub off the rust, and let it sit exposed to oxygen for a few days or a week. That will re-passivate the stainless.A mild acid will help get rid of the rust if you have anything like that around. Seltzer water will work in a pinch.

No, that's the skinflint's solution. A plain old 'poor man' would just spring for the BKF.The rich man's solution is to pay someone else to do it for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users